Bronze Member
    Tractor
    don't

Default looking at an owatonna onan 2 cyl engine skid steer

I am looking at an owatonna (mustang?) onan 2 cyl engine 48" wide skid steer that seems to run well, but I don't know anything about this brand and neither does the seller. Can anyone with a working knowledge of these things lend me your brain? fill me in? point me away if I'm looking at a hornet's nest?

Thanks, Josh.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    don't

-owatonna-jpeg

Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Default Re: looking at an owatonna onan 2 cyl engine skid steer

Mustang model 910? Came with either Onan air cooled or little Yanmar diesel. Has Cessna hydrostatic pumps & gear pump. Drive motors are 4k series Eaton, control valve for the loader was Danfoss. Pretty good little machine, fairly easy to work on compared to some skid-steers. A couple of cautions with the Onan; It is air cooled so take the heat shields off the motor periodically and blow the cylinder and head cooling fins out/clean and put heat shields back on so it will cool. Also, it uses an impluse activated diaphragm fuel pump so shut gas off at the tank when trailering it down the road. Fuel tank is higher than the engine so vibration can allow gas to run in and overfill the crankcase.
    Dennis

CT225 w/7TL QA FEL, 60"tooth dirt bucket, 68" smooth bucket, Pallet Forks, Bale Spear. Hydrualic top llin, QH, 48 RC, 60" tiller, Angle blade, Landscape rake, Carry-all, Post hole auger.

Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Back up and regroup. I posted my reply before your picture. Machine pictured is a 330 built mid 70s - early 80s. The 910 came into production early to mid 90s.
    Dennis

CT225 w/7TL QA FEL, 60"tooth dirt bucket, 68" smooth bucket, Pallet Forks, Bale Spear. Hydrualic top llin, QH, 48 RC, 60" tiller, Angle blade, Landscape rake, Carry-all, Post hole auger.

Tractor
    Bobcat S185 skid steer - Ferris IS500Z - JD GT235

SS, don't ever leave TBN. I'll have my Bobcat S185 soon and you're a skidsteer guru!
    Todd

Also - E Terra E 60 SSQA backhoe • Erskine 73" blower •TSC QA boom pole • Bradco 48" forks • JLG T350 Boom Lift • 1997 Ford F Super Duty 7.3 Powerstroke w/ Altec AT 200A bucket • CAM Superline 6x12 dump • (2) Kristi 7x18 enclosed • 2014 Ford F250 Super Cab gasser • 2007 Mustang GT • 2007 Crown Vic P71 Police Interceptor

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    don't

Thanks SS.

Ok, it's a mustang 330. So, mustang was a skid loader manufacturer out of Wisconsin, I gather? Googling a bit I found that it is very, if not entirely, similar to a John Deere 70 skid loader. I can't find too much more than that except maybe that parts could be had for a from John Deere if your willing to pay.

I also fount that it's hydrostatic drive and that the pump was a little undersized and tended to break? Thoughts?

How's that t-bar work?

The guy wants $3,200 for one real nearby me. I've found others for about that which had been fully serviced, new parts, roll cage included ... thoughts?

Thanks!

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    don't

It does have an Onan 2 cylinder motor which I think is gasoline powered? Is that right?

Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

I have to apologize for wandering away from here for a few days and not responding.
    The OMC Mustang was built by Owatonna Mfg in Owatonna, MN. Company went through a couple transitions, is now owned by Gehl. OMC did build loaders for John Deere for a number of years in 70's & 80's so it is the same as JD70.
    The pump breakage problem referred to as I remember it was caused by incorrect alignment of the engine to the pump - couple would be misaligned appling stress to the casting around pump shaft and it would crack. Yes, this is gasoline engine.
    Dennis

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    don't

Hmmm, thanks SS. I think I'm going to take a look at it. Thanks again for your input. I appreciate it.