Dealer Looking to buy..........

/ Looking to buy.......... #11  
Your correct not all dealers are "dealers" and you can find good deals through other media but the point I was making, and you picked on that, is that the reason Deere commands a premium price is that they have a quality product and have the parts/service network to back them up worldwide. There are other brands just as good as Deere and with very good networks also. From the dealers you have around you see if they'll bring a model similiar to what you want to your property so you can see and feel in a real world enviroment what the machine can do for you. Two things I'd want to know is how does it move dirt and how it mows. You'll get a good idea of noise, vibration etc. I'm a big Deere fan but the other weekend I was picking up some hay for my horses and the gentleman had a Kubota with cab (probably about a 50 - 60HP) and was impressed by how quiet it was. I just don't have a Kubota dealer within reasonable distance from me.

/ Looking to buy..........
100_2929.jpg 100_2930.jpg

These first two pics are where I am staying now, as you can see the driveway to my property is in very bad shape. I would like to fix it up while I am still here, four other families share this road and most are either out of work or retired so money wise no help. I already asked about fixing the road professionally but I would have to pay for it myself, still wanna help them b4 i leave.

The other 4 are from my property i will be moving on, lot nicer i think, but still needs some work. The pic with the vines in it and the ditch will be about as big as i will need to cut and very little of that. The long pic is standing near the road shooting to the back of the property, the trees are my property line, so you can see how far it goes back and 320 feet of road frontage. Just thought it might help in deciding the implements i may need....thanks

100_2932.jpg 100_2933.jpg 100_2934.jpg 100_2935.jpg 100_2936.jpg

/ Looking to buy.......... #13  
View attachment 281657 View attachment 281658

These first two pics are where I am staying now, as you can see the driveway to my property is in very bad shape. I would like to fix it up while I am still here, four other families share this road and most are either out of work or retired so money wise no help. I already asked about fixing the road professionally but I would have to pay for it myself, still wanna help them b4 i leave.

The other 4 are from my property i will be moving on, lot nicer i think, but still needs some work. The pic with the vines in it and the ditch will be about as big as i will need to cut and very little of that. The long pic is standing near the road shooting to the back of the property, the trees are my property line, so you can see how far it goes back and 320 feet of road frontage. Just thought it might help in deciding the implements i may need....thanks

View attachment 281659 View attachment 281660 View attachment 281661 View attachment 281662 View attachment 281663
The pics kinda help but it still hard tell by not seeing it in person. The road where you currently live looks like it could benfit from being crowned and having some ditch along the sides. I would get some 21A to fill in the pot holes. They pack extremely tight. If you get a truck load it needs to be spread that day, it has to be spread wet. I think it has some concrete in it to help hold it in place. A tractor with a FEL and a box blade should do a pretty good job.

The pics of you property out by the road in the ditch look like to me that would be tough to run a tractor across. I would use a Trimmer with bike handle and a brush cutter on it, something like a stihl fs90. Do you plan on finish mowing all of that in the picture? If you do I would go with the biggest finish mower your whatever tractor you get can pull.

/ Looking to buy.......... #14  
Theone....

Prior to purchasing my used Kobota on Craigslist, I seriously considered TYM. For the money, the TYM tractors are the most option loaded heavy built tractor you will (that I could) find. But I chickened out only because of the dealer.

The nice thing (besides the low price) - they include almost everything as standard equipment, which is very nice. Lights, remotes, quick hitch, etc etc.

The unit I drove last year had a Cat/Perkins engine, was very well built. I was truly impressed. The only thing I didn't like was the seat placement. I am a big tall guy, and I felt cramped. The dealer thought he could fab a riser for the seat and move it up and back if I bought it.

The company has been around for quite some time, making tractors for Mahindra. Only recently have they decided to roll out under their own name.

All in all, had this dealer had a larger facility which included a service bay (he worked on tractors outside) I probably would be the owner of a TYM603.

But instead I kept searching for a slightly used Kubota and after several months I found a 6 year old machine with 330 hours for half of new with a RC. :)

/ Looking to buy.......... #15  
There are lots of good compact tractor brands to choose from, I prefer Deere but for a 9 acre rectangle that is flat I don't think it makes much difference what brand you get. First thing I would do is take some samples in for soil anaylsis. So far I think just to fix this up I think I would hire out discing and harrowing for a one shot deal. I would buy a 3PH spin spreader to put out seed and fertilizer, you will need to do this ongoing so buy this tool. I would inquire of the local coop's to see if they have trucks to spread lime if your analysis indicates a need for it. I would look for a good 30 to 40 hp tractor with a fel and rear finish mower to maintain the grass. For the driveway maintenance (don't see it yet) if it is long I would get a good rearblade and a 6' wide landplane.

Clearing the property line might be tough with limited equipment at your disposal. Looking at the pictures I was wondering if that growth is covering up a mess of old brush piles and stumps, bet there is a reason the open area is cut close and this growth is still there. I don't think I would buy the equipment to tackle that work because it is a one shot deal, clean it out once and maintain it. If it is just some overgrown brush without a woodpile beneath it then hire someone to brush hog it once as low as you can and work with it from that point on.

I think it is importantto recognize that your land is 95% clear already. If you are anticipating building a house and money is tight I would have someone else with large equipment do the major work because a large wide disk and finish tools will give you a smoother end product. Once you get it smoothed out a couple of zero turn mowers should be able to mow it at or near full speed. I think hiring out the tillage work will be the cheapest way to go too assuming you have some farmers nearby, most i have ever known were always looking for cash sidework. Right now is a good time to plant most grasses and I would recommend it if your soil analysis doesn't show to low a ph. If you do need lots of lime then I would get that incorporated into the soil now and let it work over the winter and plant in the spring.

Using my method I think will be the cheapest way out and gives you the abilty to take your time shopping for the right tractor. I really prefer hydrostatic drive tractors for my close quarters work but that said I could easily see using my older 820 (31 pto hp) gear tractor to mow your place in a couple of hours. This tractor will be 40 yrs old this spring '13 and is as good as it ever was. I checked Tractorhouse and machinefinder this morning to get an idea of the price and I suspect about $6000 to $7000 is about right. The point is you can find a good used 30 to 40hp 2wd tractor in good condition and add a few attachments without breaking the bank.

/ Looking to buy.......... #16  
The TYM is a good tractor. Dealer support is the key. I think parts for the T273 wouldn't be a problem. But, someone who knows how to service the machine expertly might be. That's what kept me from going TYM.

What I meant earlier about tym was if that dealer goes out of bussiness where is the next one?

I have 3 dealers near me, well not so much, one is 58 miles, the next 66 miles and the last 76 miles.

The nearest Kubota dealer is 50 miles, there is a company that sells kubota a little closer but they don't come up under the dealer locator from Kubota's website???

I have 5 John Deere dealers within a 40 mile radius........I guess i need to check with them b4 I totally give up on the deere.

Do you plan on finish mowing all of that in the picture? If you do I would go with the biggest finish mower your whatever tractor you get can pull.

The house we plan on being 50 to 75 yards from the road so hopefully ALL the front will be centipede and the back well i want to put a small pond with trees and plants all around it but in short no hopefully not finishing mowing ALL 9 acres but probably 75% of it.

There are lots of good compact tractor brands to choose from, I prefer Deere but for a 9 acre rectangle that is flat I don't think it makes much difference what brand you get. For the driveway maintenance (don't see it yet) if it is long I would get a good rearblade and a 6' wide landplane.
If you are anticipating building a house and money is tight I would have someone else with large equipment do the major work because a large wide disk and finish tools will give you a smoother end product.
The point is you can find a good used 30 to 40hp 2wd tractor in good condition and add a few attachments without breaking the bank.

I agree with you here, if i was doing heavy farming then i think i would be more apt to spend more money on name brand versus off brand, but it will be a part-time tractor. Hopefully friends and relatives will not try and make it a full time tractor. The Guy that used to keep up the land stopped by and i asked him about going over every thing with HIS large disk and leveling everything out, he said it would be best to wait til after I built the house. Hopefully that project will be started this year or the very FIRST of next.

I seriously considered TYM. For the money, the TYM tractors are the most option loaded heavy built tractor you will (that I could) find.
The nice thing (besides the low price) - they include almost everything as standard equipment, which is very nice. Lights, remotes, quick hitch, etc etc.

This is exactly what go my eyebrow raised :)

I guess the biggest thing i need to look at is DEALER SUPPORT.......having a hard time finding any reviews of these dealers except for on their OWN website.....now i am not saying they are false testimonies but everyone knows every frog will praise HIS OWN pond!!

Last edited:
   / Looking to buy.......... #18  
When talking to the dealers make sure they know you don't care which brand you choose. Make sure they know your gonna check out other dealers.

I was buying a John Deere 681 tiller one time nobody had one on there lot. In fact not on single dealer had a tiller not even the local TCS. Prices between 5 local JD dealers varied between $4500 to $7800 make'um play ball with you. All but 2 changed there prices when I showed them my quotes from other dealers.

And the guy with the big equipment is right it would be better to wait After all the ruts and digging for elec-water_gas-septic is finished.

For a 9AC lot I'd go with a belly mower and turf tires after the initial set-up you won't need alot of tractor unless your gonna garden

Thanks for all the responses, advice and helpful comments. I am going tomorrow to 3 different towns to look at John Deere (another dealer not the first one i spoke with) then down the road to Kubota and last the furthest from me will be TYM, LS and Jinma. Hopefully by driving the different name brands that will help making my final decision, if I like one ALOT i will be bringing it home tomorrow, if not I should have a bunch of questions answered and probably more questions for you guys.....

Thanks

Ok I went to ALL the dealerships and drove several different tractors.....John Deere was about $250 cheaper than my local dealer 3032E with FEL for $17,250 with 0% for 60 months. Kubota was $19,000 for the LS3200 with FEL and 0% for 60 months and no payments til March or May 2013. Smiths enterprises was to say the least not what i expected, NO warehouse with 1 to 200 tractors they had about 10 tractors under carports, and no shop to work on them so i asked where to take it for warranty work. I would have to take to the MAIN dealership where all the internet pictures where taken or they would pick it and take it for me and charge for freight transportation and thats further away than they are. So anyway $14,000 for a TYM 293 at 5.6% financing, so i did all the figuring and I would be about $1,000 under the John Deere and about $1,500 under the Kubota. Today talked with another Kubota dealership that is actually closer than the one i went to the other day and he can do a LS3200 HST with R4 tires, FEL and a canopy for $18,000 delivered to my house.......Sounds pretty good to me plus all their service and warranty work is done there. Thinking about pulling the trigger tomorrow, sound like a good deal?? Anything else i should ask?? He really seemed genuine and wanted to make me happy by selling this tractor

Thanks

Last edited: