Is 19HP enough power for a 52" ZTR mower?

/ Is 19HP enough power for a 52" ZTR mower? #1  

parfour7th

Tractor
Exmark Metro 36
Looking at a mint 2002 Toro Z Master with a 19 HP Kawasaki and a 52" deck for sale in my area. The price is right but that seems like a lot of mower for that engine based on what is on the market today. Any thoughts?

FWIW, I mow approx 2 flat residential acres and I'm a big guy (6'3" 275 lbs). I don't need to go 15 mph cutting tall grass but I don't want to get bogged down if I miss a cut from time-to-time either.

Thanks for your feedback!

/ Is 19HP enough power for a 52" ZTR mower? #2  
My 21 HP Kaw has no problems with a 54" deck..and I have some pretty hilly areas to mow..and Im not the smallest guy in the world, either. YMMV.

Last edited:
   / Is 19HP enough power for a 52" ZTR mower? #3  
Your correct that 52" ZTR have 25Hp today - but the earlier engines had heavier components than today - more steel, maybe longer stroke and more torque.

I wouldn't worry about HP too much but I would try it and see if it's comfortable to haul you around.. Do you have a lot of rough areas to cut?

/ Is 19HP enough power for a 52" ZTR mower? #4  
My 48 inch Exmark Lazer Z had an 18 horsepower Kohler command single cylinder. Honestly, it ran fine. Plenty of power. It only bogged down in heavy wet grass. You know those times in the spring where you can only mow in between rain storms and the grass is too tall already? Even then it was ok. Just had to go slow.

Chuck

/ Is 19HP enough power for a 52" ZTR mower? #5  
I cut 6 acres with the same mower. The 19 kaw is strong, and will handle anything that I have thrown at it over the years. Key is to keep the blades sharp.
It will cut 2 week old grass fine as fast as it will go.

/ Is 19HP enough power for a 52" ZTR mower? #6  
I have a bunton commercial 3 wheel mower with a 25hp command engine and 71" deck, absolutely no power problems. Your "inches per hp" are actually less than mine. I think it would be fine, especially if you keep the blades sharp. My mower also weighs about 950lbs and I am around 230.

/ Is 19HP enough power for a 52" ZTR mower? #7  
There are new standards for HP ratings.This 19 horse is no longer rated the same and more than likely is lower .How much lower I do not know.

Speaking from experience, I still own my first SCAG mower ,it is a 48" 19HP Kawasaki that I bought in '03. It has the three bag collection system ,driven off the outside pulley with a separate belt. It came thru with a 6" pipe,(that we converted at the dealer to the current 8" diameter). Talk about underpowered. Slightly wet grass,or spring grass,I could cut faster with sheep. Try going up a hill in those conditions too.

During summer months mostly it is fine,when the grass is easier to deal with.

I replaced it with a 26hp unit because I needed more power for going up hills ,in the spring. Even so moisture on the grass is still a huge problem for this collection system.

My opinion,I would pass and go for more HP.