Dealer Looking to buy..........

/ Looking to buy.......... #1  

theone28351

Tractor
2012 Kubota L3200 HST 4x4 w/FEL
Hello to the forums,
I guess my first question would be has anyone dealt with this company

From what i have read on the forums in the last couple of weeks the dealer you choose has just as much, if not more, to do with the actual tractor you purchase. I have purchased 9 acres flat land and will start building my house next year. I have cut the grass there twice and it took almost 5 hrs with two ZTR's 42' residential and 60" commercial then almost 9 hrs the second using just one mower. I tried to talk to my wife about a tractor she says we don't need one......after 2 hrs on the 42' ZTR she said "Baby WE need A tractor!!":thumbsup: I have been looking at the jinma 284 and the LS 3033 but have yet to go and test drive either, plan on doing that 9/29/2012. I will be using primarily for lawn maintenance but I first have to get one established, what we were cutting were weeds,crows feet, dandelions, with very little grass. I was looking at the package deals with rear finishing mower, FEL, Box or Scrape, Auger, trailer and maybe tiller. I don't wanna get a tractor that will cut my grass fine but when i need to do something heavier it won't, so HP is undecided for me. I looked at the 25HP they have but my ZTR is 21 and it bogs in thick grass, I know its not the same setup just not sure what HP i should get. This will be my first tractor so any advice on sizing and models would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

/ Looking to buy.......... #2  
Never dealt with company.Will give a little advise though. One day any tractor will break down. Make sure you get one you can get parts for. Dealer is a BIG factor. I went John Deere only because I had 6 dealers within 60 miles, 1 6 miles away, 1 25 miles and 1 30 miles. Also had 4 New Holland dealers in same area; probably 20 other tractor dealers of various brands. I only considered JD and NH because of having several dealers in area for parts (if one don't have it the other one will). Next I'd consider price.
My dad has a Massy Fergason we have to drive 120 miles one way to get parts for. Just hope you get the right one when your there we had one dealer when he bought it in 1976.
On another note read alot here
and finally you will never have enough attachments
Good luck

/ Looking to buy.......... #3  
I agree with plowin, where is your next tym dealer? A 25hp diesel tractor will have way more power than your ZTR that is 21. Since you want to mow and do other chores I would look at a Kubota B series tractor. I would look at something like a Kubota B3200 or John Deere 2720. You do not want to get a heavy tractor for mowing grass around your house.

/ Looking to buy.......... #4  
When I was looking to purchase a tractor, I thought about the package deals offered by this Company. Even though, I am located in NC, I decided against it because of the distance involved in regards to proximity to dealers. In the end, I bought a Kubota. My Kubota dealer is 16 miles away. Take your time and consider all your needs, both present and future. Best wishes.

/ Looking to buy..........
Thanks for the replies.

@plowin, I went to the john deere dealer 1st i have one right in my hometown but the prices were absolutely out of my price range, I found plenty of deals on tractor house that beat his prices by a mile. All i hear about them is how high they are, i have a deere ZTR and i won't even take it to them for service.

@bullit That is the closest TYM dealer near me, we have one Kubota dealer that is on the way to the dealer in Salemsburg and i plan on stopping by and talking to them also. I plan on doing more than mowing just not sure what all i will do, garden maybe, flower beds definitely, goldfish ponds definitely, and my land has to be discs up and leveled, it is very bumpy riding across it but smooth up and down, it was a cotton field about 15-20 yrs ago.
Kubota B3200 with FEL and Box sure look nice on that link. That's what i have in mind for my needs, just don't wanna need the HP later and not have it, but i see what you are saying about too big of tractor.

@creekbend The Kubota dealer is 1 hr away while the TYM, LS, Jinma is 1 hr and 30 min away, so it wouldn't be that much further IF price and dealer service is better. I have to some research on the Kubota dealer to see how they rank and then talk it out. My neighbor behind me was cutting his grass with a Kubota maybe I'll introduce myself and pick his brain about his tractor and dealer.

Thanks

/ Looking to buy.......... #6  
For a deere you do pay a premium bit there's a reason. They've been around for a long time and you still can get parts for some of they're oldest machines. You might consider getting just the tractor and FEL but get the rest of you implements elsewhere.

/ Looking to buy.......... #7  
You may want to go back to the Deere dealer and talk with him about "Deere Season". It's over for this year, but next Spring it will be back. During that period, there different incentives that can make that price much more palatable. 0% financing, rebates, and free add-ons may make a "total machine" purchase make more sense. That's exactly how I was able to grab my 2520 for LESS than it would have cost me to get a 2320 at the time, with the exact same bundle of attachments.

Something else you want to do is consider TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) and not just Sticker Price for the equipment. plowindeeper makes an excellent point that your machine, whatever you buy, will eventually need service and/or repairs. Ask the dealers about whether or not they charge for transport, how much, what the service costs are, etc. Be sure that you add in all of the expenses you will incur to own and operate a machine over at least a three-year period.

Consider the length of warranty, available attachments, ease of use, etc. If you buy a tractor solely on price, you will end up with a machine that has satisfied only the lowest of criteria that you should be considering. What it can do, how well it can do it, and how comfortable you are while it's doing what it does all rank WAY above $$$ in the end.

/ Looking to buy..........
@RPW I understand "you get what you pay for" but not in all cases. The deals i found cheaper on tractor house were John Deere deals at a much lower cost than he is offering when i talked to him about the deals i seen he wouldn't budge off his price........so with that said i am still looking at options i have considered just what you said "You might consider getting just the tractor and FEL but get the rest of you implements elsewhere." So that option is not off the table. :) I am living on one property and trying to establish another so a trailer is a must, I guess when i get home I'll post some pics of both properties, that might shed some light on what tractor will best fit my needs.......

@meburdick You make some very good points and i didn't know about Deere Season but will inquire, and yes after sitting on my deere Zero turn for 8 hrs my back was killing me, i know its just not the right machine for the job as far as size goes. I will ask all these questions and more, thanks for the insight.

Thanks

/ Looking to buy.......... #9  
You could buy a tractor and watch craigslist for used implements. If you are looking for a trailer you may want to check out kaufman trailers. They have some good prices. Depending on where you buy your tractor the dealer may make a good deal with the tractor, trailer, and some implements. Some dealers will give you price and will not budge off of it. What I meant earlier about tym was if that dealer goes out of bussiness where is the next one?

/ Looking to buy.......... #10  
You could buy a tractor and watch craigslist for used implements. If you are looking for a trailer you may want to check out kaufman trailers. They have some good prices. Depending on where you buy your tractor the dealer may make a good deal with the tractor, trailer, and some implements. Some dealers will give you price and will not budge off of it. What I meant earlier about tym was if that dealer goes out of bussiness where is the next one?

You could also start watching Craigslist *now* to see what sort of things tend to become available in your area. If you see a lot of equipment to fit Kubota, having a Deere won't help you in that area.

Kaufman was one of the trailers I looked at. They sell direct, so the trailer price itself is usually very competitive. Since you're "close" to where they're made, transport should be decent too. What I found was that the total cost of a Kaufman got me a trailer of quality "X". That same total cost from Anderson (the one I bought) got me beefier trailer. I also found that I could get somewhat competitive total pricing with Big Tex, but didn't care for my dealer at all.