Price Check Wayward Tractor Newbie seeks advice on a used Kubota

/ Wayward Tractor Newbie seeks advice on a used Kubota #1  

SemiAncientMariner

Tractor
Kubota B7800HST
Good Afternoon to any and all,

I have recently convinced the Mrs. that my advancing age warrants an upgrade from the pick and shovel that she has provided for me to satisfy her landscaping demands for lo these many years.

Subsequently, like a tractor seeking Diogenes, I have been searching for an honest deal that will allow me to make the most of this hard won spousal approval, and I hope to procure a worthy tractor, and an assortment of of useful implements, without going too far beyond the meager funds that "Mean Old Mrs. Mariner" has given the nod to.

As a consequence, I have found an opportunity to purchase a 4WD Kubota L2500 with an LB400 FEL, bush hog, small disk, box blade, scraper blade, "middle buster," a crippled post hole auger, and a plain old "shift it yourself" transmission for the princely sum of $11,800. (delivered)

I have yet to go take an "in person" look at it, but the tractor has 664 hours on it and I am told that it is "in very good condition."

It has a torn seat, but then - so do I.

I figure that, as long as the tears do not occur in exactly the same places, this should not be a problem, and it's seat will probably be easier to repair or replace than mine.

So, hat in hand, I come before you seeking advice and opinion upon the abilities, trustworthyness, and value of said tractor model.

Any and all input, tips, comments, cautions, wisdom, or just clever remarks will be appreciated.

I thank you for your attention.

Regards,

S.A.M.

/ Wayward Tractor Newbie seeks advice on a used Kubota #2  
Tooo much money!For a 12 year old rig.Used implements are cheap.When you can buy a similar sized tractor new for not much more money..keep looking.

/ Wayward Tractor Newbie seeks advice on a used Kubota #3  
   / Wayward Tractor Newbie seeks advice on a used Kubota #4  
What are your needs??? Don't pay for something you probally won't use.

/ Wayward Tractor Newbie seeks advice on a used Kubota #5  
I agree with nybirdman. You may as well spend a few thousand more and buy new. You can always find used implements as needed.

/ Wayward Tractor Newbie seeks advice on a used Kubota #6  
Tooo much money!For a 12 year old rig.Used implements are cheap.When you can buy a similar sized tractor new for not much more money..keep looking.

I agree. I've been looking at used Kubota L3800's for a couple of years, and have found the price for a unit several years old is about 75% the cost of a new tractor. I've decided to buy a new L4600 4X4, probably tomorrow.

/ Wayward Tractor Newbie seeks advice on a used Kubota #7  
   / Wayward Tractor Newbie seeks advice on a used Kubota

Thanks for your reply Bird Man,

The tractor and loader part of the deal is just under $10K, but when you say it as "a 12 year old rig" it sounds completely different from " very good tires, over all in very good condition with only 664 hours"

My better judgment agrees with you.

I'm trying to resist the "get a tractor" enthusiasm – but it’s hard, and it gets harder every time I look at the pick & shovel.

Thanks for the well phrased reality check.

Tractor House is a great site, & I've been scanning it everyday for the past few weeks.

What are your needs??? Don't pay for something you probally won't use.

I have a long driveway to grade - uphill both ways (literally), small trees to push around, brush to mow, garden to till / plow / disk, holes to dig, rocks to move, posts to set, and a retirement to achieve.

Except for large Ag gear, if it goes on a tractor, I'll probably use it sooner or later.

I agree with nybirdman. You may as well spend a few thousand more and buy new. You can always find used implements as needed.

Thanks Gumshu,

After some level headed consideration, I agree with him too.

I have been tempted to go ahead and spring for a new one, but the Mrs. keeps bringing up petty issues like the college money we need for the kids - & so on.

Sheesh!