Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise!

/ Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise! #21  
Just entering this search myself. Currently have a Troy Bilt 50 inch ZT from Lowe's. It's doing the job OK, but the wife has turned a 1 acre lot that we own next to our house into a large yard. Dozens of small elm trees there. I used to just knock it down with a brush hog a couple of times a year. But that lot along with the other acre that the house sits on aren't all that smooth. She does the majority of the mowing and it pounds the heck out of her and her surgically repaired neck. I've decided to shop for something with a suspension for her.
I think I've narrowed it to a Ferris IS500Z or a Simplicity ZT2500, both 52" cut. Best I've done so far is $5200 + tax for the Ferris at a dealer about 3 hours from home. One local guy says that the 500 is discontinued and replaced with the IS700 and goes for $5900 + tax. I must have misunderstood him, because I can find no info on a 700.
No local prices on Simplicity yet. I have found a price of $4099 with free shipping at Mowers Direct. They also have a ZT2752 Champion for $4999 and free shipping.

Last edited:
   / Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise! #22  
Just entering this search myself. Currently have a Troy Bilt 50 inch ZT from Lowe's. It's doing the job OK, but the wife has turned a 1 acre lot that we own next to our house into a large yard. Dozens of small elm trees there. I used to just knock it down with a brush hog a couple of times a year. But that lot along with the other acre that the house sits on aren't all that smooth. She does the majority of the mowing and it pounds the heck out of her and her surgically repaired neck. I've decided to shop for something with a suspension for her.
I think I've narrowed it to a Ferris IS500Z or a Simplicity ZT2500, both 52" cut. Best I've done so far is $5200 + tax for the Ferris at a dealer about 3 hours from home. One local guy says that the 500 is discontinued and replaced with the IS700 and goes for $5900 + tax.
No prices on the Simplicity yet.

I have a Ferris IS3000 and I love it. I can't say that you don't feel the bumps, especially in the "back 40" where there's more tractor ruts, but if you drive reasonably (unlike my cutting style :eek:), it's a fairly smooth ride.

/ Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise! #23  
Found an IS500Z at a local dealer about 20 minutes from home for the same deal as the far away guys. Taking the wife down later on to look at it, as she'll be the one using it more often than me.

/ Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise! #24  
JJZ.

Dont know about the IS700 but the IS500 and Simplicity are both made by Ferris in NY. The IS500 and 1500 have the same suspension then the IS2000 and up have the full indepenent type suspension.

Good luck and definitely ride and compare the models and decide. They have the 3 yr 0% deal too so get the one that feels the best as its an investment for a long time (20yrs) is the way I looked at it.

Carl

/ Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise! #25  
JJZ.

Dont know about the IS700 but the IS500 and Simplicity are both made by Ferris in NY. The IS500 and 1500 have the same suspension then the IS2000 and up have the full indepenent type suspension.

Good luck and definitely ride and compare the models and decide. They have the 3 yr 0% deal too so get the one that feels the best as its an investment for a long time (20yrs) is the way I looked at it.

Carl

I must have not heard the dealer on the phone correctly on an IS700. I looked at Ferris' website and could find no such model. I read online someplace (so it must be true:laughing:) that Simplicity bought Ferris in 1999, so I'm sure that they share many things.
I'm really leaning toward that IS500Z and will be kicking the tires on it today. I'll be the guy paying cash, but Mama has to see it because she does the majority of the mowing. I'll just get to pressure wash it and maintain it! :wrench:

/ Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise! #26  
It's a done deal. Will be picking up the Ferris IS500Z when I have time this coming week. Wife and I went down and looked it over and we like it. Should last us for a long, long time.

/ Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise! #27  
Congratulations on your new IS500 ZTR JJZ - I am sure you will (and your wife) will enjoy it for a long time.

/ Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise! #28  
Congratulations on your new IS500 ZTR JJZ - I am sure you will (and your wife) will enjoy it for a long time.

Mostly her, but I may sneak out there now and then while she's putting in a 12 hour nursing shift. :laughing:

/ Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise!
Well after a few more weeks of researching I think I've decided that I'm going to get the Hustler Fastrac 60" Super Duty..Its a 2012 with 0 hrs on it..going this weekend to the dealer..he told me over the phone he would do 6K+tax no doc fees or anything..Not sure if thats a really good price or not and I will try for a better one once I get there..

/ Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise! #30  
Well after a few more weeks of researching I think I've decided that I'm going to get the Hustler Fastrac 60" Super Duty..Its a 2012 with 0 hrs on it..going this weekend to the dealer..he told me over the phone he would do 6K+tax no doc fees or anything..Not sure if thats a really good price or not and I will try for a better one once I get there..

All you can do is to poke around the net and make some calls on pricing. I started out finding the fairest price over 3 hours from home. After checking out Ferris' website I found a dealer a short distance away that I had no idea sold Ferris. I emailed him, he offered to match the lowest price I'd found and the rest is history.
Good luck in your shopping!