Buying Advice Skid steer -vs- Compact Tractor

/ Skid steer -vs- Compact Tractor #11  
I will agree with prior posters. A tractor is better suited to your "bucket list". If you have more than 10 acres, especially more than 20, a tractor of 35-40 HP would be sufficient. The Kubota L39 would seem to be a perfect fit and generally the loaders are beefier. Once you get your Timber tract under control you could opt for a smaller "maintenance" tractor. Kubota does hold their value and the way the money supply is going a tractor may not be a bad investment!

/ Skid steer -vs- Compact Tractor #12  
I have both a tractor and a tracked loader (skid steer with two rubber tracks instead of 4 tires). In addition to the good points made by the others:

1) if your property is large, it takes a much longer time to travel it with a skid steer. And they ride rough. 2) a tractor has good visibility toward the sides and back, fair visibility toward the front. The skid steer has excellent visibility forward, poor visibility to the sides, and the rear is blind. This is a real disadvantage when manuevering in tight quarters.

/ Skid steer -vs- Compact Tractor #13  
One thing to consider is the type of soils and the topograghy of your land. Generally a tractor is better in the muck. I have a 110hp skid steer and a 9540 Kubota. They each have their place. Many here would be suprised what a SS with (over the tire) steel tracks will do in the nasty stuff, but they also only have only about 10in. of ground clearance for the rocks and stumps. Not considering your operating conditions, the SS will run circles around a tractor for loading. digging, clearing, post holes (down pressure) and stacking logs. But all those SS attachments are built several times more "beefier" (and it will cost you) than most small Cat I tractor attachments, and the loaders on tractors are, IMO really for chores and not designed or intended for much more. But I still say get your start with a tractor and buy as much HP as you can afford, the bigger the tractor, the harder it is to "overload/work" it, and we all do that! no matter what size!:laughing:

Attachments

• April snow& graderblade 004.jpg
    April snow& graderblade 004.jpg
    1,005.5 KB · Views: 580
   / Skid steer -vs- Compact Tractor #14  
A tractor is like a swiss army knife, it does everything you can imagine at a very reasonable price. Albeit, none of it is done perfectly. A skid steer is like a part of that swiss army knife, but in it's perfected form and about 3 times more than a swiss army knife (aka tractor). If you're willing to shell out a lot of money, a skid steer is a viable option. But for me, I get by perfectly fine with my tractors....

/ Skid steer -vs- Compact Tractor #15  
How much money do you want to spend? If you're budget is limited then a used SS that will fit your budget may have lots of hours on it and possibly worn. It's not something I would buy if I wanted a piece of equipment that'll last me a very long time. Most SS are built very strong but they are bought by contractors who need to work them to get their money back out of them.

/ Skid steer -vs- Compact Tractor #16  
I'm a tractor novice looking for advice on the best suited machine for my application, skid steer or compact tractor. I have a fair sized timber tract that requires the following work:
  • clearing property lines of timber & brush. Dirt work required for fencing
  • Install fence
  • mowing firebreaks
  • improving old pond, constructing new pond
  • improving roads, installing ditches and water bars
  • piling up timber slash
I estimate it will take me 50 years to accomplish all this so I need something that will last also!
Both are vary capable machines. Attachments for a skid steer are more money and harder to find used. A skid steer with a forsety cutter would be nice for clearing the property line but a tractor and a rough cut and a will do the job. You are going to need a good chainsaw. I think a skidsteer would be better with a post hole digger because you have down pressure and it would be easier to get into place. You can get a post hole digger for a tractor and a downpressure kit. Both should do the job of mowing a firebreak but a roughcut is cheaper for a tractor but I do like the idea of the mower in front of the skidsteer. A skidsteer would be better for building and working on a pond. Both can be used to improve roads but I think ditch may be easier with a tractor. Both could be used with a grapple to pile up timber slash. If you went with a skidsteer you can rent attachments for them. I guess it depend on how much money you want to spend.

/ Skid steer -vs- Compact Tractor
No ambiguity here! Buy the tractor, rent the SS.

thanks for the advice, I'll start looking.

/ Skid steer -vs- Compact Tractor #18  
I don't have any experience using a SS, but I do have experience browsing price lists on the Internet, and the difference between hydraulic-powered implements for a SS, and PTO-powered implements for a tractor, is something like 3x to 4x. On top of that, you can get lightly-used three-point implements for a tractor all day long; SS implements are much rarer, and you are likely to get something that has been dogged out by a commercial user. Unless you have a lot of money to spend, or have a very specific use for the skid-steer (like you're loading gravel all day long), get the tractor. The tractor is a much better general-purpose implement.

/ Skid steer -vs- Compact Tractor #19  
I have limited experience with a skid steer but they are a pain to get in and out of, if you are a big guy. They are terrible riding in. I used a John Deere 250 which is a medium sized one and there was very little room to put your feet in it and the process getting in it was memorable. Every move to get in or out had to be choreographed. After a couple days on that scooping, carrying and traveling my body was shot.

I have noticed a compact tractor it is much easier to get in and out of, more room inside the work area, a lot smoother riding, higher ground clearance and attachments are fairly reasonable. Road speed is much faster and it is easier to cruise over the the neighbors to visit. CUT's are much better on a lawn than a SS. SS are no doubt better for contractor usage, but I'm not a contractor.

/ Skid steer -vs- Compact Tractor #20  
One thing to consider is the type of soils and the topograghy of your land. Generally a tractor is better in the muck. I have a 110hp skid steer and a 9540 Kubota. They each have their place. Many here would be suprised what a SS with (over the tire) steel tracks will do in the nasty stuff, but they also only have only about 10in. of ground clearance for the rocks and stumps. Not considering your operating conditions, the SS will run circles around a tractor for loading. digging, clearing, post holes (down pressure) and stacking logs. But all those SS attachments are built several times more "beefier" (and it will cost you) than most small Cat I tractor attachments, and the loaders on tractors are, IMO really for chores and not designed or intended for much more. But I still say get your start with a tractor and buy as much HP as you can afford, the bigger the tractor, the harder it is to "overload/work" it, and we all do that! no matter what size!:laughing:

I couldn't agree more.:thumbsup: I would look at Utility size tractors, or Industrial Utility if you can afford it, rather than a CUT. Ag. loaders are material handlers, and not realy designed to dig.
Do a search on " How do I straighten out my loader lift arms?" and you will see what I mean.:eek:

Bill