Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
    Elite Member
    Tractor

Default Re: Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence!

Quote Originally Posted by arrow View Post
    LMAO.....I think the largest polluters (barring cars) are the myriad of commercial aircraft flying the bazillion routes they do on a daily basis. I wonder how many cars equivocate to the stuff coming out of one 757.
    There was a time in the not too distant past where I can remember looking at the sky and rarely seeing a jet flying overhead, now the darned things are everywhere. At any given time of day, I can look at the sky and see at least three jets going in all directions.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2620 (2012)

Where am I in this? The B2620 that I just bought new in July says "This engine meets 2011 Tier 4 emission regulations for USA, EPA and California non road CI engines". Maybe the cost was figured in already.
    Kubota B2620 HST

Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Quote Originally Posted by oldballs View Post
    Where am I in this? The B2620 that I just bought new in July says "This engine meets 2011 Tier 4 emission regulations for USA, EPA and California non road CI engines". Maybe the cost was figured in already.
    You have the Interim Tier4 that does not have any of the electronic injection or exhaust after treatment that will likely be on engine with same HP next year. Final tier4 for the 25 - 75 HP off road engines starts next year 2013.
    Dennis

CT225 w/7TL QA FEL, 60"tooth dirt bucket, 68" smooth bucket, Pallet Forks, Bale Spear. Hydrualic top llin, QH, 48 RC, 60" tiller, Angle blade, Landscape rake, Carry-all, Post hole auger.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2620 (2012)

Quote Originally Posted by SSdoxie View Post
    You have the Interim Tier4 that does not have any of the electronic injection or exhaust after treatment that will likely be on engine with same HP next year. Final tier4 for the 25 - 75 HP off road engines starts next year 2013.
    Well that makes me happy and my tractor too. Thanks Dennis
    Kubota B2620 HST

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

This is an overview of the Tier 1-4 standards by engine horsepower, date at which standard is applied, etc.
    Emission Standards: USA: Nonroad Diesel Engines

Tier 4 final rule signing dates back to 2004:
    Clean Air Nonroad Diesel - Tier 4 - Final Rule | US EPA
    "Tier 4 Standards. On May 11, 2004, the EPA signed the final rule introducing Tier 4 emission standards, which are to be phased-in over the period of 2008-2015 ..."
    Last edited by dave1949; 09-01-2012 at 08:30 PM.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."

Tractor
    Kubota 7510, Toro Groundsmaster 217D

Tier 4 is an unrealistic approach to the problem. As pointed out, the CUT is more often an occasional use tool.

As an example, not quite 100% accurate but- A base model B3200 will have an almost 20 percent cost increase in price because of this.

So, when are the credits, assistance, subsidies coming through for this? By and large, people don't buy a tractor purely as a recreational device or "toy" (well mostly.....). Yet, The government sponsored "cash for clunkers" to subsidize and increase car sales. Which, IMHO allowed those who could afford to upgrade- the opportunity to do so and didn't do anything for the majority of the country let alone the environment.

The tractor industry will suffer from decreased sales, lower need for production and ultimately layoffs and closing of plants...never mind the number of dealerships that may fold up. When all this happens- will the government step in to bail them out and pump money into this just as they did the auto industry?

If this is such an important step to protect the environment, then it should be affordable and accessible to all. If there is such a demonstrable need to get polluting engines out of service, why are there ANY exemptions?

...I now turn the soapbox over to the next candidate-
    I thank God everyday for all of the blessings he has given me- especially for the one's I do not recognize or see!

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by CBW1999 View Post
    Tier 4 is an unrealistic approach to the problem. As pointed out, the CUT is more often an occasional use tool.

As an example, not quite 100% accurate but- A base model B3200 will have an almost 20 percent cost increase in price because of this.

So, when are the credits, assistance, subsidies coming through for this? By and large, people don't buy a tractor purely as a recreational device or "toy" (well mostly.....). Yet, The government sponsored "cash for clunkers" to subsidize and increase car sales. Which, IMHO allowed those who could afford to upgrade- the opportunity to do so and didn't do anything for the majority of the country let alone the environment.

The tractor industry will suffer from decreased sales, lower need for production and ultimately layoffs and closing of plants...never mind the number of dealerships that may fold up. When all this happens- will the government step in to bail them out and pump money into this just as they did the auto industry?

If this is such an important step to protect the environment, then it should be affordable and accessible to all. If there is such a demonstrable need to get polluting engines out of service, why are there ANY exemptions?

...I now turn the soapbox over to the next candidate-
    There is not much left to say. a $3000 hit to a CUT is substantial, and I agree they should have been exempted up to 50 horsepower. But they weren't. It is always the unintended consequences that cause the most trouble.

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

CBW1999:

If you put a price on this EPA estimate (and accept it):
    "These reductions in NOx and PM emissions from nonroad diesel engines will provide enormous public health benefits. EPA estimates that by 2030, controlling these emissions would annually prevent 12,000 premature deaths, 8,900 hospitalizations, and one million work days lost."
    then we are talking about shifting costs from patients to tractor owners.

I have no idea about the rationale for exemptions. I can guarantee if there were none, that would be a point of criticism also.

I don't pretend to know what is "right" here, but there are things to consider. As a percentage of total purchase and maintenance costs, there is no denying Tier 4 seems to hit small tractor owners hard.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."

Tractor
    Bobcat S185 skid steer - Ferris IS500Z - JD GT235

Buy my low hour 2009 B3030 HSDCC now and avoid the substantial price increase!
    Todd

Also - E Terra E 60 SSQA backhoe Erskine 73" blower TSC QA boom pole Bradco 48" forks JLG T350 Boom Lift 1997 Ford F Super Duty 7.3 Powerstroke w/ Altec AT 200A bucket CAM Superline 6x12 dump Kristi 7x18 enclosed American Hauler 7x14 enclosed

The good thing will be that unlike a car there is no inspections for tractors so once you get it home you can do what you want to it.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast