Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp?

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp? #1  

itpdk9

Tractor
Kubota B3200 TLB
Hello all,

So I am looking for a temp way to cover my new TLB. The tractor is left at my camp and I don't have a pole building yet to store it in. I will park it under some huge hemlocks and was going to tarp it. But I was wondering if putting it under something like this would be better. plus i have a 20% off coupon :thumbsup:

10 ft. x 17 ft. Portable Garage

Now I know of harbor freight quality. But it will only be for a month or so then I am bringing the TLB home for the winter. Then the TLB will go back up in the spring while I build my cabin and will be back out in the elements.

So to clarify, would it be better to just throw a tarp over the tractor for now (condensation) or put it under a car type port. The car port I will just leave the front off so I can get it in and out. Thanks in advance

ps, i did a search and didn't find anything and hopefully this is in the right section.

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp? #2  
I would rather forego the portable garage if you plan to build a real garage next year, the money spent for the portable could be better used on the permanent buildings. I am not a fan of tarps on machinery at all, oftem the lack of air flow is more damaging than leaving it in the open. I would be more concerned about theft than weathering, make sure you have insurance coverage for this location.

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp? #3  
Although I do not own one my friend has 2 or 3 of them to cover his TLB and another for his lawn care items. They have worked fine for him and held up to the Great Northeaster Winters. As jenkinsph said ,I too am not a fan of them. And when I was looking for an enclosure for my tractor and attachments I went with a TNT Carport, W,18'XL,26'XH,8' and left the ends open so I could drive in and drop or attach different attachments as needed. The open ends don't allow condensation to form and makes it a breeze to operate in. Hope this helps you?
DevilDog

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp? #4  
i think I'd put that 180$ into 4 4x4's and 3 20' 2x4's and a couple 8/10'ers and some roof tin and nails.

might cost you a hair more that way.. but will assemble almost as fast and give you a pole leanto hut style building that will last longer than the hf job and do the deed. keeps suna nd rain off of her.. lets air flow.. don't trap humpdity.. or flap and beat paint.

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp? #5  
I would go with the portable garage. I agree with Steve tarps are bad for equipment. If you do what Soundhuy said you may want to consider a carport. I think the cost would be about the same but they put it up for you.

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp? #6  
I would go with the portable garage. I agree with Steve tarps are bad for equipment. If you do what Soundhuy said you may want to consider a carport. I think the cost would be about the same but they put it up for you.

around here them 'carports' used to be 595$, and are now 795$

My method costs a couple hundred.. pops up in about 2 hours by yourself with a hand saw, hammer, bucket of nails and a ladder.. a framing square and tape measure are real helpfull too.

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp?
I would rather forego the portable garage if you plan to build a real garage next year, the money spent for the portable could be better used on the permanent buildings. I am not a fan of tarps on machinery at all, oftem the lack of air flow is more damaging than leaving it in the open. I would be more concerned about theft than weathering, make sure you have insurance coverage for this location.

Yes I have the kubota insurance for my new tractor, can't beat it for 20 bucks. I know that spending the 200 bucks would be better spent toward my pole building next year but I wanted to protect it. IF I put a tarp over it and allow air to get under it by not covering the tires all the way to the ground would that be ok. I just want to protect my investment the best I can till I have my pole building built. I figured a cheap car port would work cause he tarp would not be right on the paint and its not permanent. If a tarp over it will work for a month or two I guess I could save the money but when you spend 24000 on a tractor what is 200 to protect it. just looking for your opinions as I value your knowledge. Thanks

/ Harbor Freight Car Port or Tarp? #8  
around here them 'carports' used to be 595$, and are now 795$

My method costs a couple hundred.. pops up in about 2 hours by yourself with a hand saw, hammer, bucket of nails and a ladder.. a framing square and tape measure are real helpfull too.

I was going to build a shed to keep firewood under and figured everyhting up that I need and it was around $800 for the same size as the carport. What jacked the price up was the tin for the roof.

i think I'd put that 180$ into 4 4x4's and 3 20' 2x4's and a couple 8/10'ers and some roof tin and nails.

might cost you a hair more that way.. but will assemble almost as fast and give you a pole leanto hut style building that will last longer than the hf job and do the deed. keeps suna nd rain off of her.. lets air flow.. don't trap humpdity.. or flap and beat paint.

I agree with your idea, and will strongly consider. Thanks

I was going to build a shed to keep firewood under and figured everyhting up that I need and it was around $800 for the same size as the carport. What jacked the price up was the tin for the roof.

I hear ya, that is what I was thinking, a more temp structure i.e., cheap hf carport is cheaper does the deed and then I can really build next year. Decisions decisions :confused: