Tractor Sizing trade in jd990 for 5055e

/ trade in jd990 for 5055e #1  

sal64

Platinum Member
Tractor
jd 2320 jd 990 jd950
hello all im thinking of trading in my 990 with bh for a 5055e with a loader. my 990 is a 1998 model 257hrs i primerely use it for some snow plowing clearing some land and loging fire wood out of the woods to heat my house about 4-5 cords a yr. the maine reason im considerind the trade is i hate the backhoe attachment i bought it about 4-5 yrs ago and used it about 6 times it takes up space in my barn. so my question is would there be any disadvantages in a bigger tractor like manuvering in the woods.tu sal.

/ trade in jd990 for 5055e #2  
Sell the BH......257 hours your 1998 990 is still new

/ trade in jd990 for 5055e
i considered that but i woudent let it go cheap, also i mite be a hard thing to sell it a big unit 1000lbs and the subframe would have to be taken off, that is why im considering trading the hole unit in,i do like the tractor thats why i dont want to make a mistake and buy a big tractor that dosnt manuver to good.

/ trade in jd990 for 5055e #5  
A 5055E without a doubt will need more room to manuever than a 990. If the 990 is a good size for you and you want a new tractor you should check out the 4105 with hydro transmission. The 4105 is an economy tractor about the same weight and size as your current 990 but is alot less costly than the 4x20 models.

I operated a 990 with fel and backhoe yesterday for an hour or so helping out my neighbor, mostly loader work. No where near as convenient as the hydrostatic tractors in my opinion.

Is there any other reason you need a larger tractor size? Nothing wrong with larger tractors but the bigger they are the harder to fit between the trees.

A 5055E without a doubt will need more room to manuever than a 990. If the 990 is a good size for you and you want a new tractor you should check out the 4105 with hydro transmission. The 4105 is an economy tractor about the same weight and size as your current 990 but is alot less costly than the 4x20 models.

I operated a 990 with fel and backhoe yesterday for an hour or so helping out my neighbor, mostly loader work. No where near as convenient as the hydrostatic tractors in my opinion.

Is there any other reason you need a larger tractor size? Nothing wrong with larger tractors but the bigger they are the harder to fit between the trees.
no other reason maby to log more and bigger trees out of the woods and to clear some stone walls and stumps and brush .

/ trade in jd990 for 5055e #7  
Looking at your tractors and considering your in retirement I might also consider keeping the 990 and selling the 950 and replacing it with a 3520 cab tractor. That would give you a warm seat for winter snow removal, the older I get the more that stuff matters. I currently have and older 820 canopy tractor I am thinking about selling and replacing with a smaller 2720 with fel. That would change my lineup to the x749 with 3PH and 540pto, 2720 with fel, 110tlb cab and the 4520 cab. Basicallly an optimum tractor size for everything I need.

In your case it would seem the 2320 would be great for the small stuff, 3520 cab for snow work, the 990 for woods work. I would use that combination to do everything I needed doing. What little would be left that required larger machines could be done with a few days rental or hired out. I wouldn't buy the 5055E without the need for field work, which you haven't stated.

tankyou all for the responses i think i will take your advices and stay with what i have for now.