Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tractor
    Kubota 3410

Default Re: Interesting dealer comment

Maybe they only sell the smaller (under 42 hp ) tractors which apparently are not subject to the testing requirement.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200, Kubota B2410

I have never done much research on this but I believe that CUTs are not included in the test regardless of who makes them. Since kubota only imports smaller tractors--relatively speaking--and more frequently their tractors are used in construction etc--they may have felt there was no need to submit to another "American" beuracracy.
    Toyota recently certified an engine based loosely off the aluminum Lexus V8 that was to be used for a cheap throwaway PT6 replacement. The PT6 is a turbine making upwards of 1,000 horses. The Toyota engine went threw all the ususal FAA morass of regulations and testing. It was I assume Toyotas first dealing with the moribund beuracracy. They became quite frustrated. Well, Toyota stuck it out and was given the certification and then they withdrew it from the market. They stuck it out due to company honor.
    I would not base my tractor purchase for a CUT on the Nebraska draw tests. The big three all make fine tractors, JD and NH spec a nice unit, the JD uses a Yanamar engine from Japan, Kubota builds their tractor with a Kubota engine. Their engines are also widely used in other industrial applications by second party manufacturers.
    In fact, I guess I should do my own research but I did not notice that the Nebraska test used any Hydro tractors. Kinda odd around here, the farmers all have big green tractors and combines or the big red ones from MF but quite a few seem to have little orange Kubotas running about also.
    I notice you was a lawyer, maybe you should get a JD, I don't want airbags on my 'bota. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]. Just kidding with ya, good luck whatever you get. J

I think it comes down to the definition of <font color="red"> Agricultural Model </font>. Apparently the CUTs are not included in this catagory. It was mentioned in the thread that it applied to 42 HP and higher but the information on the Nebraska Testing site says it applies to 20 HP and higher.

In reviewing the lists of available test reports from previous years it appears that CUTs of all brands (including kubota) were tested in the mid 80's but nothing after that. Maybe the law was modified to specifically exclude or clarify the requirements as they apply to CUTs.

One lesson from this is, as always, you must take whatever a salesman says with a grain of salt. I'm sure the salesman in this case was trying to be helpful and informative but the bottom line is JD does not submit their CUTS for the Nebraska testing either so they are no better off than Kubota in this regard.

Jeff

Tractor
    Satoh S650G, MF135, MF165, JD5205

Default Interesting dealer comment-Nebraska Tractor Tests

All current kubota “M” series have been tested and are approved for sale in Nebraska via the OECD testing facilities in Japan…. And many of the other compact tractor companies units being sold in the U.S. have also been tested and approved throughout the world OECD facilities… (other countries laws require “approval” of compact tractor testing, not the U.S.)

To be “sold” in the State of Nebraska, all “agricultural tractors of forty or more horsepower”, must submit a testing application to the Nebraska Tractor Labs with the proper fees and have the test conducted and completed and the tractor approved… or overseas manufacturers can submit the same to their jurisdiction through the OECD.

In the beginning, these “tractor tests” gave great credence and validity to a tractor manufacturers “salability” to have their unit tested and approved by the Nebraska Tractor Test Lab (prior to OECD). In fact, it was the only believable “yardstick” available to the farmer… and became a sort of “defacto standard” used throughout the world.

But over the years, the Lab fees have increased tremendously (inflation?)… Today an average tractor tested @ Nebraska Labs could well exceed $25-30K each full test… Also, the past ten to fifteen years or so… government deregulation has threatened these programs to almost become non-existent. Currently, the Nebraska Tractor Lab is facing this dilemma… and could be “out of business” as we know it, in the next few years…

As a side note… believe it or not… most all of the major Korean tractor mfrs (Daedong, Kukje, TYM, etc.) have submitted and been approved by the OECD, along with a few Chinese mfrs… [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Push mower, Snapper 21" 6 shovels, 2 rakes, a pick, 2 pinch bars, a post hole digger (two handle type) and 2 wheel barrows that handle like a Porsche.

Default Re: Interesting dealer comment-Nebraska Tractor Tests

I figured it was "Miller Time". John , John, John you are a plethora, a cornicopia, a guy with a lot of info. Thanks, Rat...

Veteran Member

But JM3,you forgot to fill in the blanks about why the NTTL came about in the 1st place...............

Veteran Member

Ahh Bird.....the kubota M4500 was an Ag-Utility tractor,and it dates back to 1978.

Tractor
    Satoh S650G, MF135, MF165, JD5205

<font color="blue">… why the NTTL came about in the 1st place…</font>

Hi Woodbeef,

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I’d figure, I’d leave the manufacturers “lying, cheating, misleading farmers and buyers” about their tractors actual/real performance and spec’s to another thread… [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

… as I also left out the OECD headquarters is based in France, along with the “metric” standards of the world, as the ISO 9000’s approvals… and all the “rumored” back room deals/payoffs and underhandedness… that has occurred over the years… for another forum &amp; lifetime to discuss… [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Veteran Member

Oh ya,and the country of origin testing too. What about the DLG and Silsoe vs. Official OECD test results also?

OK, Woodbeef, I didn't know they had the M series in this country that early, but wasn't sure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast