Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    2009 New Holland 1510

I'm as resistant to change as anyone. It seems crazy that they gum up such a simple, durable engine as a diesel with electronics. More points to fail, yet, they have been able to boost power and efficiency. Some of the mandates do force us to move forward.
    Can't restrict the old equipment? California is regulating/eliminating any diesel engine in road use older than 2010.
    Not sure where it's all headed but I don't feel like my son has it as good as I did....

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    kubota b3200: kubota b7800: kubota rtv900

Default Re: Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbys_1700 View Post
    If you look at the history of Tier I, II, III, and now IV, it has wreaked havoc on the over the road tractor diesel industry...
    Freightliner has two plants located here in Mt. Holly and Cleveland...
    Everytime a new tier is coming into effect the company has to hire workers and work overtime due to the freight companies buying a lot of tractors before the new regulations take place...
    Once the regs take place and the new higher prices take effect then the business falls off to nothing...
    They then go through the process of laying off a bunch of people they had to hire in order to get out the increased demand on the previous Tier regulations...
    I am all for environmental protections but this madness has got to stop sometime...
    Those yo-yo's in Washington are a bunch of blithering imbeciles and have no clue on how law effects employment until after the fact...

i couldn't agree more! i have seen the "bugs" with these new systems where i work at the state transportation dept. the regen systems are a pita! at least the initial systems until the "bugs" get worked out through trial and error so to say. our plow trucks in the winter that have these regen systems on them have to pull off the road to regenerate for up to 45 minutes. looks good in a snow storm for a plow truck to sit there just to regenerate, while the pre tier 4 trucks just keep going. with our macks i have seen quite a few issues go back for warrenty work on these systems.

the tier 4 final is the most stringent and drastic change yet by far, and for those who don't believe it will increase the cost of a new tractor, haven't researched it much. the $3000 EXTRA is about right and it is just more to go wrong. add computers and more to cram under the hood and you got more to break down. now i do believe over the years to come, companies will "fine tune" this stuff more and just by trial and having the systems out there being run and over the years will fine tune and work out the bugs. then i believe it would be ok to buy one, but not now, the bugs aren't worked out quite yet. many companies were and still are scrambling to figure it out and perfect it and it even put some companies out of the engine business.

these new tier 4 final standards made me make up my mind and buy now to advoid having it on my tractor. i now have a tractor that has technology that has been run and tested for years and fine tuned, not rushed to meet standards in time with all new technology un tested fully. i say if you are going to buy, buy now.

Tractor
    JD 7720; Kubota M135GX, NH TS115A; JD 6230; Kubota L5740

I assume everyone blaming the current administration for tier 4 noticed the regulation went into effect in 2004 when the White House, Senate, and House of Representatives were controlled by Republicans.

I had a 3 year European assignment and worried about fuel cost. Turned out it was a break even. My much better performing European diesel had so much better fuel economy than the American fuel hog I parted with my cost per mile was slightly better in Europe, and I am talking about 3 years of recording every liter and kilometer, comparing them with my history of gallons and miles and doing the conversion. Sure my 1970 Nova ran on leaded fuel, but it got 12. Mpg highway averaging slower speeds than my current car using unleaded that gets 30 mpg highway. Oil comes out of the same holes in the ground, the US uses less imported oil now than in 1970 when I bought my Nova. The Koch brothers are the ones who have ended up sitting fat and happy.
    JD7720; KubotaM135GX; NH TS115A; JD6230; KubotaL5740

Tractor
    LS5030u Yanmar 1610

Did tractor companies get smart and make twice or three times the number of 2012? Knowing that 2013s would be a huge jump in price.
    I just see the 2012s that are setting on the lot in 2013 going for above sticker price for those who don't want to play the tier 4 diesel restriction game. It would allow some breathing room for these guys instead of retooling to produce new engines for a regulation no longer in effect.
    I can't imagine speeding HUGE amounts of capital on something that may or may not be necessary especially in this economy.

Tractor
    Kubota L3400, Farmall H

Quote Originally Posted by MHarryE View Post
    I assume everyone blaming the current administration for tier 4 noticed the regulation went into effect in 2004 when the White House, Senate, and House of Representatives were controlled by Republicans.

I had a 3 year European assignment and worried about fuel cost. Turned out it was a break even. My much better performing European diesel had so much better fuel economy than the American fuel hog I parted with my cost per mile was slightly better in Europe, and I am talking about 3 years of recording every liter and kilometer, comparing them with my history of gallons and miles and doing the conversion. Sure my 1970 Nova ran on leaded fuel, but it got 12. Mpg highway averaging slower speeds than my current car using unleaded that gets 30 mpg highway. Oil comes out of the same holes in the ground, the US uses less imported oil now than in 1970 when I bought my Nova. The Koch brothers are the ones who have ended up sitting fat and happy.
    Facts and logic seldom prevail on the net.....

Tractor
    Kubota L3400, Farmall H

Quote Originally Posted by CBW1999 View Post
    Tier 4 is an unrealistic approach to the problem. As pointed out, the CUT is more often an occasional use tool.

As an example, not quite 100% accurate but- A base model B3200 will have an almost 20 percent cost increase in price because of this.

So, when are the credits, assistance, subsidies coming through for this? By and large, people don't buy a tractor purely as a recreational device or "toy" (well mostly.....). Yet, The government sponsored "cash for clunkers" to subsidize and increase car sales. Which, IMHO allowed those who could afford to upgrade- the opportunity to do so and didn't do anything for the majority of the country let alone the environment.

The tractor industry will suffer from decreased sales, lower need for production and ultimately layoffs and closing of plants...never mind the number of dealerships that may fold up. When all this happens- will the government step in to bail them out and pump money into this just as they did the auto industry?

If this is such an important step to protect the environment, then it should be affordable and accessible to all. If there is such a demonstrable need to get polluting engines out of service, why are there ANY exemptions?

...I now turn the soapbox over to the next candidate-

Layoffs I don't wish on anyone. But none of these cuts are manufactured here. Deere might do some assembly here, but 90% of the parts are made elsewhere. I think you have to get into the 100hp class to get a US made tractor.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester

Quote Originally Posted by MessickFarmEqu View Post
    Over the next two years most tractors over 25Hp will move to Tier 4 emmissions. This is done with engine credits so most companies will have a phased approach. We're starting to see more details trickling in on whats changing, and while I can't really give specifics at this point, I just wanted to throw up the flag and say BUY NOW!. The price increase in your typical compact tractor is comming in at over $3000. You will get marginly better fuel economeny which in a high hour applications can pay for the cost difference, but those of us compact owners putting on 150hr/year will end up with nothing but a slew of computers and toxic heavy metals under the hood.

If anyone within 200 miles of 17022 whats a deal, email me while I can still have most everything. I am slightly concerned that this may start to push the price of some tractors out of the reach of our customers.
    most new tractors the wiring harnesses alone in them is so complex, and trying to hunt down a pin / color of wire is very time consuming or less you have a computer with wiring diagram you can pull up quickly and easily. adding a couple extra things is not going to cause a much more complexity to wiring harnesses than what they already are.

i been behind way to many tractors to on road trucks. and was gasping for breathable air. when i was younger, things have been much much better in past years.

you just gotta wonder sometimes what folks were thinking when they did this or that, when building a tractor and placement of a muffler, as you drive into the wind. and get nothing but fumes. as you hold your breath and lean to the side, and your eyes water so much they are dry within a few minutes due to the fumes.

how many folks actually know how to fix a problem on current tractors? vs taking it into a repair shop on current machines? those folks that go with newer machine, and DIY the repair, i doubt there will be much of a large learning curve if hardly at all. seriously marketing for SCUTs and CUT owners. that more likely have a regular day job. vs using the tractor as part as the day job.

a new tractor, is always going to have the new gadgets and do dads, that come with it, big deal teir 4 doings with an engine. it is just part of getting something new. and sales and marketing folks always trying to make another buck as quickly as they can, vs letting things take time to pay for things.
    Ryan

Tractor
    Kubota 5030HSTC

Exactly

This means facts are hard to find on the net....infrequently they do exist.
    Also, good logic is hard to find on the net......does exist, but rare.

Putting the two together in the same post....happens, but exceptionally rare.

Now, adding a political component to this and expecting the discussion to be based on facts AND logic....well, the truth is in the eye of the reader before the facts AND logic are presented, thus truth seems to be a personal and immutable verity with uncountable exceptions (so few that they are inconsequential).

Quote Originally Posted by 300UGUY View Post
    Facts and logic seldom prevail on the net.....
    Joy is having the tools you need and needing the tools you have!

Kubota 5030 HSTC, BB, Danueser PHD, LA853 QA HD FEL w JD toothbar, 3pt chisel, 3 pt disk, 6' shredder, Kubota FEL hay spike, 3pt hay fork w carryall, Kubota RTV 1140

Tractor
    Kubota 7510, Toro Groundsmaster 217D

Quote Originally Posted by JJZ 109 View Post
    Buy my low hour 2009 B3030 HSDCC now and avoid the substantial price increase!
    -Couldn't see that one coming!

Quote Originally Posted by dave1949 View Post
    CBW1999:
    If this is such an important step to protect the environment, then it should be affordable and accessible to all. If there is such a demonstrable need to get polluting engines out of service, why are there ANY exemptions?

If you put a price on this EPA estimate (and accept it):
    "These reductions in NOx and PM emissions from nonroad diesel engines will provide enormous public health benefits. EPA estimates that by 2030, controlling these emissions would annually prevent 12,000 premature deaths, 8,900 hospitalizations, and one million work days lost."
    An "Estimate" of what will happen over 15-20 years?!?!?! Then why haven't we heard of this from the CDC? I have a hard time believing that estimate is worth the entire program. The CDC reports for 2009 almost 2.5 million deaths in the us. based on this, the diesel emission requirements will prevent 0.05% of the total deaths in the us. There is a clearer link between second hand smoke and lung cancer. Cancer is the second leading cause of death in the US so, why has there NOT been an entire ban on smoking?

NHSTA reports in 2010 almost 33000 deaths from traffic accidents. 32% of these involved alcohol. So..............

To go one further- In the first year of tier-4, if 1000 compliant units are purchased, that would be 3,000,000 dollars spent based on the increase. Wouldn't it be more prudent to find a use for that money that the CDC identifies as important. Aside- there are MANY things each americans can do to improve health and safety.

Quote Originally Posted by 300UGUY View Post
    Layoffs I don't wish on anyone. But none of these cuts are manufactured here. Deere might do some assembly here, but 90% of the parts are made elsewhere. I think you have to get into the 100hp class to get a US made tractor.
    Think global. Eventually this will effect the global economy. If we aren't buying, assembly slows/stops. Fewer imports of parts......factory slowdowns at the point of origin. Regardless, fewer purchases mean negative impact on the industry.
    I thank God everyday for all of the blessings he has given me- especially for the one's I do not recognize or see!

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

Quote Originally Posted by CBW1999 View Post
    -
    An "Estimate" of what will happen over 15-20 years?!?!?! Then why haven't we heard of this from the CDC? I have a hard time believing that estimate is worth the entire program. The CDC reports for 2009 almost 2.5 million deaths in the us. based on this, the diesel emission requirements will prevent 0.05% of the total deaths in the us. There is a clearer link between second hand smoke and lung cancer. Cancer is the second leading cause of death in the US so, why has there NOT been an entire ban on smoking?

NHSTA reports in 2010 almost 33000 deaths from traffic accidents. 32% of these involved alcohol. So..............

To go one further- In the first year of tier-4, if 1000 compliant units are purchased, that would be 3,000,000 dollars spent based on the increase. Wouldn't it be more prudent to find a use for that money that the CDC identifies as important. Aside- there are MANY things each americans can do to improve health and safety.
    The CDC hasn't been keeping secrets: Environments Air Contaminants - CDC Tracking Network The impact on health of particulates is an old topic.

The actions on smoking and lung cancer have long been aggressive using taxes, cessation programs and teen education. We do have a total ban on drugs, that works The government and insurance industry have made a lot of progress in making vehicles safer, so work is being done there.

But, bringing up deaths or health issues by other causes, to defend no preventive action on a cause you don't agree with is illogical. Do you really want me to believe you are satisfied with that logic?

One million lost work days each year, how to value that? It costs employers and employees. If you assign a very conservative value of $15 to an average lost work hour, a lost day is worth $120. A million of those is $120M per year from that alone. What are 12,000 premature deaths and 8,900 hospitalizations worth?

As I said, I don't pretend to know what is right. I know it's not cut and dried.

To have an informed useful opinion I would need at least some of these:
    medical knowledge to understand and agree or disagree with the EPA health impact assessment.
    knowledge of atmospheric chemistry.
    to know if engine manufacturers are using the most cost efficient technology to meet the standards.
    to understand the choice of SCR or EGR.
    to understand advanced engine design.

Lacking all the above, I try to keep an open mind on these topics.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast