Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise!

/ Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise!
I purchased a Hustler Fastrak SD 54" this spring and have no complaints whatsoever. I mow about 2 acres of yard, about 1/3 of it being field that I am "turning" into part of my yard so my dogs have a place to crap without much of a chance of me stepping in it. It is my first ZTR, and I went through the same pre-purchase fretting that you are going through. After much research I came to the conclusion that the Hustler was giving me the most bang for the buck, and my dealer is relatively close.

This is the exact mower I'm leaning towards.. maybe the 60" though...

/ Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise! #12  
I've had my Hustler FasTrac 54" for a couple of years now.
We mow a couple acres with it every week. I expect it to last many, many years.
Its a solid built little machine.

Last edited:
   / Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise! #13  
I also have a Hustler Fastrak. Ive had it about 2 years and it works very well. Ive been pleased with it in all respects.

/ Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise! #14  
Have had my hustler 54 inch mower for several years and am happy with it, about 100 hrs on it and no problems.

/ Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise! #15  
Not that it matters, because my eXmark Lazer Z is a $9 K mower and probably way out of your price point, but I bought mine 11 years ago, and so far have put 2 mule belts on it ( think I screwed the first one up when I put it on, it only lasted a year), and 1 fuel filter, and at least a new set of blades per year.
That is all other than changing fluids.
I mow ~7 acres with it, at least 1 of them woods
I currently have ~650 hours on it, and I am still hoping it lasts me until I die, or Obummer forces me off my land.

/ Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise! #16  
That Toro is a good unit for the price. 5K is a little light to get a true commercial model, but that machine has a lot of features for the price. My brother bought the best Toro homeowner model 10 years ago, and has mowed 3-4 acres with it all that time, with few problems (the deck is starting to give him problems with cracks and spindles,but the deck on the one you are considering is much better.) The Kawasaki engine is a plus at that price point.

Will

/ Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise!
Alright after much more research I have decided that I'm going to up my price some and I really want to get a mower that will last me a really long time since I'm only mowing my two acres and maybe my parent two acres..I'm pretty torn between these two..

Bad Boy Outlaw 61"
Hustler Fastrac Superduty 60"

I'm I splitting hairs trying to pick one?

/ Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise! #18  
I have a Fastrak. I like it a lot, cuts well, no issues. Its a 54" model tho, not the 60".

I have never sat on or run a Bad Boy so I have no impression on those one way or another.

I'd SWAG here and say to get the one with the best dealer/price combo.

/ Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise! #19  
I have a Fastrak. I like it a lot, cuts well, no issues. Its a 54" model tho, not the 60".

I have never sat on or run a Bad Boy so I have no impression on those one way or another.

I'd SWAG here and say to get the one with the best dealer/price combo.

/ Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise! #20  
Just a comment - bigger decks are not always better. If you have rough or uneven ground I have heard from others that wider decks tends to scalp more. Then if there are close trees/borders or tight spots narrower is better.

Then if you trailer them a 5' deck needs a 6' trailer or so. Not trying to dissuade you, but they cut so fast I dont think you will notice a huge difference from a 52 to a 60" on two acres.

I would look to get independent pumps and motors in the hydro system with filters, and a commercial engine and then a fab deck as the priorities.

I have the IS2000 and love it for the ride (suspension) and build quality - was a little under $7K new as a leftover model.

Carl