Looking For a Tractor - Using the "Price on Craigslist" Method

/ Looking For a Tractor - Using the "Price on Craigslist" Method #1  

5thGenTexan

Tractor
Kubota Grand L3130
Yeah, I have been basically just looking at everything on CL that is not over 10K, or at least too far over. I don't see buying new when there is plenty of prefectly good equipment out there used. I look alot at the MF listings because I grew up around a MF-135, so its what I know. I am however open to other options. I recently found a thread with a good list of questions, so I thought I would start there...

Welcome to TBN. It's best if you can tell us a little more about what your plans are. I could suggest a wide range of tractors could fit the needs you've mentioned but they could be either too large or too small to do what you want and then go into the pluses and minuses of each but you're head would be spinning.

How many acres on your farm (or the farm you're thinking of)? Do you plan on transporting the tractor to a business to use it and if so what do you have to move it (1/2 ton pickup, larger)? Is your land flat? Do you have a fair amount of acreage to mow or brush hog? Will you have a dirt road to maintain and if so how long? Will you have to clear snow, if so how much and often do you get it? Do you have a budget range to work with or are you going to try to buy what fits your needs and not worry as much about costs? Do you want bells and whistles or are you a no frills sort of person? Have you thought about what type of transmission you would like (gear like a standard car, a gst transmission that's kind of like an automatic in a car, or a HST that's very user friendly)?

I hope I didn't overwhelm you but as you'll find out choosing the right tractor takes a little time no matter which brand. Each tractor offers different features, some people find they like certain features while others find they can't live with them. Above all else read, always ask questions, and enjoy yourself.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-buying-pricing/213527-advice-kubota-tractors.html

How many acres on your farm (or the farm you're thinking of)? - I have 9.98 acres. About 3 1/2 acres is open and the rest is wooded, heavily. I don't plan on clearing it out, but I or will have someone clear out the underbrush to make it neater over time.

Do you plan on transporting the tractor to a business to use it and if so what do you have to move it (1/2 ton pickup, larger)? - Once I get it to my place I don't really plan on taking it going anywhere. I do have a 2012 F150 Ecoboost, so I do have enough ooommph to move something if I have to.

Is your land flat? Do you have a fair amount of acreage to mow or brush hog? - As stated above there is about 3 1/2 acres to mow and there is a bit of a slope, but its not bad at all. Things will change when we build and they do more grading to build the house pad. It took my dad a little over 2 hours the other day to mow it all on the MF-135.

Will you have a dirt road to maintain and if so how long? Will you have to clear snow, if so how much and often do you get it? - I want to just go with a rock drive, but my wife seems to think we need concrete. I am sure when the estimates come in I will win that one. :laughing: So, I will probably have rock drive a couple hundred yards long to maintain. I live in North Texas. Sometimes we get snow and sometimes we don't. Don't ever see a need to do any plowing of snow unless we have significant climate change.

Do you have a budget range to work with or are you going to try to buy what fits your needs and not worry as much about costs? Do you want bells and whistles or are you a no frills sort of person? Have you thought about what type of transmission you would like (gear like a standard car, a gst transmission that's kind of like an automatic in a car, or a HST that's very user friendly - I'd like to stay south of $10K or at least not go over too much. Bells and whistles? How fancy can they get on a tractor? Its for working outside after all. Like I said earlier, I grew up with the MF-135, so gear shift is what I am most accustomed to, but I'd like a FEL and I think there are better transmission options if one is doing alot of loader work. I'd also like the ability, using forks, to unload pallets off a truck if I ever need to.

I don't really care what color it is. :)

Thanks,
Jeffrey

/ Looking For a Tractor - Using the "Price on Craigslist" Method #2  
Carefull when responding to Craigs List!As you know lots of tractor scams out there.You may want to look at www.tractorhouse.com.Another thought,check the local dealers and let them know what you are looking for and how much you want to spend.

/ Looking For a Tractor - Using the "Price on Craigslist" Method #3  
Best wishes in regards to your search. If your can locate the tractor of your choice, equipped with a FEL, you will never regret it. A FEL comes in handy so many times. Just a thought.

/ Looking For a Tractor - Using the "Price on Craigslist" Method #4  
I used to have a MF165. It worked, but only for pulling stuff/3ph.

When I bought a tractor with a FEL, I learned what I had been missing.... It more than doubles the ways and times you will use the tractor to save your back. I cannot recommend a FEL enough. A skid steer type quick attach for the FEL is exceptionally handy for quick change from bucket to forks to hay spike, etc.....

Good luck, hope you find what you want...and, remember to save some $$ for the attachments, otherwise, it's just an engine!

/ Looking For a Tractor - Using the "Price on Craigslist" Method #5  
i bought mine 3 years ago on Craigslist and i couldn't be happier.i bought a clean international 2500 which is a industrial tractor.it is thee same as the farm version 574.great tractor with heavy duty loader. just have to watch the site daily for your area daily,sooner or later you will find what you are looking for.you can not hesitate or it will be gone.have the money ready.

/ Looking For a Tractor - Using the "Price on Craigslist" Method #6  
It sounds like you are pretty flexible on the machine and features. So I would think CL could work for you as long as you can recognize the signs of a troubled machine (and seller). If you are concerned about that, I would at least make sure you find a friend that can do it, and make sure he's with you when you go to kick the tires. There are a lot of good work horses on CL (at least in my area). It probably won't be waxed and shiny, but will have the muscle you are looking for. If you are patient, I think you could find something pretty nice in that price range. Good luck!

/ Looking For a Tractor - Using the "Price on Craigslist" Method #7  
i'd get a nice ford 8XX model.. preferable a 5spd with live pto.. thus 860 or 861 thought the plain 5 spd or 4spd will be fine.

good strong 45ish hp machine.. lots of ponies for it's size. would handle and compair and look / size favorably with that venerable mf 135

/ Looking For a Tractor - Using the "Price on Craigslist" Method #8  
Have u considered a yanmar from coldwater? they seem to be well respected here, and are in your price range. The Yanmar forum may be helpful.

/ Looking For a Tractor - Using the "Price on Craigslist" Method #9  
hard to beat the part support of an old ford or masseyF though....

/ Looking For a Tractor - Using the "Price on Craigslist" Method #10  
madmax I googled coldwater but I didnt come up with anything,do they have a website?
Brian