Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    m5400 kubota

Default 3 point mowers. Finish vs Rotary cutters

I am looking to mow fields of grass 6 to 12" in height. I have been using a kubota zd331 with good results. I have allot of love grass which is hard to mow. I am looking at the ds96 woods or a prd 8400 woods . any thoughts

Tractor
    Deere 3720 Cab

Default Re: 3 point mowers. Finish vs Rotary cutters

i would go with a rotary cutter for that application.

Advertiser EverythingAttachments's Avatar
    Tractor
    Which One do you want to know about?

A flail mower is designed for rougher applications than a finish mower an gives you a much nicer finish cut than a rotary cutter. Have you looked into those?
    Ted Corriher
    www.EverythingAttachments.com
    1-866-581-5818

A family-owned American Company that also sells quality Made in USA Implements every chance we get! We pride ourselves on giving good product information and putting the needs of our customers above our own!

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

hp per foot though.. hard to beat a plain jane rotary cutter. flails eat hp.. and have a higher maint cost / time with the knives.. etc..

the only people around here that even try to use flail mowers are the county.. and that's because they are spending our money.. not their own money.

not a single one of the commercial mower outfits around here mows with anything but a rotary mower.. or grub mower for the land clearing stuff.. etc..

Tractor
    MF 285 Long 560 MF2670 CX100

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    hp per foot though.. hard to beat a plain jane rotary cutter. flails eat hp.. and have a higher maint cost / time with the knives.. etc..

the only people around here that even try to use flail mowers are the county.. and that's because they are spending our money.. not their own money.

not a single one of the commercial mower outfits around here mows with anything but a rotary mower.. or grub mower for the land clearing stuff.. etc..
    Agree 100%. I do custom mowing also and use a rotary mower. Finish mowers were not made to cut like you are wanting to do, mainly yards and manicured fields.
    I can fix anything from a broken heart to the crack of dawn.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    7040 HDC 1153 fel

no question id go with the 3pt shredder.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    '65 IH Cub Lo-Boy, '13 Kioti DK50SE HST

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy
    Flail mowers don't eject & throw stuff at high velocity like rotary mowers do, and they impact hard objects with minimal damage so they hold up better. When I was a kid all the municipal mowers used sickle bars to cut roadside ditches, now they use flails because they don't break as often and don't throw stuff through car windshields. But they are very slow going and do not leave a fine finish cut.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

our county still has a couple older flails.. but hasn't bought a new one in at least a decade.. same goes for the cities too.

too easy to go with rotarry cutters, rubber or chain guards, where applicable / specified.. and 1mil insurance..

I don't recall reading about a municipal mower ever damaging a passanger car.. and I read the paper pretty much every day..

simply way cheaper to run a rotary...

Tractor
    NH TN 55, Kubota B2320 & RTV 900, Bad Boy Outlaw 61" ZTR

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    our county still has a couple older flails.. but hasn't bought a new one in at least a decade.. same goes for the cities too.

too easy to go with rotarry cutters, rubber or chain guards, where applicable / specified.. and 1mil insurance..

I don't recall reading about a municipal mower ever damaging a passanger car.. and I read the paper pretty much every day..

simply way cheaper to run a rotary...
    I see counties using a mixed bag of rotary and flail cutters in my neck of the woods, although rotaries seem to predominate.

It has been a few years, but I recall reading about a Myrtle Beach (SC) motorist who was killed when struck by flying debris from roadside mowing by the county (or city?). I still cringe when I pass roadside mowers.

Steve

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

Finish mower would work better at the small end of your range. (in the 6" stuff), and leave a better finish.

But if finish isnt a huge concern, and time is, you cannot beat a rotary cutter. In 10-12" stuff, it will easily be 2x's faster than a flail or finish mower.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540