Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence!

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #51  
LMAO.....I think the largest polluters (barring cars) are the myriad of commercial aircraft flying the bazillion routes they do on a daily basis. I wonder how many cars equivocate to the stuff coming out of one 757.

There was a time in the not too distant past where I can remember looking at the sky and rarely seeing a jet flying overhead, now the darned things are everywhere. At any given time of day, I can look at the sky and see at least three jets going in all directions.

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #52  
Where am I in this? The B2620 that I just bought new in July says "This engine meets 2011 Tier 4 emission regulations for USA, EPA and California non road CI engines". Maybe the cost was figured in already.

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #53  
Where am I in this? The B2620 that I just bought new in July says "This engine meets 2011 Tier 4 emission regulations for USA, EPA and California non road CI engines". Maybe the cost was figured in already.

You have the Interim Tier4 that does not have any of the electronic injection or exhaust after treatment that will likely be on engine with same HP next year. Final tier4 for the 25 - 75 HP off road engines starts next year 2013.

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #54  
You have the Interim Tier4 that does not have any of the electronic injection or exhaust after treatment that will likely be on engine with same HP next year. Final tier4 for the 25 - 75 HP off road engines starts next year 2013.
:)Well that makes me happy and my tractor too. Thanks Dennis

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #55  
Last edited:
   / Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #56  
Tier 4 is an unrealistic approach to the problem. As pointed out, the CUT is more often an occasional use tool.

As an example, not quite 100% accurate but- A base model B3200 will have an almost 20 percent cost increase in price because of this.

So, when are the credits, assistance, subsidies coming through for this? By and large, people don't buy a tractor purely as a recreational device or "toy" (well mostly.....). Yet, The government sponsored "cash for clunkers" to subsidize and increase car sales. Which, IMHO allowed those who could afford to upgrade- the opportunity to do so and didn't do anything for the majority of the country let alone the environment.

The tractor industry will suffer from decreased sales, lower need for production and ultimately layoffs and closing of plants...never mind the number of dealerships that may fold up. When all this happens- will the government step in to bail them out and pump money into this just as they did the auto industry?

If this is such an important step to protect the environment, then it should be affordable and accessible to all. If there is such a demonstrable need to get polluting engines out of service, why are there ANY exemptions?

...I now turn the soapbox over to the next candidate-

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #57  
Tier 4 is an unrealistic approach to the problem. As pointed out, the CUT is more often an occasional use tool.

As an example, not quite 100% accurate but- A base model B3200 will have an almost 20 percent cost increase in price because of this.

So, when are the credits, assistance, subsidies coming through for this? By and large, people don't buy a tractor purely as a recreational device or "toy" (well mostly.....). Yet, The government sponsored "cash for clunkers" to subsidize and increase car sales. Which, IMHO allowed those who could afford to upgrade- the opportunity to do so and didn't do anything for the majority of the country let alone the environment.

The tractor industry will suffer from decreased sales, lower need for production and ultimately layoffs and closing of plants...never mind the number of dealerships that may fold up. When all this happens- will the government step in to bail them out and pump money into this just as they did the auto industry?

If this is such an important step to protect the environment, then it should be affordable and accessible to all. If there is such a demonstrable need to get polluting engines out of service, why are there ANY exemptions?

...I now turn the soapbox over to the next candidate-

There is not much left to say. a $3000 hit to a CUT is substantial, and I agree they should have been exempted up to 50 horsepower. But they weren't. It is always the unintended consequences that cause the most trouble.

James K0UA

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #58  
CBW1999:

If you put a price on this EPA estimate (and accept it):
"These reductions in NOx and PM emissions from nonroad diesel engines will provide enormous public health benefits. EPA estimates that by 2030, controlling these emissions would annually prevent 12,000 premature deaths, 8,900 hospitalizations, and one million work days lost."
then we are talking about shifting costs from patients to tractor owners.

I have no idea about the rationale for exemptions. I can guarantee if there were none, that would be a point of criticism also.

I don't pretend to know what is "right" here, but there are things to consider. As a percentage of total purchase and maintenance costs, there is no denying Tier 4 seems to hit small tractor owners hard.

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #59  
Buy my low hour 2009 B3030 HSDCC now and avoid the substantial price increase! :laughing:

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #60  
The good thing will be that unlike a car there is no inspections for tractors so once you get it home you can do what you want to it.