Buying Advice Massey 2605 vs Kumota L3400 vs New Holland vs Deere

/ Massey 2605 vs Kumota L3400 vs New Holland vs Deere #1  

gatordog

Tractor
1980 MF 280, 1979 IH 684
I am looking at new tractors that I can afford, and it looks like the 40 hp and under is what I need and can afford. I was wondering if the Kumota L3400 would hold up to the Massey 2605. They are both about the same on power, but the Massey is not a compact tractor and is built heavier. The main problem is the Massey is built in India and does not have the good Perkins engine. To get a non-compact Kumota I would need to go to a MX5100 which is 10,000 dollars more at 25,300 with a loader. The smaller Massey and compact Kubota are both around 16,000 with a loader.

I still need to look at New Holland and John Deere. All machines will need to have a loader included, I will buy the other implements like a cutter, box blade, post hole digger (auger) at a later date, unless a someone has a good package deal with good attachments. I see that some of those so called package deals have good tractors, but off brand attachments.

I want a simple tractor, and I know the old Ford tractors made in Japan are excellent, are the New Hollands made in Japan just as good?

/ Massey 2605 vs Kumota L3400 vs New Holland vs Deere #2  
The two things I don't care for on the 2605 are the transmission and drum brakes, that would be a deal breaker for me. The hydraulics on the MF look better than the Kubota as well as the 3PH specs. The Kubota has a better transmission and less weight, the weight could be important depending on what you need to do. The Kubota has better wet disc brakes too.

Something else to consider is that there are lots of older tractors that are better in most cases than the two simple tractors (MF 2605 and Kub L3400) you have selected. My old 820 has the 8f 4r transmission similar to the Kubota L3400, two stage clutch, hydraulic wet disc brakes, load and depth control and many other features. Power steering was an option I don't have it though and that makes for more effort when working in close quarters as I do very frequently. You could buy one and fix it up a little at a time and sell it out right at a later date when you can upgrade to something bigger.

/ Massey 2605 vs Kumota L3400 vs New Holland vs Deere
I still might go used, don't like the ideal of buying these compact tractors. I am currently looking at some tractors here in Texas. My list include some JD 2940 with loaders, some Ford 3910, 4600 and one very clean 3910 II, a International 674, and an old Massey 283. All have loaders. I real like the Ford 4600 at Vogel Tractors, but it will be 9,000 delivered. The Ford 3910 II is super clean with only 458 hours, but at 9,750 that is what it went for new back in the day, talk about holding value. Note, all the JD's that I have called on, all have different transmission problems which will require splitting the tractors. Is this common? I know back 20 years ago I worked for farmers and we were always splitting the Deeers to work on something, they are good machines, but expensive to fix.

/ Massey 2605 vs Kumota L3400 vs New Holland vs Deere #5  
gatordog,
I don't know of any brand or model tractor that requires frequent splitting right off. All the tractors need to be split to change the clutch if you wear it out but if operated properly that isn't a frequent event. If you do alot of back and forth work with a loader you should consider a hydrostatic tractor if buying new in the 40 hp and under class.

Can you tell us what you plan on using the tractor for as this will help us help you? A little about the lay of the land will also help.

/ Massey 2605 vs Kumota L3400 vs New Holland vs Deere
It was not the same tractor we split, it was different ones. The last was a 5020 that needed a crank. I will not do a lot of back and forth, so a regular transmission is fine. I will mainly use for maintaining roads, hauling dirt around the farm, clearing small trees and brush, cutting grass under trees, etc. Will also like a auger to build fencing and animal shelters. I might do some planting on a separate 17 acre field, so a 4 row machine will be fine. The last tractor I borrowed for work was a 4020 and it did the job, except it had the controls for the box blade on the dash, which I did not like. I want the controls on the lower right side so you can see what you are moving.

/ Massey 2605 vs Kumota L3400 vs New Holland vs Deere #7  
It was not the same tractor we split, it was different ones. The last was a 5020 that needed a crank. I will not do a lot of back and forth, so a regular transmission is fine. I will mainly use for maintaining roads, hauling dirt around the farm, clearing small trees and brush, cutting grass under trees, etc. Will also like a auger to build fencing and animal shelters. I might do some planting on a separate 17 acre field, so a 4 row machine will be fine. The last tractor I borrowed for work was a 4020 and it did the job, except it had the controls for the box blade on the dash, which I did not like. I want the controls on the lower right side so you can see what you are moving.

Sounds like a mixed bag of jobs to do not unlike most members here. I had a 4020 with the dash mounted levers for remotes like the one you mention. My 4520 is setup with the joystick controlling the topntilt hitch and works great for controlling my boxblade and landplane. I definately prefer the ehydro transmission for most of the jobs you mentioned. Heres a couple of pics,

/ Massey 2605 vs Kumota L3400 vs New Holland vs Deere #8  
Gatordog,

The Kubota MX5100, 2wd can be had for $14000 new at deenimplement.com. The FEL would be additional but that is an inviting price. Lot of the dealers in the Dallas area are putting on "State Fair" pricing and packages that are worth looking at.

Greenhaw

/ Massey 2605 vs Kumota L3400 vs New Holland vs Deere #9  
If you have a Kioti dealer in your area, take a look at the DKxxSE series. You will be quite suprised at the amount of tractor you can get for the $.

/ Massey 2605 vs Kumota L3400 vs New Holland vs Deere #10  
Last I talked to him he bought a used Massey 231