Buying Advice What is the best generator for our needs?

/ What is the best generator for our needs? #1  

catdiva6

Hi all,
We are thinking of getting a generator (portable) and I am clueless and overwhelmed by all of the choices. I do know we would probably like diesel, would be nice if could run on propane as well. Enough power to run house (everything need not run at once). Would like to be able to run well pump if needed (believe it's 220vac). Would like to stay under 2k or even $1500.
What are the best brands, and which brands should we stay away from? Which extra features would you look for? Any specific dealers? Also, we live in CA and seems like there are some restrictions in regards to certain generators. Thanks in advance!

/ What is the best generator for our needs? #2  
Hi all,
We are thinking of getting a generator (portable) and I am clueless and overwhelmed by all of the choices. I do know we would probably like diesel, would be nice if could run on propane as well. Enough power to run house (everything need not run at once). Would like to be able to run well pump if needed (believe it's 220vac). Would like to stay under 2k or even $1500.
What are the best brands, and which brands should we stay away from? Which extra features would you look for? Any specific dealers? Also, we live in CA and seems like there are some restrictions in regards to certain generators. Thanks in advance!
C'mon -
Search the threads, there are a lot of threads on generators.

We need to know SIZE because it does matter.

Do you have an energy minimal house? Or an all electric behemoth? There's a big difference between a 6KW natural gas generator and a 50KW diesel, either mounted on a trailer.

More facts please.

/ What is the best generator for our needs?
Thanks Newbury. I have scrolled the threads and they actually leave me more confused and with a stiff neck! We have natural gas, propane and electric. Based on what I have read diesel is our top choice, followed by propane. If power went out we would want to keep fridge running and be able to run small electric appliances but not the A/C 24/7. What confuses me most is if we wanted to power our well which has a 3 or 5 hp pump and 240v. I was looking at one that was key and remote start. Do you guys think it's better to have a coil vs remote start? What about air vs liquid cooled in my price range? Best brand and dealer for up to $2k max (would like to stay below $1500) that ships to CA.

/ What is the best generator for our needs? #4  
From what I have researched online, it is a real crap shoot with the China made diesel generators (all the diesel generators you will find in that price range).

/ What is the best generator for our needs? #5  
Let me ask you this: why is diesel your top choice? The reason I ask is that a lot of the reasons why a person might choose diesel, such as fuel efficiency, are often not offset by the significantly higher up-front cost of a diesel generator. That's especially true now that diesel fuel is as or more expensive than gasoline.

/ What is the best generator for our needs? #6  
catdiva,

For diesel you can either buy used or new. Hardy diesel in CA 7-33 kW Diesel - Hardy Diesel's & Equipment Inc * Diesel Generators These as you will see are $6-8K.

If you have natural gas then Generac makes a decent 8-15KW whole house generator that is automatic and probably would be $3-5K installed.

But before you go any further you need to calculate your total amperage load. What concerns me is your well pump - 3-5 HP is a huge starting load and may be 3Phase as well.

The rest of your loads can be likely handled by a portable genset 6-8KW probably. You should have a label on your pump control box stating the HP and amperage draw if you dont then have an electrical contractor that does generators come out and spec a system for you.

So get your load data together - lights, fridge, hot water heater, furnace and then the well pump is the critical one.

If you do have a big well pump then another option (cheaper) would be to put in a 500 gallon storage tank (enough for a few days basic use) and use a smaller pump 1/2HP connected to that tank when you lose power.

/ What is the best generator for our needs? #7  
I think your price range goal and the things you are mentioning are not realistically aligned. From what you are saying you want to power, it sounds like a typical home small backup generator. If you want the convenience of minimal effort to use the generator, you will pay for it. Do you mind wheeling out and connecting a portable, or are you looking for something that starts on its own when power goes out?

If you make a list of the circuit breaker amp ratings (separated into 120v or 230v groups) for the various things you want to run, that would help you zero-in on a needed generator capacity. A good 5500 to 6500 watt generator will power a typical home for all the basics like microwave, TV, lights, well pump, furnace blower, refrig. and freezer with power to spare. Things that draw lots of power like an elec. water heater, clothes dryer, AC or heat pump unit, electric range/oven require special consideration.

My portable gasoline Honda 6500 watt generator is 13 years old, has seen a fair amount of use and other than the battery going bad, it has a manual pull rope starter too, it hasn't had any issues. But using it is a very hands-on process hooking up wires, moving it outside, throwing breakers, adding fuel, etc.

You should consider fuel type in the light of how available it would be, or easy to get in a prolonged outage situation, how well does the fuel store long-term, etc. Do Cal. quakes take out the natural gas lines for example.

/ What is the best generator for our needs? #8  
Hi all,

Where in Ca do you live? The deserts in the South or cooler/cold portion in the North? What time of yr do you generally have power outages? These are important things to know.

Don't let these questions everyone is asking overwhelm you. They are being asked because they are important in trying to give useful advise. Propane is not an alt fuel for a diesel engine. Propane doesn't have the energy content of gasoline or diesel fuel so you will be using a lot more of it. Additionally, propane doesn't vaporize as quickly when the temp drop. At 20F a 400 gal propane tank would be hard pressed to supply you with enough vaporized fuel to run a 7kW generator and that with the tank about half full. If tank fuller than that, that will reduce the vaporization rate. If low temps are a reality when the genny is needed, you'd be better off drawing liquid from the tank and vaporize it in a warmer area (enclosed genny possibly). That adds to the cost of a premium you pay for a propane setup.

Do you plan on adding a transfer switch panel so it eases the task of connecting the genny to the house and controls what circuits have power when being supplied by the genny? Having someone do the install including a large propane tank will eat up all your budget. You may need to rethink your budget and what you can get by without during an outage.

One last thing, why do you think you have a well pump in the 3-5HP range? Awful large pump for a typ home setting.

If you really need a backup power source, don't let all the questions and comments discourage you.

I personally have 3 gensets. A small 1kW inverter and that will more than supply the power needs for most of the things I'd like to have running for longer periods. I also have a port 6.5kW genset that is hooked up through a switch panel. It can address the needs for the more power hungry things like the well and (4) frigs/freezers. Also have a 4kW genset in the motorhome. The small genny sips fuel ~5hrs run time on 3 qts of gas @ half load. That will run the lights I need, power my pellet stove for heat (typ our power outages happen during the winter), power the TV and computer with power to spare. The large genny would only be use a few hrs a day to run the refrigeration equip and replenish the water supply. Use of any high load appliances would not be used during these emergency situations.

/ What is the best generator for our needs? #9  
I think the most important single thing to do first, is to find out what you really have for a deep well pump. If you do realy have a 3 or 5hp pump that totally changes what you would need for a genny.

/ What is the best generator for our needs? #10  
I think the most important single thing to do first, is to find out what you really have for a deep well pump. If you do realy have a 3 or 5hp pump that totally changes what you would need for a genny.

This is a really good point.