Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp?

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp? #31  
Yep before you know it this one to two month storage building will become the PERMANENT FACILITY and will take all winter to build on weekends.

That is why I suggested finish up your chores and put the tractor in your dry storage back home for the winter. When I think about operating the tlb I have in the inclement weather, digging holes (actually touching dirt and rubbing against it!!!!) scooping water out of a trench this whole thing is ridiculous.

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp? #32  
I agree with your idea, and will strongly consider. Thanks

Not to mention that some of that material may be completely reusable when you do build something more substantial for protection from the elements. Try doing that with a temporary carport from HF (or anywhere else, for that matter). :)

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp? #33  
Soundguy said:
not for a small 8' or 10 'x12 structure...

compressive strength of wood is about 625 pounds per square inch. A 4x4 is 3.5" per side, thus a cross-sectional area of 12.25 square inches. 625 x 12.25 = about 7656 pounds.

7656 x 4 = 30624

where you guys live? antarctica?

I know that total carried load on the roof will be derated by the load capacity of the long members. but the 4x4's themselves should be fine.... each one can carry near 4 tons mashing them down into the ground..

I'm assuming a pt treated 4x4 as well..

this will be my last post in this thread. I hate getting drawn into a discussion on a temp structure that someone wants to hair-split and build it like the president is going to live in it as a 2nd story building and has to support tanks and aircraft carriers landing on the roof. been there once.. swore i'd not get into any more discussions like that. her eit is 10ys later and I obviously forgot that.

6x6... that's funny.. :) why not 8x8? heck.. lets go structural steel.

we'll need to go ahead and pour a footer / stemwall.. but will need to excavate down past the frost line and build up.

might want to check local codes and see what kind of strapping and tie downs the roof needs for wind loads.. etc..e tc.. :( 2 week storage till a barn can be built and someone wants 6x6's... :( :(

Your a very funny man Soundguy. I always enjoy reading your posts. I have to say, I am all for keeping the tractor out of the elements, but no need to go crazy with supports. Heck it's only going to be used for October and November at most. We hardly ever see any snow until December.

When I bought my tractor I was facing the same problem. I put four 4x4 corner posts in the ground about two feet deep. I nailed four 2x4's between them around the top. I nailed a tarp to the 2x4 perimeter. When I pulled the tractor under it, I just propped a 2x4 on the floorboard of the tractor and passing through the steering wheel to keep it from falling over. This 2x4 was just long enough to push the center of the tarp up, so it was higher then the perimeter, to keep the rain from ponding on top.

That lasted long enough for me to build my shed.

image-1135545232.jpg

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp?
Well I am getting the tractor delivered on next wednesday, obviously excited as I can't wait to enjoy the technology of a new tractor vs my 1952 ford 8n. I am going to have to figure something out as far as cover, but will more than likely be something hasty for the next month or so then pole building next year. THanks for all your advise and I have some great ideas to get me thru. Thanks :thumbsup:

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp? #35  
Well I am getting the tractor delivered on next wednesday, obviously excited as I can't wait to enjoy the technology of a new tractor vs my 1952 ford 8n. I am going to have to figure something out as far as cover, but will more than likely be something hasty for the next month or so then pole building next year. THanks for all your advise and I have some great ideas to get me thru. Thanks :thumbsup:

You are really going to like your new tractor, that will be a big leap from a 8n. I had a 8n for 21 years.