New Tractor With No Electronics ?

/ New Tractor With No Electronics ? #1  

DirtMerchant

Tractor
2012 L4240C
I am looking very seriously at a new Farmall 40 or New Holland 40 (new ones coming out with Cabs). One of my biggest concerns is the new ones seem to only have the cab available with the CVT option, from what I understand the CVT option required electronic controls for the CVT and Engine.

I am expecting to keep this tractor for 10 - 15 yrs and I am worried that electronic module failures will occur, and since both of these tractors seem to have vacillated between varying manufacturers (LS, Shibaura, whats next?) what happens when the control module or sensor craps out 7 or 8 yrs from now, will I still be able to get replacement parts?

I am starting to think I might be better off purchasing a tractor with minimal or no electronics at all if such an animal exists in this day and age?

/ New Tractor With No Electronics ? #2  
a tractor with minimal or no electronics at all if such an animal exists in this day and age?
The only one I can think of, and I could be wrong (usually am) that have no electronics is the Chinese tractors, Farm Pro, Jinma etc. Electronics are great when they work but it's when thry don't that it gets expensive as there's usually nothing you can do your self.
I've got a Jinma 204 and the simplicity of the tractor is something crazy. Turn the key, starter turns, fuel goes in and away it goes.....Mike

/ New Tractor With No Electronics ? #3  
The only one I can think of, and I could be wrong (usually am) that have no electronics is the Chinese tractors, Farm Pro, Jinma etc. Electronics are great when they work but it's when thry don't that it gets expensive as there's usually nothing you can do your self.
I've got a Jinma 204 and the simplicity of the tractor is something crazy. Turn the key, starter turns, fuel goes in and away it goes.....Mike

Could not agree more. Mine is a Foton. Has heavy grade steel bodywork none of this plastic guards etc. No electronics.

/ New Tractor With No Electronics ?

Yes, I am aware of the Jinma's being super simple, which I really like, but while the price is fantastic, there is no service / warrantee unless you do the work yourself and get the parts shipped to you. I am purchasing a new tractor to get the warrantee and dealer service so if something goes wrong I can call the local dealer and get it fixed under warrantee, the Chinese tractors seem to be a crap shoot, if your lucky you get a good one with no issues that lasts forever and works hard, if not you end up with a 4wd boat anchor that nobody will work on....

/ New Tractor With No Electronics ? #5  
Yep, I can see your point.
I don't mind doing the work myself....so far anyway. Other than the initial cam bearing being put in upside down which meant I had to split the tractor I've had no other problems thankfully. I bought it new and cheap figuring even if I had to but some parts I was still getting off a lot cheaper than buying north American. Saying that it was disappointing to have to do major work on a new machine but that's the way it goes....Mike

I can do my own work, but I prefer to own a tractor that does the work rather than requires the work. I don't have that much time available at my property, just weekends and don't want to spend my weekends in the shed working on the tractor, I want to spend them outside using the tractor, another reason for me purchasing new with dealer support. Maybe down the road when I retire the Chinese ones will become more attractive to me, especially if dealer support becomes available.

/ New Tractor With No Electronics ? #7  
I can do my own work, but I prefer to own a tractor that does the work rather than requires the work. I don't have that much time available at my property, just weekends and don't want to spend my weekends in the shed working on the tractor, I want to spend them outside using the tractor, another reason for me purchasing new with dealer support. Maybe down the road when I retire the Chinese ones will become more attractive to me, especially if dealer support becomes available.

I can understand this also. Look for the Euroleopard (Foton) believe they do 5 years parts and labor warranty on their 40hp + range.....3 years on their 25hp range.

/ New Tractor With No Electronics ? #8  
If you are concerned about parts or specifically electrical parts I think your best defense is to buy a popular tractor. I would shy away from limited production units, and new models that are not proven yet. Recognize that some of the most popular tractors built today have electronics and seem to be reliable but if you have problems these parts are available.

FWIW, I have had my 110tlb for almost 8 years and no problems with any electronics so far. But, the features and conveniences offered by virtue of having the electronics are well worth it in my opinion. If you do need parts the Deere parts are hard to beat.

If you are concerned about parts or specifically electrical parts I think your best defense is to buy a popular tractor. I would shy away from limited production units, and new models that are not proven yet. Recognize that some of the most popular tractors built today have electronics and seem to be reliable but if you have problems these parts are available.

FWIW, I have had my 110tlb for almost 8 years and no problems with any electronics so far. But, the features and conveniences offered by virtue of having the electronics are well worth it in my opinion. If you do need parts the Deere parts are hard to beat.

I would have to agree, I'm starting to price/compare the Kubota's and Deere's now....

/ New Tractor With No Electronics ? #10  
I personally like to update. Trading or selling a used NH or Deere in my area is a cake walk. Ask 10% less than the dealer price and its like spreading bird seed. If you have a Jimna, Kiota, Zetter, or other " Buy for less " brands there is no dealer network or repair facilities in my area. They are constantly on the computer for sale and it appears the market for them is not too strong. A large Mirahnda dealer just closed shop to the east of us and all the equipment was trucked to another location. Another dealer sales person stated they had alot of warranty service calls and waiting for parts made some customers very unhappy. Couple this with the fact the dealer did not want to take their unit in trade due to the drop in value.
Not saying they are not quality tractors / attachments ........ I just don't want to invest thousands in something and not be able to update easily. Your situation may be different. Deere, though a bit more expensive, has parts available for twenty year old equipment which says alot about their value.