Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise!

/ Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise!
Finally pulled the plug...bought the 60" Hustler Fastrac SD..only mowed my lawn and my neighbors only so far..about 3.5 acres in about an hour...great so far!

/ Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise! #32  
Finally pulled the plug...bought the 60" Hustler Fastrac SD..only mowed my lawn and my neighbors only so far..about 3.5 acres in about an hour...great so far!

Good for you. Don't know about you, but I was glad when the search was over and the deal was finished.
I've mowed twice with mine. So far, so good but still getting the feel for it after mowing with my old zero turn for 3 seasons. It's almost mid October, so one or two more times and I'll be putting it up for the winter.

/ Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise!
I am glad the search is over...I was driving myself crazy trying to figure out which one to purchase..

/ Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise! #34  
I dont think you will regret that decision. Good mower. Congrats on the purchase and enjoy:thumbsup:

/ Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise! #35  
I'll just get to pressure wash it and maintain it! :wrench:

I just got around to reading this post and wont offer any info on brands, however your statement about pressure washing your mower needs to be addressed. This could be the worst thing that you do to your mower. This will drive water into the bearings and cause premature failure. Some manufacturers even suggest that you dont wash your deck with a standard garden hose to prevent water encroachment. I have taken to just blowing off the loose grass with a leaf blower. When I wash of the dust from the frame and engine, I use the leaf blower to remove the water. It may not look pretty, shiny and clean but dust doesnt rust but water will.

/ Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise! #36  
Gary,

Good feedback and thats exactly what I do with the leaf blower. I wash mine off in the fall after leaf collection before storing for the winter, spray a bit of wax on the painted areas and fluid film on the underside of the deck.

Also scrape underside of the deck once a month. Seems to work for me as my cub cadet is still on original deck and bearings @ 22 years and I hope to get that life from the Ferris too.

/ Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise! #37  
I disagree (to an extent) on the no pressure washing thing.

I do mine once a year (before over-winter storage). After powerwashing and letting dry, I also apply a fresh coat of paint to the underside of the deck. Cause IMO, replacing a bearing a little sooner is easier and cheaper than dealing with a rusted out deck. Grass and leaves that get wet and stick to the deck will eat it out in a hurry.

I just make sure to put several pumps of grease in the bearings after the powerwashing to drive out any water that may have gotten in. The rest of the year though, it gets the air-hose treatment to blow off the loose stuff.

/ Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise! #38  
I disagree (to an extent) on the no pressure washing thing.

I do mine once a year (before over-winter storage). After powerwashing and letting dry, I also apply a fresh coat of paint to the underside of the deck. Cause IMO, replacing a bearing a little sooner is easier and cheaper than dealing with a rusted out deck. Grass and leaves that get wet and stick to the deck will eat it out in a hurry.

I just make sure to put several pumps of grease in the bearings after the powerwashing to drive out any water that may have gotten in. The rest of the year though, it gets the air-hose treatment to blow off the loose stuff.

/ Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise! #39  
LD1

We are singing from the same hymn book just at different tones.

/ Researching a new ZTR..driving me crazy!! Need some advise! #40  
LD1

We are singing from the same hymn book just at different tones.

Yep, take care of the deck itself. The rest can be easily replaced.

The JD240 dad bought new in 1989 and then sold to me when he got his ZTR in 2006 and then I sold to my FIL 2011 when I got my ZTR....still original deck. Been cared for as I described above. (annual powerwashing and paint on the underside). That deck still looks great. And infact the first and only time the bearings were replaced was by me in 2008 or 2009. (darn sealed bearings anyway). I converted them to greasable.:thumbsup: