Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence!

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #21  
Bought in April..I am good to go. This figured into my thoughts among other things.. Even if it is not true, about the 3000 dollar increase I still got a nice tractor at a nice price. If it is true, I got a nice tractor at a really nice price:)

James K0UA

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #22  
Dream on buddy. Chances of having quality parts to keep that old iron in working order 25-50 yrs from now??? I hope so but have put my money on a new ( then 25 yr old) Kubota for my uses. There are reasons you dont see the for- profit farmers running the old tracotors in their business they do get worn out and need to be replaced. I am in a position to buy what i want now and have it paid for and hopefully it will be with me when I get planted, then go on to my child and her family

Fortunately, I am not a for-profit farmer. And while I hope I'm still able to drive my tractor in 25 years, I think it's safe to say that 50 years is of no concern to me because I'll probably be worm buffet by that time.

Like you, I could easily buy a new tractor now, but as I mentioned previously, I can't justify dropping 20-30k on what amounts to being little more than an expensive toy. That may not be what for-profit dealers want to hear, but it's a harsh reality that they must face every day from people like me who have decided to shop "smart" by buying only what we need, as opposed to buying what we want.

There is a place/need/desire for old and new; just gotta figure which is best for our needs.

Exactly! :thumbsup:

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #23  
I look forward to my 2012 model-year tractor going up in value significantly if I ever decide to sell it. WOO HOO! I think I'll buy two or three more tractors just to hedge my bets.

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #24  
A question about longevity of parts availability come to mind. If in a couple of years there are nothing but Tier 4 engines made, will there be any possible effects of providing engine parts for tractors bought today if there is such an incompatibility from now to the near future? In other words: will obsolescence arrive faster say within a ten year period?

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #25  
When the US went to unleaded gas did they add 3000 bucks to the car price?

This post shows that you have absolutely no clue what is involved in Tier 4.

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #26  
Fortunately, I am not a for-profit farmer. And while I hope I'm still able to drive my tractor in 25 years, I think it's safe to say that 50 years is of no concern to me because I'll probably be worm buffet by that time.

Like you, I could easily buy a new tractor now, but as I mentioned previously, I can't justify dropping 20-30k on what amounts to being little more than an expensive toy. That may not be what for-profit dealers want to hear, but it's a harsh reality that they must face every day from people like me who have decided to shop "smart" by buying only what we need, as opposed to buying what we want.

Exactly! :thumbsup:

My MF 35 is a 1963 model just like me!! I will be keeping it until a fair price is offered , its prime working days are over even though with a completely restored engine,drivetrain it will work for another forty years I,m not betting the farm on keeping it running/working forever Part of my buying new now was to have a resonablly aged tractor when I am in my 60's didnt want to be depending on a 60 plus year old tractor to keep up the place. I gave up on justifying my wants/needs. it never works out.

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #27  
A question about longevity of parts availability come to mind. If in a couple of years there are nothing but Tier 4 engines made, will there be any possible effects of providing engine parts for tractors bought today if there is such an incompatibility from now to the near future? In other words: will obsolescence arrive faster say within a ten year period?

You're in the interim Tier 4 period right now, and you can still buy Tier 1-3 parts from name brand manufacturers can you not?

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #28  
My MF 35 is a 1963 model just like me!! I will be keeping it until a fair price is offered , its prime working days are over even though with a completely restored engine,drivetrain it will work for another forty years I,m not betting the farm on keeping it running/working forever Part of my buying new now was to have a resonablly aged tractor when I am in my 60's didnt want to be depending on a 60 plus year old tractor to keep up the place. I gave up on justifying my wants/needs. it never works out.

You might just be surprised. That 1963 model tractor just might out last many of the newer over-complicated tractors made today. If not, they are relatively cheap and plentiful so finding a decent replacement would not be difficult.

Seriously, as I have torn into the guts of my 1966 Massey 135 tractor while restoring it, I can't help but marvel at the sheer simplicity and durability of the design. Sure, there are some things I might have liked to have seen done differently, like having an external transmission filter, but overall it's a sound and reliable design. They truely don't make them like they used to. :)

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #29  
Our new 5740 with attachments will be delivered next week. I can't wait! I went in to order a 4240 and after listening to me the dealer offered a 5740 for almost the same price. Not all dealers are trying to profit from peoples insecurities. I have to admit though that I knew tier 4f was coming and wanted the newest last gen that I could get. If they weren't jumping tiers I would have waited longer. Probably until I died and then wouldn't have needed one anyway. :laughing: So while everyone is discussing whether the sky is falling, it was the push I needed. Sure it's a lot of money, but you can't take it with you so you might as well buy something to make life easier.

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #30  
Anyone think *****'s EPA coming out with the new standard of 54.5 mpg average for vehicles sold in 2025 isn't going to cost the consumer a lot more than $3000? Who said that the government is looking out for the little guy, not me.