looking at an owatonna onan 2 cyl engine skid steer

/ looking at an owatonna onan 2 cyl engine skid steer #1  

jomar215

Bronze Member
Tractor
don't
I am looking at an owatonna (mustang?) onan 2 cyl engine 48" wide skid steer that seems to run well, but I don't know anything about this brand and neither does the seller. Can anyone with a working knowledge of these things lend me your brain? fill me in? point me away if I'm looking at a hornet's nest?

Thanks, Josh.

/ looking at an owatonna onan 2 cyl engine skid steer
owatonna.jpeg

/ looking at an owatonna onan 2 cyl engine skid steer #3  
Mustang model 910? Came with either Onan air cooled or little Yanmar diesel. Has Cessna hydrostatic pumps & gear pump. Drive motors are 4k series Eaton, control valve for the loader was Danfoss. Pretty good little machine, fairly easy to work on compared to some skid-steers. A couple of cautions with the Onan; It is air cooled so take the heat shields off the motor periodically and blow the cylinder and head cooling fins out/clean and put heat shields back on so it will cool. Also, it uses an impluse activated diaphragm fuel pump so shut gas off at the tank when trailering it down the road. Fuel tank is higher than the engine so vibration can allow gas to run in and overfill the crankcase.

/ looking at an owatonna onan 2 cyl engine skid steer #4  
Back up and regroup. I posted my reply before your picture. Machine pictured is a 330 built mid 70s - early 80s. The 910 came into production early to mid 90s.

/ looking at an owatonna onan 2 cyl engine skid steer #5  
SS, don't ever leave TBN. I'll have my Bobcat S185 soon and you're a skidsteer guru! :thumbsup:

Thanks SS.

Ok, it's a mustang 330. So, mustang was a skid loader manufacturer out of Wisconsin, I gather? Googling a bit I found that it is very, if not entirely, similar to a John Deere 70 skid loader. I can't find too much more than that except maybe that parts could be had for a from John Deere if your willing to pay.

I also fount that it's hydrostatic drive and that the pump was a little undersized and tended to break? Thoughts?

How's that t-bar work?

The guy wants $3,200 for one real nearby me. I've found others for about that which had been fully serviced, new parts, roll cage included ... thoughts?

Thanks!

It does have an Onan 2 cylinder motor which I think is gasoline powered? Is that right?

/ looking at an owatonna onan 2 cyl engine skid steer #8  
I have to apologize for wandering away from here for a few days and not responding.
The OMC Mustang was built by Owatonna Mfg in Owatonna, MN. Company went through a couple transitions, is now owned by Gehl. OMC did build loaders for John Deere for a number of years in 70's & 80's so it is the same as JD70.
The pump breakage problem referred to as I remember it was caused by incorrect alignment of the engine to the pump - couple would be misaligned appling stress to the casting around pump shaft and it would crack. Yes, this is gasoline engine.

Hmmm, thanks SS. I think I'm going to take a look at it. Thanks again for your input. I appreciate it.