Too good to be true?

/ Too good to be true? #1  

sparc

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4410, NH TC-25, Bobcat M610, JD X534, Dig-It Model 158, JD Ztrak 737. 6X4 Gator
Saw this on CL and it looks too good to be true. I am not in the market for
another tractor, was just searching to see what was out there in my area
and came across this. Doesn't give a location so I wonder if its on the up and up
or one of many CL scams. I'm not labeling it as such, I don't know wnaything about
the person or the listing but I've seen a few obvious scams on there and this has
a couple things that get the hair up on the back of my neck.

2OO6 JOHN DEERE 2210 Tractor MOWER and LOADER
SNAG-0000 9-22-2012 7.17.34 AM.jpg

I have not included a link to the ad as I don't know if that's allowed.
I'm not trying to help this person sell this item.

If it's legit then I figure it must have some mechanical problem.

/ Too good to be true? #2  
You didn't mention the price asked, so it's hard to say if it's a scam or not.
I flag several scam posts every week on CL. I get sick of seeing an almost new Bobcat with 4 attachments and a trailer for $6,000 and all of the other obvious scams that are taking up space legitimate folks could be using.

/ Too good to be true? #3  
if the price is WAY below what is usual for the item
if they do not include a phone number and the only communication trail is an email response thru CL
if it looks totally spotless
and, particularly, if the English is poor

Then it fits my criteria for a hoax....you can send response to the CL address....if they respond with some story about tractor being out of town, can't be shown, etc..then it surely is an phishing effort.

Sure sign...if exactly the same item, including wording and photo, shows up in numerous cities...then for sure it is a hoax and you should flag it

/ Too good to be true? #4  
The photo posted is of a used tractor(dunno what was posted on CL).

/ Too good to be true? #5  
Yeah, C/L sure is weird; I was selling a used tractor seat for $50 (in Mass. and got an inquir from Michigan!) and another, I was seeking egg cartons and got a response "I would like to see your work"

And a lot of ads, though seemingly legitimate, often repeat; I don't get it.

/ Too good to be true?
Woops, my bad, i left off the asking price...$2000 which seems low to me but I really don't know what this model is worth 6 years old. I know I paid way more than that cor my x534 in 2010 just for the tractor, then a couple k more for the bagger system and the snowblower.

/ Too good to be true? #7  
$2000? Sounds like a scam to me, I'd report it.

/ Too good to be true? #8  
that is definitely a scam. I get the same one on the craigslist that I check regularly. Happy hunting a good deal and good luck...

/ Too good to be true? #9  
I just flagged the famous bobcat scam. I live in Oregon, and the city where it was listed was about 20 miles away. Of course I asked to go look at it, and wouldn't you know it was in Montana! I already new it was phony, so I sent the guy a nasty email. Made me feel better I guess!

/ Too good to be true? #10  
Saw this on CL and it looks too good to be true. I am not in the market for
another tractor, was just searching to see what was out there in my area
and came across this. Doesn't give a location so I wonder if its on the up and up
or one of many CL scams. I'm not labeling it as such, I don't know wnaything about
the person or the listing but I've seen a few obvious scams on there and this has
a couple things that get the hair up on the back of my neck.

I had a very similar ad my local Craigslist. I knew it was a scam, but replied to it anyway, just to see what they said. Before i even got a response, the ad had been flagged on craigslist. Here is the email....

inquiring about the tractor.
Where is it located? Any other info you can provide?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad

Susan murphy
Sep 13 (12 days ago)

to me
Hi,
I'm sorry for the delay,the tractor is still for sale. Thanks for being interested in buying my Maasey Ferguson 1225Compact Tractor&Front Hydraulic Loader. It is in a good condition, no scratches, no damages, never been implicated in any accidents, no problems at the engine, runs very well. It has a diesel engine with 575 hours. It also has power steering, 540 PTO, hydraulic remotes, drawbar, toplink and a 3 pt hitch. It has hi/low range. It has a rollbar,a perfect tractor. The price is $1,924. The only thing I am selling its because I divorced with my husband and after the divorce I own this tractor, now as a woman I don`t need it.Since I don't have anyone to help me with the sale I decided to make this transaction through Amazon. Giving the nature of this transaction please note that my sale terms are final and nonnegotiable. In order to move forward I will need your full name, address and phone number so i can register the deal at Amazon Financial Department. After that Amazon will send you the payment instruction.
Also, I can send you the pictures and more details too. Just let me know if you are still interested.

Thank you very much,
Susan.

LMAO, i just laughed, but then thought about the poor clueless sucker that these people prey on. They probably dont care the ad gets pulled, they flood craigslist and if they get a few hits, then they might be able to pull off the scam.
I almost proceeded to send them some info just to get the fake "amazon Financial" paperwork.