A done deal and what I learned in the process

/ A done deal and what I learned in the process #1  

jimg

Veteran Member
First, thanx very much to all who took the time to answer my questions directly or indirectly. I found this forum immensely valuable not just for purchasing info but for all my future needs as well. I think Ill stick around if thats OK. I *really* appreciate it ALOT your willingness to share ideas and insights.

Last Sat I made it a done deal w/ my local NH dealer (Chappell Tractor). I think he made me as good a deal as I could find anywhere else locally. I wound up w/ a 24D, loader, finish mower and snow blower. I did look out of state and thought I had a less expensive pkg from OK Tractor (in NC). However, since they dont get that much snow the price on their blower blew the, up to that pt, great quote. Also the the locals were trying to reduce inventory and were making super deals on blowers.

I decided at the outset I wasnt going to look at grey market or Chinese. Otherwise I considered all of the machines I could view locally: JD, NH, MF and Kubota. I found no stocking dealers, w/i a reasonable commute, for Cub or Case.

The NH dealer (Chappell Tractor) was the first I visited b/c I had done business w/ them in the past for nontractor related items. Initially I tryed out the TC18 and was almost set on buying it...until I tryed out the TC24D. I found the later more comfortable and for the extra HP worth the few extra $$$. The dealer was fairly helpful, knowledgable and willing for me to try out various machines. Overall a very good experience.

The JD dealer (Rosencrantz) was tough. I had to make a couple trips before he would even talk to me. While he would answer questions he wasnt extremely knowledgable about the machines I was looking at. Many times he couldnt answer my questions. His prices were far higher than any other brand to the tune of almost $4000! I did fill out a credit app but wasnt notified of approved until after I bought my NH.

The Kubota dealer (Chappell Tractor) was very knowledgable and answered all of my questions well. He was very willing to show me what he had...a very good experience. However, the prices were very high and I just dont fit in them well. Although I did fit in the 2910 I later decided I wanted a small chassis class machine.

The MF dealer was the best of the lot. He was hyper friendly and showed me all around...it was like being the long son come home. I would have loved to give him my business but MF wasnt his best friend. MF I think has totally missed the CUT market. Supply of hydros is very limited so dealers cant get them easily. Once you go to the mid chassis class hydro isnt even an option. I did try out a gear machine and really liked it but I doubt my wife would. Also no folding ROPS...so they dont fit thru a standard garage door (my door being the std /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif of course). Access to the engine and regular maintenance pts was very limited w/ the loader in place. If MF ever gets their act together I would buy their product.

How did I finally decide on the NH??? Well, it wasnt the numbers b/c for a given gross HP all of the big makers have virtually identical specs. For instance the JD 4115 and NH 24D are the same thing exc for some *very* minor differences and color. So, for someone to say that one machine of a certain gross HP is better than another of the same or similar HP is fiction and has no basis in fact. You'll be deciding almost purely on esthetics, comfort and styling. Its rather like buying a car. What I did was figure out what I *really* wanted to do w/ the machine (be relistic and list your needs). Then I found the smallest chassis class that would support those. Since theres generally little price difference (relatively speaking) between low and high end in a given chassis class I only considered the high end of the class. This I figured gave some margin of error so I might do other work I hadnt figured on. The only price break youll get is if you want (and can find) a gear tractor (vs hydro). For the reasons stated above I have concluded CUTs are becoming a commodity (if they arent already). Theyre all alike w/ certain small differences depending on make. Other than chassis class the only other big decision you get to make is the type of tire (R1, R3 or R4).

So, there you have it...my take on the process of buying a CUT.
OK, feel free to flame away or whatever... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Oh, one other thing...try them all out. I had loads of fun driving tractors that I knew I wasnt going to buy (at least right now /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

With the shopping over (thankfully b/c Im not a world class shopper like my wife and daughter) Im looking forward to putting the machine to work. While a delivery date hasnt yet been set I think itll likely be this coming Sat. I sure do hope it isnt raining then. My boys are esp looking forward to getting this tractor as it means pulling stumps and rocks should become somewhat less labor intensive. (Theyve recently been learning the joys of stump pulling. Now they understand why trees dont fall down during wind storms. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

/ A done deal and what I learned in the process #2  
Congratulations on your new purchase. I know you and the boys will be thrilled. Nothing like plucking a stump from the ground to make you feel good. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

You did an excellent job of describing the CUT buying experience.

/ A done deal and what I learned in the process #3  
A New Holland! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

After EVERYTHING we told you - you STILL went out and bought a New Holland!

Man, it's GREAT to see that someone is really listening! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Enjoy your new tractor! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ A done deal and what I learned in the process #4  
But you overlooked all the viable lower cost competition. what about Mahindra,Kioti,and Long. or Century/Branson if a geared one?

/ A done deal and what I learned in the process
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I know you and the boys will be thrilled. Nothing like plucking a stump from the ground to make you feel good. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
)</font>
LOL! I think its my boys who will be most appreciative. Last wk I heard a lot of 'Dad, I sure will be glad when we get a tractor!!'. Seeing as its summer vacation time and they have time on their hands I found some work to keep them occupied mainly along the lines of pulling stumps and rocks. I havent yet told them that they didn the easy ones and the next batch are fresh. I must say theyve done an outstanding job to now. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh well...what can I say. Guess Im not easily mislead. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nope, I didnt. To my knowledge theres not a dealer locally.

/ A done deal and what I learned in the process #8  
Jim,

Congrats - I wish the TC24 was available a year ago, I'd probably have bumped up the HP too. Chappell will treat you right, They've treated me right.

Enjoy the new machine. If we get another winter like last year, I'll be very jealous of your snowblower.

Hi Hazmat,
The blower was one of those gotta have items. In the past its taken me 3-4 hrs to clean up a big storm...and thats with the boys helping. Ill be SO glad to retired my old MTD 23" blower. Not that it hasnt been reliable but it just takes too long. I planned to write up my observations of the blower on this forum after Ive used it some.
jimg