Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp?

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp? #21  
It looks like it's agreed, minimal frame and single slope metal roof. I wouldn't mess with the cheap corregated. Here (Michigan) real 29 gauge galvalume roofing only runs a little over $1 per square foot ($3 per running foot). For your 10 x 12 shelter, with fasteners, you would have less than $150 in the roof and it would be a 40 year warranty roof.

yep.. no snow load in florida.. though that thin roofing will shed snow with a couple purloins supporting it and a good slope. I'd put more faith in a metal roof than that tarp-port. I'm done witht hose things. i use to use them.. tarps get beat by the wind and cooked by the sun. the commercial frames I bought were good poles.. but you can't keep tarps on them here in fl. too much sun and wind. Now.. what I have done is taken the smaller 12x12 commercial kits ( poles cost more thanthe hf kit total ).. and them used sheet metal screws and put that ripple tin on them, then used another piece as a vent ridge using a firring strip / 1x3 on the underside for the ridges and purloins.

the hf kits, saimilar i suspect to the tsc and walmart/kmart kits is a thin tube.. thinner than the commercial tubes .. the commercial tubes are more like fence top rails and or line posts.. the hf/tsc/walmart tubes are something like a 1" tube.... wind eats them alive.

proper staking of the tarp DOES help them smaller frames.

good luck.

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp? #22  
Up north we have to think about snow loads, the tin has to better supported unless you want to risk a ton of snow breaking the roof and all of it coming down on the tractor. I like CrazyAl's idea for cost and simplicity.

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp? #23  
Would it fit in a POD?

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp? #24  
i think I'd put that 180$ into 4 4x4's and 3 20' 2x4's and a couple 8/10'ers and some roof tin and nails.

might cost you a hair more that way.. but will assemble almost as fast and give you a pole leanto hut style building that will last longer than the hf job and do the deed. keeps suna nd rain off of her.. lets air flow.. don't trap humpdity.. or flap and beat paint.

I agree with SoundGuy as a friend of mine here in Northeast Ohio had damage done to his car. Old man winter dumped a load of snow one winter night and the weight of the heavy snow collapsed the whole thing. I see you reside in PA so you most likely get more snow than we do here in Ohio at times.

I't can't be that difficult to build a good shelter.

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp? #25  
Up north we have to think about snow loads, the tin has to better supported unless you want to risk a ton of snow breaking the roof and all of it coming down on the tractor. I like CrazyAl's idea for cost and simplicity.

so.. add another couple purloins.

no magic there.. just a couple more bucks in wood and a couple more nails....

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp? #26  

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp? #27  

Those 4x4's will have to turn into 6x6's too.

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp? #28  
Those 4x4's will have to turn into 6x6's too.

not for a small 8' or 10 'x12 structure...

compressive strength of wood is about 625 pounds per square inch. A 4x4 is 3.5" per side, thus a cross-sectional area of 12.25 square inches. 625 x 12.25 = about 7656 pounds.

7656 x 4 = 30624

where you guys live? antarctica?

I know that total carried load on the roof will be derated by the load capacity of the long members. but the 4x4's themselves should be fine.... each one can carry near 4 tons mashing them down into the ground..

I'm assuming a pt treated 4x4 as well..

this will be my last post in this thread. I hate getting drawn into a discussion on a temp structure that someone wants to hair-split and build it like the president is going to live in it as a 2nd story building and has to support tanks and aircraft carriers landing on the roof. been there once.. swore i'd not get into any more discussions like that. her eit is 10ys later and I obviously forgot that.

6x6... that's funny.. :) why not 8x8? heck.. lets go structural steel.

we'll need to go ahead and pour a footer / stemwall.. but will need to excavate down past the frost line and build up.

might want to check local codes and see what kind of strapping and tie downs the roof needs for wind loads.. etc..e tc.. :( 2 week storage till a barn can be built and someone wants 6x6's... :( :(

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp? #29  
The 4x4s would work fine but you'll need knee braces to support the weight of the snow. I think you would have to use 12' sheets with a single pitch (or cut them in half) as I think 8' sheets are not going to be able to span the entire distance and have a steep enough pitch to shed the snow. Ideally 8' sheets on each side would work well but now you are talking 14 to 16 sheets of steel, the 4x4 frame, a heavy ridge beam, rafters, and collar ties. I also think you would want to run strapping or rafter ties to support the steel sheets. At this point it time I would invest more money into this structure and construct it with the intentions of it being a permanent structure. That would mean sinking the 4x4s into the ground or cement pads with brackets as you don't want the weight of the snow to kick out the 4x4s.

I think the difference here is that up north we have to deal with 2' of heavy wet snow. The last thing you want is to build a structure that's not going to hold and finding it collapsed on top of your tractor.

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp? #30  
not for a small 8' or 10 'x12 structure...

compressive strength of wood is about 625 pounds per square inch. A 4x4 is 3.5" per side, thus a cross-sectional area of 12.25 square inches. 625 x 12.25 = about 7656 pounds.

7656 x 4 = 30624

where you guys live? antarctica?

I know that total carried load on the roof will be derated by the load capacity of the long members. but the 4x4's themselves should be fine.... each one can carry near 4 tons mashing them down into the ground..

I'm assuming a pt treated 4x4 as well..

this will be my last post in this thread. I hate getting drawn into a discussion on a temp structure that someone wants to hair-split and build it like the president is going to live in it as a 2nd story building and has to support tanks and aircraft carriers landing on the roof. been there once.. swore i'd not get into any more discussions like that. her eit is 10ys later and I obviously forgot that.

6x6... that's funny.. :) why not 8x8? heck.. lets go structural steel.

we'll need to go ahead and pour a footer / stemwall.. but will need to excavate down past the frost line and build up.

might want to check local codes and see what kind of strapping and tie downs the roof needs for wind loads.. etc..e tc.. :( 2 week storage till a barn can be built and someone wants 6x6's... :( :(

[/QUOTE]
I thought we were talking about something for this guy to keep his tractor under, a B3200 with a loader and a back hoe. What is he going to do, have the loader bucket and hoe out in the weather? A BX with a loader would barely go under a 10x12. If I built it I would go down to the frost line and concrete the post. I have had snow storm in excess of 40."