John Deere 3038E

/ John Deere 3038E #1  

ruclark

Tractor
cub cadet 7252
I am looking at the John Deere 3038E to work my 5 acre horse farm. Tasks will include loader work, mowing and plowing a horse arena. I understand that these tractors are fairly light so weight will need to be added. My question is will this tractor pull a 5 or 6 ft tandem with it put in the ground? What about a chisel ? Your comments are appreciated as I dont want to spend the money if I will wind up disappointed with the purchase.

Russell

/ John Deere 3038E #2  
i would not want todo those chores with that tractor.as it doesnt have the needed hp or weight in my opion.id go with something along the lines of the kubota 4600 or MX5100.

/ John Deere 3038E #3  
for sure on what big bull said, i would go at least 45hp, if you go blue look at the Workmaster 45, Workaster 55, or even the Boomer 40 or 50.

/ John Deere 3038E
Thanks for the information. I will expand my search and will give the workmasters a view... How do they compare to the John Deeres ?

/ John Deere 3038E #5  
Do yourself a favor and look at EVERY 40HP-50HP tractor that is within your comfortable driving distance. Pretty much all the new tractors are pretty good. You just need to find what YOU are comfortable with, comfort, price and dealer wise.

Good luck and feel free to ask more questions.

Someone here has the answer. ;)

/ John Deere 3038E #6  
I have a 3038e and it is a lot stronger than I thought. I do have the rear tires filled but have only had problems pulling a 6 foot box blade up a steep hill full of gravel... But my previous 68 hp JD struggled with that too. However, I am unfamiliar with the equipment you list so defer judgement on that. I will say, as to brand, that Kubota, John Deere and other make good tractors... All of them. There are differences in design, comfort and other factors. Decide on the power and weight tractor you want, then check out your local dealers. You'll want a good, friendly dealer for your first tractor. The choice of brand may be secondary. Pick a couple of tractors at a couple dealers and then actually drive them for more than two seconds. Note controls, fit, engineering and such to make sure you are comfortable with that unit... And with the dealer. Then start negotiating prices. Most dealers have some leeway if you are buying equipment with it, etc. If you already have the equipment, dealers here will frequently let you take the tractor home and try it on your chores, with the option to bring it back if it doesn't work.
Again, you will find partisans on TBN for all different makes of tractor, but most major brands are quite good. Use your own judgement, and get that good dealer.

/ John Deere 3038E #7  
A bad thing thing about a JD 3038 is the loaders are non-removable. It may pull a 6' disc but it would probably give it a good workout. I would look for a heavier tractor. I would look a Kubota L3240 or MX5100 or JD 3520. The owners manual for my tractor says a L3240 will pull a 6ft disk and chisel.

/ John Deere 3038E
Thanks for the input... I am going to look at some bigger machines and will keep you posted on my progress..