Buying Advice Are package deals really a good deal?

/ Are package deals really a good deal? #1  

bananaman

Tractor
Kubota MX5100 HST
Still in research mode here and have noticed that some dealers here in Texas have package deals on tractors. Since I am starting with nothing and I will need a utility trailer in the future anyway I was wondering if getting a package would be best, or do some of the implements offered tend to be of a lower quality?
Don't know if I should mention names or not, but Fosters in east TX is one of the bigger one's. They have tractor, trailer, brushcutter, box blade, post hole digger w/auger, & canopy as a normal package.
Anyone buy one of these? Are there any trade-offs?
Thanks.

/ Are package deals really a good deal? #2  
I'm not from Texas so no I haven't bought one of those. The only way you can compair and really know if they are good deals is to have individual pricing from others and know the price of the tractor to add in and get a final number. It's hard to do apples to apples in that kind of comparison but if the quality of the impliments is the same it should be close. I am not one who would think that a package deal would be the best way to go, but that is just me and really doesn't carry any weight. I enjoy shopping for my impliments, and when I do I can get the type and quality I want or feel that I need for my particular needs I may even find a used item that is in good shape at a good price and for way less money. Again I didn't start at 0 I had other tractors and other impliments and am just adding as I need them, or even just going larger that I had so I already know what I want or at least I thing I do!

Hope that is of some help, but in the long run its all about you and what you want to do or you feel is right for you. My suggestion is to not cut yourself out of the fun of shopping for the items just to get a package, even window shopping is fun for tractor guysw!

/ Are package deals really a good deal? #3  
In general package deals will save you money upfront. Think of it this way if you but many things at once the dealer has more wiggle room to still make a decent profit and give a decent discount. But you need to have the money upfront. If you don't then get the tractor and as time goes on buy your implements used.

/ Are package deals really a good deal? #4  
the way to know if your saving any money on the package deal is to price everything seperately an then add it togather.an then price the package deal an see how much your saving.

/ Are package deals really a good deal? #5  
the way to know if your saving any money on the package deal is to price everything seperately an then add it togather.an then price the package deal an see how much your saving.

You'll save some fuel, too, getting the package. I saved some bucks buying a trailer at the implements dealer along with 3 implements, saving a couple 80-mile round trips at 10mpg. But it only makes sense if you're getting what you want at the quality you want.

/ Are package deals really a good deal? #6  
You'll save some fuel, too, getting the package. I saved some bucks buying a trailer at the implements dealer along with 3 implements, saving a couple 80-mile round trips at 10mpg. But it only makes sense if you're getting what you want at the quality you want.[/QUOTE]

This. Make sure the implements are what you want/need. If financing they'll be included so less money up front. When I bought my second tractor, I chose to buy used implements at a much cheaper price except for my shredder which I use so often I decided to go for a higher quality and new.

/ Are package deals really a good deal? #7  
If you are a persone who want top shelf implements it isn't a good deal as almost everything in the packages economy grade. If you aren't interested in specialized equipment then the packages have more appeal and usually will save you some money. I personally prefer to buy top quality tools and would rather buy them one at a time even if it takes a while to afford what I want. I have some lower quality implements that I feel I wasted money on and will take a beating on when I sell them. So I think it is best to buy it right the first time.

/ Are package deals really a good deal? #8  
You have to know what you are buying. What is each piece really worth? I have seen some pretty nice package deals on fastline or tractor house. Some even come with chains and binders. One thing I have noticed is some package deals have older tractors and some are not hydro. I checked out fosters website and they do not say what kind of implements or trailers the packages come with. One place they may be cheaping out is the trailer may only have brakes on one axle. Would the implements and trailer also qualify for 0% apr?

/ Are package deals really a good deal?
I checked out fosters website and they do not say what kind of implements or trailers the packages come with. One place they may be cheaping out is the trailer may only have brakes on one axle. Would the implements and trailer also qualify for 0% apr?

I was wondering that too. I'm thinking just the tractor would qualify because some of the implements don't look like Frontier.

/ Are package deals really a good deal? #10  
I have seen some package deal ads in Tractorhouse magazine with trailers that looked way too small for the tractor. The loader was resting on the trailer tongue and the rotary cutter was hanging way off the back. I wouldn't want the smallest trailer that you could possibly cram the tractor on.