Hp vs weight in new tractor

/ Hp vs weight in new tractor #1  

streamin

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5035 HST
I sold my Kubota L5030 2 years ago and now looking at a new one. I love Kubota but not sure on the price anymore. I was looking at Mahindra.They seem to have some really happy owners here. the question is about the weight of the tractor.I want to stay at least with a 50 hp but since the mahindra weighs close to 1500/2000 lbs more in the same class, will it take more hp just to move the machine? If so, how much higher should I be looking at for the same power?
I also like the front tires on Mahindra, very beafy! The small Kubota tires always seem to get lost in the mud. Any input is appreciated.

/ Hp vs weight in new tractor #2  
All the built in weight on the Mahindra will just be added on to a Kubota for proper ballast. Even the Mahindra will need more weight, but at the end, ballasted properly they should weigh similar amounts. My biggest question is where is all that lost weight coming from? And why pay extra for the more ballast. If you want anything other than a very expensive glorified lawn tractor, weight is only your friend.

/ Hp vs weight in new tractor #3  
I think it also depends on it usage. If you are plowing or discing, weight is your friend. Also heavy loader work will benefit from weight. But if you are just mowing or doing light work, a lighter tractor may have advantages. I don't know much about Mahindra, but would expect that to compare apples to apples, you may want to look at the M series Kubota vs. the L series. My understanding it is more of a heavy farm duty tractor like the Mahindra, where as the L is a "gentleman's" tractor. I have a M 6800 with an FEL and loaded tires, so it is plenty heavy.

/ Hp vs weight in new tractor #4  
One great way to add weight to a tractor is to buy a cab! Best weight adder I know of....but seriously....

If you are looking for some $avings, look at Kioti as well. They don't have the nifty extra wide front tires (which I DO wish I had), but they are very nice much like the L series Kubota.

/ Hp vs weight in new tractor
The weight will be used for loader work, maybe a small amount of disc but also mowing, moving trees, etc. The mahindra has the weight and a cheaper price, those front tires are pretty attractive too. I did think of Koiti, haven't looked yet. Bobcat has a nice one but there biggest one may be borderline small on hp. I also prefer hst so the m series may be out for that.

/ Hp vs weight in new tractor #6  
I wouldn't expect the extra weight of the Mahindra to help you for loader work. You want ballast behind the rear tires and that's not where the extra weigh will be. It's most likely between the front and rear tires and will counter any rear ballast, doubtfully enough to make a real difference though.

/ Hp vs weight in new tractor #7  
I wouldn't expect the extra weight of the Mahindra to help you for loader work. You want ballast behind the rear tires and that's not where the extra weigh will be. It's most likely between the front and rear tires and will counter any rear ballast, doubtfully enough to make a real difference though.
For digging work though, 1000lbs more tractor weight pretty much equals a 1000lbs more pushing force delivered to the bucket edge if you are using 4wd... Not insignificant in clay soil I'd think.
I went with heavy is better theory as I didn't plan on finish mowing with it, and so far I don't really see and downside for me atleast.

/ Hp vs weight in new tractor #8  
Rule of thumb is 1 HP per 100# of weight...
Kubota's and Yanmar's will typically be under that before ballast...
My NH 1720 compact weighs 2800# before loading tires and has 28 HP...
My old Yanmar YM 1700 had 20 HP but only weighed 1550#...
Most Mahindra's and Kioti's will be a little over that general 100# rule...
For moving dirt you want more weight...
For mowing less...
That is why the B and BX models from Kubota are excellent mowing units...
Very light weight...
Don't get hung up too much on it...
Get the tractor you like best for your intended purposes...
Most all major manufacturers make excellent units...
Dealer support is important in my opinion if you need service...

/ Hp vs weight in new tractor #9  
not sure about the weight but if i remember correctly the massey's have pretty big front tires.

/ Hp vs weight in new tractor #10  
Which Mahindra tractor are you looking at? Are you looking at the 5010 HST or the 5035 HST? There is a difference between the two tractors. The 5010 is actually a TYM tractor made for Mahindra while the 5035 is an actual Mahindra tractor. The 5035 is a beast and is considered a compact tractor by Mahindra, but with a loader, that tractor weighs almost 7,000lbs which can be heavy for a lawn though good for your other work.