Case IH 55A

/ Case IH 55A #1  

onceacop

Silver Member
Tractor
D17 series III, 1758 Massey Ferguson
Have 50 hours on her now since new. Mixed feelings so far. As I feared all the safety switches are becoming an issue. It doesn't start every time so I need to jiggle the gear, shuttle and range levers until I shake the connection. Assume it is in the wiring. Brakes need to be locked, arse on the seat, and all three levers in neautral to start or exit the tractor for a log on the trail. Too many steps. Heaven only knows how I didn't kill myself on a Farmall M. Small hydraulic leak off the filter housing hose. At transport speeds on the county road the breather on rear diff. weeps enough that I place a rag over it or I get a pool of fluid on the floor. There is no FWD indicator light when it is engaged yet they have a plugged air filter icon. Go figure. Tractor has a poor turning radius. Plan ahead for the turn. Filters changed at the 50 hour mark were a ***** to get off. Now for the good//
Very fast tractor, quiet and economical. Easy maintenance. Smooth and more power than I need. Responsive with a good variety of speeds to select from. I love the subtle whistle the turbo make at 1500 RMP. Shuttle feature works better than I thought. As soon as the tractor is stopped I can be going the other direction. Extremely fast and no gear clash. Shifting the supposedly synronized 8X8 trans. isn't a good idea. They don't mesh very well so it's not worth getting lucky once in awhile. Low profile with the ROPS down for in the woods. Good lighting at night. Traction is as I expected. Locked in FWD I can climb over some of my trail barriers I use to keep out vechicle trespassers. Like a little cable skidder, it just crawls up something. The ride is smoother than I expeced also. Little lawn damage with the tires which surprised me. A Bobcat tractor on R4 tires is more rigid a ride. Lots of platform space for big boots or a few tools or logging chain you might want at your feet. Pricing for this unit was about $19000. I think it is alot of tractor for the money.

DSC00169.jpg

DSC00069.jpg

Mowing movie PEG

/ Case IH 55A #2  
Good review! But I have a question...is that an airplane wing I see in the second picture. Are you some kind of rich farmer or just one of those citified hobby guys? Inquiring minds want to know!!!

PS. Being an old farm boy, I have a major dislike for all those safety switches. Damned if I can figure out how it happens but the one's on my equipment seem to get rewired/bypassed....still trying to figure out how they mysteriously get disabled.

Last edited:
   / Case IH 55A #3  
Isn't your tractor still under warranty? If so contact your dealer and have them see if it is one of the NSS's and if so they will take care of it for you. So far I have not had any trouble and I also found that the only shifter I need to have in neutral on my 45A is the H/L shifter. It is actually pretty stupid since that is the shifter that you can easily bump getting on or off the tractor but if I have every other shifter in gear except for that one I can get off the tractor without the engine shutting down.

/ Case IH 55A
Robert,
I did contact Case. Warranty is in effect.I am over 150 miles from a dealer and they won't transport or pay mileage nor will they reinburse another shop that isn't an authorized Case IH dlr. so if I can figure out some kind of jumper and over-ride the safety switch It will be cheaper than 300 miles trailering at $3.89 a gallon and taking a day off. When I bought this tractor at Value Implement in Menonomie WI. I knew I was going to be a long ways away from a dealer. The nearest is Titan in Thief River Falls MN. The problems with being remote are limited services. I feared all the safety crap on this tractor and low and behold it has failed. Will report back what I do to get it running.

/ Case IH 55A #5  
On my TN there were three NSS's. All three were identical. I haven't looked at them on my Farmall but it may be something as simple as buying one or even having your dealer send you one (don't think they were very expensive) and just start swaping them out till you find the culprit. Hopefully one of the mechanics where you bought if from could help you figure out how to test them, I can't remember myself but it should be something they can explain over the phone.

/ Case IH 55A
Much appreciated will initiate the call....