Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp?

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp? #11  
your tin must cost 4-5x than what it does here in florida.

i build those lil shelters ALL the time on my farm. they cost me 'about' a couple hundred...

I buy whatever tin is the cheapes. usually it's 'ripple' tin.. but now and then 5v is on sale. I plan my shed size based on tin price and availability.

it 12' is good price.. adn usually is.. i go 12' x 10' the tins are 26" and you overlap 2" thus a piec eof tin per 2'.. so a 12x10 is 5 pcs tin... down here that's about 80$ 4 posts, 5 2x4's and some roof and frame nails and that's about it. that usually costs me LESS than 200$

your call.

prices may be outrageous and gouging in your area.

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp?

i build those lil shelters ALL the time on my farm. they cost me 'about' a couple hundred...

I buy whatever tin is the cheapes. usually it's 'ripple' tin.. but now and then 5v is on sale. I plan my shed size based on tin price and availability.

it 12' is good price.. adn usually is.. i go 12' x 10' the tins are 26" and you overlap 2" thus a piec eof tin per 2'.. so a 12x10 is 5 pcs tin... down here that's about 80$ 4 posts, 5 2x4's and some roof and frame nails and that's about it. that usually costs me LESS than 200$

your call.

Is this what you are talking about?
12 Ft. Economy Galvanized 2-1/2 In. Oval Corrugated Roofing Panel-250OVALEC1200 at The Home Depot
I suppose it would work, doesn't get great reviews but then again neither does the HF carport LOL

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp? #13  
yep.. that's the stuff.

it IS thin.. if you have mountain gorilla's and elephants handlig it, it CAN be damaged. if you handle it like a normal human being and treat it like a 14$ piece of 12' x 26" material that you are gonna lay on a couple roof beams and then nail down to keep rain off your tractor.. it WORKS FINE.

if you treat it like it's a rented girlfriend at a truck stop you won't ever see again.. well.. yuo are gonna see less than stellar results.

like i said. i got multiple of those sheds with antiques parked under them. the first one I put up after buying the farm property 13ys ago is STILL up.

if you take a glass soda bottle and beat it on the ground it's gonna break.... if you popt he top and drink out of it.. it will be fine.

all in how you handle your material. and the price is hard to beat for a non rusting waterproof metal roof that blocks sunlight...

one last thing.. weal leather gloves and long sleeves. it's like handling a 12' x 26" razor blade.... ask me how I know..;)

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp? #14  

your call.

Around here you would more than that in the roofing. A 8'x26'' peice is 12.98. Shop Fabral 96-in Plain Corrugated Steel Roof Panel at Lowes.com

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp? #15  
i called around and just check prices between lowes, hd and a couple small and larger hardware stores. found 14.50 thru 19.50

that's like 72 - 97$ lowes near me always has the 14.50 tin... 2x4's are 3$ etc... up north everything must be more expensive....

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp? #16  
It looks like it's agreed, minimal frame and single slope metal roof. I wouldn't mess with the cheap corregated. Here (Michigan) real 29 gauge galvalume roofing only runs a little over $1 per square foot ($3 per running foot). For your 10 x 12 shelter, with fasteners, you would have less than $150 in the roof and it would be a 40 year warranty roof.

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp? #17  
Yes I have the kubota insurance for my new tractor, can't beat it for 20 bucks. I know that spending the 200 bucks would be better spent toward my pole building next year but I wanted to protect it. IF I put a tarp over it and allow air to get under it by not covering the tires all the way to the ground would that be ok. I just want to protect my investment the best I can till I have my pole building built. I figured a cheap car port would work cause he tarp would not be right on the paint and its not permanent. If a tarp over it will work for a month or two I guess I could save the money but when you spend 24000 on a tractor what is 200 to protect it. just looking for your opinions as I value your knowledge. Thanks

If you are only storing it for a month or two then will be bringing it home where you have dry storage then I would cover the seat and call it good. Tractors are more or less weatherproof, for a short period of time you should be okay. If you put up a small shed roof such as others are describing without walls and enclosure the tractor would still get wet in blowing rain, still be in the sun for a large portion of the time. My problem with the temporary litlle sheds and out buildings is that they seem to be around for too long. I would still say get the work done and get the tractor back home in a short time, focus on the work you need to finish without sidetracking.

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp? #18  
If it where me I'd get the HF portable garage and store the tractor till I got a permanent building up. You can always sell the portable garage on Craigslist at a later date to re-coop some of your money. I've heard of people puting three florescent light in them and making a temp paint booth .

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp? #19  
The KTAC insurance agent told me if you park your tractor in a field and cover it with a tarp and a mouse chewed the wires off of it they would not cover it. If you go with the portable gargae besure you have it staked really well. You may want to check at Costco, I have seen them there from time to time. If you are only going to use it for 2 months you may want to look at this one it is cheaper.

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp? #20  
I think I would just buy a chain and go between two Hemlocks and drape a tarp over it unless you will have a use for the shelter after you build your garage/ barn next year.