Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36
  1. #11

    Default Re: Advice for mowing 5 acres & lawn. SCT or X7X8 Series

    Quote Originally Posted by jenkinsph View Post
    Check your weights again,
    Sorry, your right. I must have looked at kg when I looked at the x748 last night. Actually, the x748 is 28lbs heavier according to the books I have. You know I thought they would be pretty close in weight. Now that I see that the x748 is actually a little more it leads me to believe they have to be on similar frames and similar build quality. I wonder if they use the same engine? Thanks for pointing that out..

  2. #12

    Default Re: Advice for mowing 5 acres & lawn. SCT or X7X8 Series

    I live in South Central Nebraska. I don't technically live in the Sand Hills but I might as well.

    I actually liked the Massey Ferguson at the farm show I went to. The rep was the most knowledgeable person I spoke to at the show. I felt he did a great job comparing their tractor and the 1026R. Also my cousin's husband works for Massey so I was interested in what they had to say. I think their prices would be good. So I got the list of dealers in my area. The problem is I don't think a single one of the dealers in my area (+50 miles) even keep a single Massey Ferguson in stock. Now I haven't talked to anyone but I've been through their lots and have never seen one. One of the dealers close to me is a Case dealer and the other is JD. So I kind of just gave up on the idea...

  3. #13

    Default Re: Advice for mowing 5 acres & lawn. SCT or X7X8 Series

    Quote Originally Posted by lockhaven View Post
    zero turn mower, I have an old Dixie Chopper and I mow 5 acres of grass takes 2 hours if it were smother I could do it less. Not saying get a Dixie they are expensive I got mine on a special deal used,. But all zero turns will do the same.
    I keep going back to the idea of getting a ZTR. The prices are so much easier to swallow at this point. I have a friend that mows 4 acres (all level though) 3 acres being pasture with a Dixon and he loves it. Also I work with a guy that has a small dealership on the side that sells Exmark. I guess he sold a guy at work about a $9000 mower for $6,XXX something.

    The only thing I need to do other than mow (right now or for the next couple of years for that matter) is maybe move snow. The guy I know that bought the Dixon only had his drive cleaned out once in 4 years. After paying a guy to do it the first time he just decided he didn't need it done. He just drives out when and where he can and hasn't had any issues. That being said we work for the same company but he is a trainer and I'm in real time operations. He can always stay home if it gets to bad and I can't. But having my driveway clean doesn't do me a lot of good if the mile and half of gravel road to the highway hasn't been opened by the county. So I just question whether I need to really be thinking about moving snow or not.

  4. #14
    Super Member 94BULLITT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7,600
    Location
    Frederick County, VA
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

    Default Re: Advice for mowing 5 acres & lawn. SCT or X7X8 Series

    I have seen ZTR with snowblowers.

  5. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,393
    Location
    somewhere usa
    Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

    Default Re: Advice for mowing 5 acres & lawn. SCT or X7X8 Series

    nrbocke,

    You may have noticed I deleted my first post, I felt it fell on deaf ears. I assumed rightly or wrongly that since you hired a landscaper to put in sod that you either didn't have the time or the inclination to do it on a hands on basis. Basically knock it out and giturdone. That led me to further assume that you needed a good mower first and foremost, that makes me think an x748 would be your best choice. If I were mowing the pasture area I would likely cut if with the deck fully raised, this would prevent alot of deck damage and repairs and would cut the grass about 5 to 6 inches tall ( similar to a brushmower).

    One advantage the x series has over the 1026R is turning radius, an x748 has a 25" turning radius while the 1026R has a 7.4ft radius. If you were to mow to the top of the hill and turn around at the top the 1026R will need alot more room to do this. May not be of importance in your case as your property is wide open.

    IIRC an x748 without mower deck is about 1133 lbs, the 1026R is just over 1400 lbs without mower deck. For mowing less weight is better, for ground engagement more weight is better so if 99% of what you need to do is to mow then I would get the x series. If you decide you wan't a tractor later I would buy something larger and heavier as a separate purchase.

  6. #16

    Default Re: Advice for mowing 5 acres & lawn. SCT or X7X8 Series

    Quote Originally Posted by jenkinsph View Post
    nrbocke,

    You may have noticed I deleted my first post, I felt it fell on deaf ears. I assumed rightly or wrongly that since you hired a landscaper to put in sod that you either didn't have the time or the inclination to do it on a hands on basis. Basically knock it out and giturdone. That led me to further assume that you needed a good mower first and foremost, that makes me think an x748 would be your best choice. If I were mowing the pasture area I would likely cut if with the deck fully raised, this would prevent alot of deck damage and repairs and would cut the grass about 5 to 6 inches tall ( similar to a brushmower).

    One advantage the x series has over the 1026R is turning radius, an x748 has a 25" turning radius while the 1026R has a 7.4ft radius. If you were to mow to the top of the hill and turn around at the top the 1026R will need alot more room to do this. May not be of importance in your case as your property is wide open.

    IIRC an x748 without mower deck is about 1133 lbs, the 1026R is just over 1400 lbs without mower deck. For mowing less weight is better, for ground engagement more weight is better so if 99% of what you need to do is to mow then I would get the x series. If you decide you wasn't a tractor later I would buy something larger and heavier as a separate purchase.
    Thanks,
    So assuming I would mow with the deck fully raised, which I'm fine with, is there any reason the X748 wouldn't last as long as the 1026R all other things being equal? I know the X748 has to be better in the yard even though there is a lot of feedback stating the a SCUT can do just as good. I really just don't ever seeing myself using implements other than a tiller and the shredder. Even those I can probably live without (as long as I'm not shortening the life of the X748 mowing in the pasture) and I figure I could always add the PTO to the X748 latter. I agree a loader would probably be handy but just can't justify it at this point. Even if I do end up doing some landscaping on my own in another area on the acreage it won't be for 2-3 years at the least.

  7. #17
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,393
    Location
    somewhere usa
    Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

    Default Re: Advice for mowing 5 acres & lawn. SCT or X7X8 Series

    Well I use my x749 for landscape work all the time and haven't had any problems with it. The pto is a quick diy install took about 30 minutes to do, 3PH took longer but had it on with no problems in about 3 hours, could do it again in half that time. I till, smooth, rake, seed, and roll with this on small yards often.

    My suggestion to have a landscaper/farmer/neighbor run a landplane across the pastures would do alot to smooth up the bumps and rough edges. That is what I would do in your shoes. I would likely till up the 15,000 sq. ft and plant grass myself in lieu of sod, just completed a similar sized job with the x749 and it is in the watering mode now, took about three days by myself. Brought the backhoe with me but never unloaded it from the trailer, small machine did it all.

    Another suggestion I would make looking at your property is to consider buying or building some type of drag or 3PH harrow to help with smoothing. A few passes over the ground each year when you had the time could really help it out. throwing out some grass seeds as needed. For your open spaces a simple drag type 5' section harrow would work well and you could pull it when you mow the pasture in most cases.

    to answer your question about longevity, the x748 is built pretty durable and the 7 iron decks are stout, these should last a long time with your mowing. The new models that will be introduced next year are lighter guage but have the advantage of auto connect from what I have read. In your case where the mower deck will stay on the machine most of the time I would get the existing model with the heavier 7 iron deck and giturdone.

    Heres a picture of my lawn that I ran my larger land plane across, really helps to get a smooth finish. It will save you time everytime you mow. Also pictures of the 3PH 8ft harrow I made for $250. Last is a picture of my small landplane for the 749.

  8. #18

    Default Re: Advice for mowing 5 acres & lawn. SCT or X7X8 Series

    Quote Originally Posted by jenkinsph View Post
    Well I use my x749 for landscape work all the time and haven't had any problems with it. The pto is a quick diy install took about 30 minutes to do, 3PH took longer but had it on with no problems in about 3 hours, could do it again in half that time. I till, smooth, rake, seed, and roll with this on small yards often.

    My suggestion to have a landscaper/farmer/neighbor run a landplane across the pastures would do alot to smooth up the bumps and rough edges. That is what I would do in your shoes. I would likely till up the 15,000 sq. ft and plant grass myself in lieu of sod, just completed a similar sized job with the x749 and it is in the watering mode now, took about three days by myself. Brought the backhoe with me but never unloaded it from the trailer, small machine did it all.

    Another suggestion I would make looking at your property is to consider buying or building some type of drag or 3PH harrow to help with smoothing. A few passes over the ground each year when you had the time could really help it out. throwing out some grass seeds as needed. For your open spaces a simple drag type 5' section harrow would work well and you could pull it when you mow the pasture in most cases.

    to answer your question about longevity, the x748 is built pretty durable and the 7 iron decks are stout, these should last a long time with your mowing. The new models that will be introduced next year are lighter guage but have the advantage of auto connect from what I have read. In your case where the mower deck will stay on the machine most of the time I would get the existing model with the heavier 7 iron deck and giturdone.

    Heres a picture of my lawn that I ran my larger land plane across, really helps to get a smooth finish. It will save you time everytime you mow. Also pictures of the 3PH 8ft harrow I made for $250. Last is a picture of my small landplane a for the 749.
    .
    The yard install actually started last week. They have all grading and dirt work done. Landscaping starts next week and after plants and edging are in then sprinklers and grass. They grass will be hydro seeded. Anyway thanks for all your time! I do believe I will be back to looking for a x728 or 48 when the budget allows. Can't get one now...found out i Saturday my year old leach field is full of sand and not working right. Installer is checking on warranty Monday but to say the least I am still concerned...

  9. #19
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,393
    Location
    somewhere usa
    Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

    Default Re: Advice for mowing 5 acres & lawn. SCT or X7X8 Series

    Quote Originally Posted by nrbocke View Post
    .
    The yard install actually started last week. They have all grading and dirt work done. Landscaping starts next week and after plants and edging are in then sprinklers and grass. They grass will be hydro seeded. Anyway thanks for all your time! I do believe I will be back to looking for a x728 or 48 when the budget allows. Can't get one now...found out i Saturday my year old leach field is full of sand and not working right. Installer is checking on warranty Monday but to say the least I am still concerned...

    As a master plumber I would see what he says but if you are expected to pay for more work I would place a phone call to your attorney first. I would think that in most cases this would be improper installation and the plumber should be responsible for correcting the problem on his dime. You need to hold your ground on this one.

  10. #20
    Elite Member Gittyup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,901
    Location
    Mid Atlantic
    Tractor
    Kioti CK25 Shuttle Shift, loaded tires, JD X739

    Default Re: Advice for mowing 5 acres & lawn. SCT or X7X8 Series

    open and flat enough: advantage goes to the SCUT. It isn't often I make this recommendation for your chores, as I think the X700 is the best for mowing and snow removal, mainly due to maneuverability and stability. But, in your case, it doesn't look like it would matter much.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mowing 2 acres
    By mn_voyageur in forum 2-Wheeled Tractors
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-17-2014, 09:46 AM
  2. Tractor Suggestion 3 acres Lawn 5 acres Field
    By dpcote in forum John Deere Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-01-2012, 09:34 AM
  3. Is $300 to much for mowing 20 acres?
    By scesnick in forum Owning/Operating
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 04-23-2010, 04:08 PM
  4. Lawn Tractor Buying Advice Needed: X300 or LA series
    By BMWBig6 in forum John Deere Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-28-2008, 08:22 AM
  5. Need advice on finish mowing 1 - 1.5 acres.
    By OrangeAlex in forum Buying/Pricing/Comparisons
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-02-2005, 05:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.