Dealer purchase dilemma

/ purchase dilemma #1  

kjk

Tractor
jinma
I'm getting ready to purchase a new L3200 HYD with loader and BH. Here is my dilemma. I have three local (30/50 miles)dealers that have good reputations within $2k of each other on price. Or i can order one from 900 miles away that can ship it here, has a good reputation and can beat the lowest price locally by 3k even with shipping included in the price. I usually am loyal to local dealers if they are near in price. How much risk is buying a new tractor from another state. I'm in connecticut and they are in Kentucky. They supposedly ship to new england frequently.

Any thoughts

Thanks

Kevin

/ purchase dilemma #2  
I'm getting ready to purchase a new L3200 HYD with loader and BH. Here is my dilemma. I have three local (30/50 miles)dealers that have good reputations within $2k of each other on price. Or i can order one from 900 miles away that can ship it here, has a good reputation and can beat the lowest price locally by 3k even with shipping included in the price. I usually am loyal to local dealers if they are near in price. How much risk is buying a new tractor from another state. I'm in connecticut and they are in Kentucky. They supposedly ship to new england frequently.

Any thoughts

Thanks

Kevin
Is this Barlows?

/ purchase dilemma #3  
I would buy the one from far away. 3k is a lot percentage wise.

/ purchase dilemma #4  
Generally when people ask this question, a large part of their savings is their state sales tax. On a 20 to 30 grand purchase those pesky sales taxes can really add up! If that's the case I would recommend not doing it. You have never really lived and experienced all of life's pleasures until you go through a tax audit. Think of it like a week long colonoscopy performed by prison inmates, in the slow line at the DMV while fully awake.

Not too mention you're guilty until you prove yourself innocent and any money you might have "saved" will pale in comparison to what it will finally cost you.

/ purchase dilemma
Thanks for the input, i like the analogy

kevin

/ purchase dilemma #7  
I read the audit post, but I would still go with the 3K savings. I lived back East in NH and I saw many, many people come in from other states to make those type of big purchases.

/ purchase dilemma #8  
Generally when people ask this question, a large part of their savings is their state sales tax. On a 20 to 30 grand purchase those pesky sales taxes can really add up! If that's the case I would recommend not doing it. You have never really lived and experienced all of life's pleasures until you go through a tax audit. Think of it like a week long colonoscopy performed by prison inmates, in the slow line at the DMV while fully awake.

Not too mention you're guilty until you prove yourself innocent and any money you might have "saved" will pale in comparison to what it will finally cost you.

I would not do it if that was the case. can you imagine the penalty and interest on it if you got caught.

/ purchase dilemma #9  
If it were me, I'd buy local if the difference were under a grand (especially if I were financing @0%). To me, 3 grand is real money. Thats gotta be close to half the cost of the backhoe .....free. As long as you never register the tractor for the road in your home state, I wouldn't be terribly concerned about the sales tax. Worst case scenario is you have to pay it some day..... but I'd say the odds are against that ever happening.

I live in New Hampshire where there is no sales tax. People come here from every direction to avoid paying a sales tax. Tools, appliances, clothes, even tractors. The best part is talking to the folks from Canada to shop and smuggle their purchases back across the border. They love to rave about their 'free' healthcare, then shop here to avoid having to pay their share of it ! :rolleyes:

/ purchase dilemma #10  
I agree, 3K buys a few new implements or a bigger tractor. And lots of people do it and never get caught. You take a risk with the selling dealer and he KNOWS he's not getting any warranty work or face to face complaints. More than likely if something is wrong on dealivery you will have to take it local to get if fixed. How are the local dealers supposed to treat you who lost the sale because of the sales tax when you need warranty work? Just things to think about.

Your states law on out of state purchases and it's use tax:

DRS: IP 2011(15), Q & A on the Connecticut Individual Use Tax