Comparison wood chipper

/ wood chipper #11  
I got the WM-8H. It actually was delivered yesterday. I hope to work on putting it together tonight. It seems very well packed for shipping. They weld a metal cage around it and then wrap it in plastic. I'll take some pics before I cut into the packing and as I put it together.
I couldn't justify the cost of a hydraulic feed Wallenstein. I know they're well respected, just out of my budget. I really wanted a hydraulic feed, so I went with the WoodMax. Time will tell if I made the right decision.

Chris

/ wood chipper #12  
I have a Wallenstein BX-42, and it's been fantastic.

/ wood chipper #13  
I have a woodmax 8 inch manual and have used it for about a week of off and on chopping and very happy with it.

/ wood chipper #14  
I was within a New York minute of writing a check for a Wallenstein BX-42 before I found a low priced, used Patu 4" on Craigs List. The Wally has an elongated opening that would greatly reduce the amount of limb trimming I have to do to get twisty stuff to self-feed. The Patu is direct drive to a heavy flywheel, like the Wally, and I'd recommend that in a chipper. Dead simple and very easy to service.

/ wood chipper #15  
I bought the Oxxn about a month ago. Works very well. Have used it alot over the past month. Very satisfied with the hydraulic feed.

/ wood chipper #16  
Here's a couple of pictures of how they ship the WoodMax:

image-3734102262.jpg

Seems to be pretty well packed for shipment.

image-4018055384.jpg

And a couple of pictures of it as I assemble it:

image-3339328735.jpg

There were a few little quirks but assembly went fairly smooth. All the parts and hardware were there, no running to the hardware store like I've had to with other assemblies.

image-3434577686.jpg

image-3133392270.jpg

image-2110283996.jpg

I hope to finish assembly, add the oil and try it out if I get done work in time tonight. I'll see if I can't post a video and let you guys in on my first impressions.

/ wood chipper #17  
Good Evenin Grn mtn boy,
Nice lookin unit ! Let us know how you make out !

Any where near me ?

/ wood chipper #18  
Yes, please do let us know. I'm also in the market for a chipper. Does it seem to be substantial enough? Fit and finish?

Thanks for the photos.

BT

/ wood chipper #19  
Thanks for the photos, I know how exciting it is to get a new attachment for the ole toy, er I mean tractor. lol

/ wood chipper #20  
I've got the wallenstein bx42 and its been amazing. It isn't the hydro feed model, but it self feeds pretty well and I can just put a tree in and stand back. The elongated opening (4x10") us a huge help and means you almost never have to trim anything you can almost always find a way to fit it in. It also does a decent job of blowing the chips and comes with a chute (some don't). they're extremely simple machines, so easy to maintain and hard to break. I personally wouldn't go with a belt (something else to break). There's a good used market and they hold their value extremely well, so if you see one used jump on it because they don't last long. The unit is very heavy duty as well and is made of very heavy gauge metal (watch which way the chute is pointing because it'll take a chunk out of a tree if you it one driving). I would also recommend a dolly to put it on and take it off, I have a build thread for one somewhere on here and its been great, its about 5 minutes to go from the BH to the chipper now.