Buying Advice Wanting to upgrade from my Jubilee

/ Wanting to upgrade from my Jubilee #1  

Jed Cooper

Tractor
Ford NAA
Can I get some recommendations for a tractor to upgrade to. I like the size of my little Jubilee but it just doesn't have the power/torque I want when scraping the barn, post-hole digging, lifting with the 3-pt. I'm really tired of no pwr steering, no front loader, weak 3pt hyd's, PTO and fuel (gas) economy and the Brush Hog pushing me an additional 15ft while I'm standing on the clutch/brakes trying the stop:eek:. I was hoping it'd have more power once I had the engine/clutch rebuilt but it's not enough.

I'd like a similar or modestly larger sized tractor with more power/torque. A tractor with a reliable diesel (long running series) engine, a common front loader, power steering, PTO that isn't so difficult to turn on/off, more 3-pt lift power and yet be under $6k(dreaming?). Maybe an old JD, IH, Case, MF, Ford... these are the most common around here.

Thanks

/ Wanting to upgrade from my Jubilee #2  
When I read your post, at first it sounds like you had the ford for awhile. After reading the last part and you don't have a over riding clutch on it yet that tell me different.
If the money is there I'll would go ahead buy new with everything on it. Just make sure to get the right HP for your needs and that way you well keep it for years. If you are a young man with a family and money is alittle tight then do as you got planed. The tractors you talked about are all good, just get one new enough that parts are not NLA I'm older and this should be the last main tractor I well buy, so I got the GL4240. It has a lot of nice stuff on, so it is makes it easier on this old body.

/ Wanting to upgrade from my Jubilee #3  
Jed,
What you are looking for in improvements/upgrades are in most newer tractors. You should look at different models on TractorData.com - information on all makes and models of tractors for a comparison of specs on most tractor models made past and present. You can also look at Used Tractors For Sale at TractorHouse.com: John Deere Tractors, used farm tractors and farm equipment, tractors for sale, Case IH, New Holland, Agco, Kubota and Used Farm & Agricultural Equipment - John Deere MachineFinder for available tractors to buy. This should provide you with some information on pricing and a quick way to get information on available tractor models in your locale.

/ Wanting to upgrade from my Jubilee #4  
The above 2 replies have a lot of good info. Check everything out. First of all, get your self an ORC. (Over Riding Coupler) This lets the brush hog spin down after you depress the clutch and keeps you
from running into the barn, fences, car etc. The transmission driven PTO's are notorious for these thing.
Good Luck
Tom

/ Wanting to upgrade from my Jubilee #5  
Well, lets see.

1, I'd say the hyds need rebuilt if they are slow and weak. that machine should esilly pick up a round bale on the 3pt. in fact.. if you chain the 3pt to the ground.. it should lift the front wheels off the ground.. if not.. it's unhealthy.

2, ps could be available for 54+ machines

3, loaders for that axle design are plentifull.. though it is not the best axle for the job.. but does work.

4, gas? i kinda like it.. but if you find a late 58+, you can get the same form factor in an oil burner.

5, bush hog inertia pushing you? that's your own fault. ORC cost between 45 and 65$ and prevents inertia from pto loads from translating thru the drive train. PS.. pushign the clutch and standing on the brake is non effective.. all it does is decouple the engine from the tranny which is being backfed via the pto shaft... a fast clutch and pto shut off would decouple you from both.. immediately.. though the ORC completely takes care of the issue. In any case.. in 55+ dual clutch became a standard option...

6, more power? step up from the 134ci platform to a 172 or 192. and yes.. you can get a diesel, and a heavier front axle and power steering and a dual clutch.

IE.. a light industrial diesel with dual clutch.. will be just about the same size as your naa.. look darn similar.. have near 50 hp, .. and just pick up the steering and pto options when you make the choice. getting out of the industrial front axle setup opens you up to the 860/861/4000 pre 65 line and all those are live pto, and 172ci, find one with ps and you are basically set. 01 models could be diesel.

soundguy

Can I get some recommendations for a tractor to upgrade to. I like the size of my little Jubilee but it just doesn't have the power/torque I want when scraping the barn, post-hole digging, lifting with the 3-pt. I'm really tired of no pwr steering, no front loader, weak 3pt hyd's, PTO and fuel (gas) economy and the Brush Hog pushing me an additional 15ft while I'm standing on the clutch/brakes trying the stop:eek:. I was hoping it'd have more power once I had the engine/clutch rebuilt but it's not enough.

I'd like a similar or modestly larger sized tractor with more power/torque. A tractor with a reliable diesel (long running series) engine, a common front loader, power steering, PTO that isn't so difficult to turn on/off, more 3-pt lift power and yet be under $6k(dreaming?). Maybe an old JD, IH, Case, MF, Ford... these are the most common around here.

Thanks

/ Wanting to upgrade from my Jubilee
Thanks guys,

When I read your post, at first it sounds like you had the ford for awhile. After reading the last part and you don't have a over riding clutch on it yet that tell me different.
If the money is there I'll would go ahead buy new with everything on it. Just make sure to get the right HP for your needs and that way you well keep it for years. If you are a young man with a family and money is alittle tight then do as you got planed. The tractors you talked about are all good, just get one new enough that parts are not NLA I'm older and this should be the last main tractor I well buy, so I got the GL4240. It has a lot of nice stuff on, so it is makes it easier on this old body.
I've been on/off this tractor for at least 25yrs but it's only been handed down to me for just a couple years now. The engine was rebuilt just the year before I got it. Not liking it's quirks, the only thing I've done for it is give it a tune-up and a 3-pt post-hole auger. I was thinking of using it for a trade-in to get something younger but I can't afford much over $6k. I'm also looking for a tractor that'll be easier on my body.

The above 2 replies have a lot of good info. Check everything out. First of all, get your self an ORC. (Over Riding Coupler) This lets the brush hog spin down after you depress the clutch and keeps you
from running into the barn, fences, car etc. The transmission driven PTO's are notorious for these thing.
Good Luck
Tom
I don't get into dealerships much; too many new trucks in their parking lot. But now that I know that an ORC is made and under $100 I'll be getting one tomorrow.

Well, lets see.

1, I'd say the hyds need rebuilt if they are slow and weak. that machine should esilly pick up a round bale on the 3pt. in fact.. if you chain the 3pt to the ground.. it should lift the front wheels off the ground.. if not.. it's unhealthy.

2, ps could be available for 54+ machines

3, loaders for that axle design are plentifull.. though it is not the best axle for the job.. but does work.

4, gas? i kinda like it.. but if you find a late 58+, you can get the same form factor in an oil burner.

5, bush hog inertia pushing you? that's your own fault. ORC cost between 45 and 65$ and prevents inertia from pto loads from translating thru the drive train. PS.. pushign the clutch and standing on the brake is non effective.. all it does is decouple the engine from the tranny which is being backfed via the pto shaft... a fast clutch and pto shut off would decouple you from both.. immediately.. though the ORC completely takes care of the issue. In any case.. in 55+ dual clutch became a standard option...

6, more power? step up from the 134ci platform to a 172 or 192. and yes.. you can get a diesel, and a heavier front axle and power steering and a dual clutch.

IE.. a light industrial diesel with dual clutch.. will be just about the same size as your naa.. look darn similar.. have near 50 hp, .. and just pick up the steering and pto options when you make the choice. getting out of the industrial front axle setup opens you up to the 860/861/4000 pre 65 line and all those are live pto, and 172ci, find one with ps and you are basically set. 01 models could be diesel.

soundguy
1.Yup, the hyd's are shot so I'll be looking into how to fix those.
2.Even though it's a '54 (I think) it doesn't have ps.
3.This one actually had a FL but it was scavenged off long before I got it. It worked but had all of the drawbacks of having a FL on it.
4.This think gulps gas so long term fuel storage isn't an issue, unfortunately. I'm wanting the benefits of an oil burner.
5.Getting one soon.
6.+ I'll be looking into these.

Good feedback, thank you all but, part of what I was looking for was the "common knowledge" of did/do any of those common older tractors I mentioned have an extremely long lasting series (engine & other mech's) that would make it a durable with common/easy to find parts? BTW, what's so special, besides the price, about JD's?

/ Wanting to upgrade from my Jubilee #7  
Good feedback, thank you all but, part of what I was looking for was the "common knowledge" of did/do any of those common older tractors I mentioned have an extremely long lasting series (engine & other mech's) that would make it a durable with common/easy to find parts? BTW, what's so special, besides the price, about JD's?

It's the bragging rights of owning a tractor that is so expensive that tehy must grind up money to get the green color in the paint.

the big 3 (4) manufacturers all have good products...

ps.. if your naa burns gas.. it's either running rich, has the wrong ms carb, or has a zenith on it.. or.. it's leaking.... 134/naa are pretty miserly.. :)

good luck...

/ Wanting to upgrade from my Jubilee #8  

Thanks

I grew up around those little Ford tractors. They were great tractors in their times....and can still do allot of work. The design was waay ahead of its time. But....for all the reasons you stated I own a JD 3320 and 300cx loader. Every problem you have is resolved with this tractor...in spades! Problem is....you are going to have a problem getting what you want in the price range you stated.

Maybe a 90's version of a Kubota or JD tractor in about 30 HP will get you in that range. It's going to take some carefull shopping and you have been given good sites to read up. Your Jubilee should still be a desireable trade.

Glad you learned about the OR clutch before you got hurt.

/ Wanting to upgrade from my Jubilee #9  
There are probably lots of tractors that could fit the request. If you find a MF 50/65 or 150/165 with a 3 cylinder Perkins diesel my guess is you would be pretty happy. Very fuel efficient and can do quite a bit of work.

/ Wanting to upgrade from my Jubilee #10  
The 65/165 may have a 4 cylinder Perkins.