Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence!

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #1  

MessickFarmEqu

Over the next two years most tractors over 25Hp will move to Tier 4 emmissions. This is done with engine credits so most companies will have a phased approach. We're starting to see more details trickling in on whats changing, and while I can't really give specifics at this point, I just wanted to throw up the flag and say BUY NOW!. The price increase in your typical compact tractor is comming in at over $3000. You will get marginly better fuel economeny which in a high hour applications can pay for the cost difference, but those of us compact owners putting on 150hr/year will end up with nothing but a slew of computers and toxic heavy metals under the hood.

If anyone within 200 miles of 17022 whats a deal, email me while I can still have most everything. I am slightly concerned that this may start to push the price of some tractors out of the reach of our customers.

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #2  
The sky is falling..

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #3  
Actually, with the economy he is correct. I was speaking with my dealer about this just a few days ago. It will add significant cost to the unit and more complexity. Other than that I don't know too much about it. I was aware of this some time ago and that's why I bought a new tractor last year. I am glad that I did.

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #4  
When the US went to unleaded gas did they add 3000 bucks to the car price?

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #5  
Look at the price of bobcat skid steers over 75 hp to get an idea of whats coming. I can tell you their is a 4 digit price increase between a tier3 and a tier4 model.

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #6  
Price increases and quality concerns are all the more reason to buy an older reliable tractor, and given their rising popularity it seems that others tend to agree. Seriously, who can justify spending 20-30k on a piece of machinery that will only be used a few times a year? Certainly not me.

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #7  
When the US went to unleaded gas did they add 3000 bucks to the car price?
Not at first as I remember, but it did add significant cost. Look at the price after calculating for inflation how much a new car costs now compared to a 1974 model. There have been significant technological improvements since then, but not without added cost. Dealers are concerned because they know that added pollution control features will add cost and complexity to an already expensive piece of equipment that users will be more likely not to purchase a new tractor. Also, consider the difference in market size between tractors and automobiles. The economy of scale is also a factor.

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #8  
IMO it would be better to VOTE this year for those in favor of less regulations especially those coming from the EPA. Like most federal agencies they have done some good but they can't control themselves either and are making all of us suffer the consequences of their actions. End of rant.

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #9  
Actually, with the economy he is correct. I was speaking with my dealer about this just a few days ago. It will add significant cost to the unit and more complexity. Other than that I don't know too much about it. I was aware of this some time ago and that's why I bought a new tractor last year. I am glad that I did.

Exactly, and it took a good many years before the engine management technology caught up. Anyone remember how their brand new mid-70's car or truck would continue to run for a few minutes after it was shut off?

Buy now and beat the expense... and headaches.

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #10  
Just bought a new one a couple of months ago.