Buying Advice Not Sure What Type of Tractor to Buy

/ Not Sure What Type of Tractor to Buy #11  
Mention has been made of buying used, here is an example of a potentially nice unit I would consider and if it was available a couple of weeks ago might would have bought it; don't see them that often.

We have bought used several times.

2007 Kubota tractor

/ Not Sure What Type of Tractor to Buy #12  
TripleR is spot on about dealers ! Absolutely go with a good,solid,reputable, dealer...as I found out (in a good way) they can make or break your experience with tractors...I'm luck, got a good local dealer for the brand I bought...

Rich

/ Not Sure What Type of Tractor to Buy #13  
from what your plans are for the tractor the hp should be 45 to 55hp.an that will allow you to plow your driveways without the added expenses of a plow truck.that money can go on the tractor.youll want a loader an 4x4 no question.an depending on who is driving an HST tranny.the tractor can move round bales an till your gardens an clear brush if needed.

/ Not Sure What Type of Tractor to Buy #14  
Tractor or Truck is the first question to be answered. You will need both at some point if your farm is sucessful. I 'd pick the tractor first since some jobs can only be done with a tractor. You can always have supplies, fertilizer and such delivered, but need a tractor to move or apply it. I would figure that in your area the dealers lean more toward lawn & garden than agriculture. There is a difference in service and attitude. Choose your dealer wisely.

/ Not Sure What Type of Tractor to Buy #15  
from what your plans are for the tractor the hp should be 45 to 55hp.an that will allow you to plow your driveways without the added expenses of a plow truck.that money can go on the tractor.youll want a loader an 4x4 no question.an depending on who is driving an HST tranny.the tractor can move round bales an till your gardens an clear brush if needed.

Really, 45 to 55 hp for the 5 acres they are working themselves. I would go above a sub-compact and make sure I had enough loader to move whatever size hay they produce, if they are going to use it themselves. Other wise I think they can get by well below 45 hp.

MarkV

/ Not Sure What Type of Tractor to Buy #16  
I'm concentrating my advice on the snow issue as its requires the most tractor to handle. You'll want something around 40 - 45 horsepower with 4wd (a must for snow) hydrostatic transmission, a front end loader ( the graple style is best for moving brush) a front mounted snow blower, bush hog, rear scraper blade for moving lighter snow falls and maintaining your driveway, post hole digger for constructing fencing. You can get away with a rear mounted blower but you have to work in reverse which is a pain. I like Masseys, I've owned 3 and have had good luck. Deeres are pricey I've heard mothing but good things about Kiotis, Mahindras, Kubotas and New Hollands.
Visit some dealers, tell them what you want to do. They can be most informative. I guess my strongest advice is not let them sell you down on power. A 40-45 horse machine not only has more power but it has more weight and when it comes to tractors more weight equals more traction.
Beware of the Chineese made brands.

/ Not Sure What Type of Tractor to Buy #17  
Really, 45 to 55 hp for the 5 acres they are working themselves. I would go above a sub-compact and make sure I had enough loader to move whatever size hay they produce, if they are going to use it themselves. Other wise I think they can get by well below 45 hp.

MarkV
a 45hp might be able to handle a 4 by 5 bale.but it would still be lite on the front end.ive got the 55hp kubota an i handle 4 by 6 an 5 by 6 bales with ease on the fel as long as i have 1 on the rear.

/ Not Sure What Type of Tractor to Buy #18  
I would go with a Grand L Kubota, like a L3540 or larger. The Grand L is a really nice tractor with some neat features. A cab may be something good for you since you have a long drive and will need to keep it open in the winter. Hydro transmissions are very nice and user friendly. I you decide to go with a tractor without a cab a Kubota MX5100 may be good for you.

/ Not Sure What Type of Tractor to Buy
Oh my goodness - thank you all so much for such a warm welcome and for not making me feel so embarrassed for asking what are really dumb questions. I wasn't sure anyone would answer and was overwhelmed with all the really nice and helpful responses. Thank you all!

Rich - Thank you for recommending the Mahindra 3616. It looks likes a beautiful tractor and if my husband does end up getting one with a cab, AC, FWD, radio, heat, I think you are right - I probably won't seem him again for months!

Woodlandfarms - I took your advice and left the computer open. My husband saw this thread and was a little embarrassed that I wrote in (you were right he doesn't read manuels either) but he read every one of the replies and kept coming back to the computer. He spent about several hours late last night looking at the posts again and all the different models everyone recommended and started a list. He's been talking about tractors now all weekend and I'm sure is going to start posting some questions under his own handle. (He's been busy trying to clear brush/woods all weekend with a wheelbarrow and garden tools (which hasn't gone all that well) and will probably write in on his own tomorrow or Tuesday. And thank you for the advice about buying used but making sure to buy new motors if we can and that the controls are different on the Kubota.

s219 - Thank you for such a nice welcome. My husband will definately look at the 3 series Deere and Kubota. And I didn't know the implements will end up costing as much as the tractor. I didn't even know that tractors cost a lot more than cars until this weekend.

Riptides - Thank you too for such a nice welcome. I think we are trying to do too much at first and probably expecting too much of our first tractor. My husband thought it was a great idea about the gravel rake and blade, since our driveway has potholes and needs more gravel. I think we will end up getting a utility vehicle as soon as we can afford it after the tractor (not sure whether it will be that first or a pick up truck). We have four kids (including two babies and an older son with special needs) and it's getting hard to keep pulling them all in wagons up and down the farm.

James KOUA - Thank you too for such great advice and for not making me feel so embarrassed for writing in. My husband made a list of specs from theses posts and added 4WD, hydrostatic and at least 40 HP (or 45-55 if we can afford it). Thank you.

TripleR - Thank you for such great advice and for such a nice welcome. We do have a separate mower for the yard. My husband added high HP, FEL, HS to his list. We really hope we can find a good dealer - it's funny that they all seem to only deal with one brand and that you can't really go to one tractor store to buy a tractor. Great advice about going on a day off. I'm sure the sale people will realize that we don't really know that we are new to this and it would be nice to get a feel for the tractors before they start the sales pitch. Glad to hear your wife has her own tractors. Hope someday I can get my own (or at least a utility vehicle to move the kids and things to and from the barn). Really great quote from Samuel Johnson.

MarkV - Thank you for mentioning the bales and for the nice welcome. I think the bales are large round instead of the small square ones and my husband is going to ask his cousin what is the best way to move the bales and what size loader capacity he will need. Most farms around here are small horse farms and use the square bales and my husband's cousin has a much bigger farm up north. We are really grateful he is going to help with this because we heard bale equipment can be very expensive and there are not many people who bale hay around here any more. And thanks for the advice on HP. We will try to get 45 to 55 HP if we can afford it. Thank you.

DAY - Now my husband really wants both a truck and a tractor! Thank you. But I think you are right - it would be much easier to have a truck in the winter here for the snow . I hope we will be able to get one after a year or so. It seems kind of funny but I think trucks cost less than tractors.

BigBull338 - Really good point about HP for plowing the drive way and hay bales and getting the added HP. It's a long drive way with a small hill and some turns and a lot of trees and I worry about husband getting stuck in the snow. Hay bales are big round bales. I'm not sure what size they are but my husband will check with his cousin to make sure he gets the right size loader to handle the bales. Thank you!

Hosspuller - I think we will get a tractor first, since it does more than a truck (but thanks to DAY my husband wants both!). And you are right about the dealers around here -- they deal mostly with lawn and garden and the nearest real farm tractor dealer is almost an hour north from here. I hope we can find a good dealer. Thank you.

Mark Page - Thank you for the advice on HP. We are going to try for 45 to 55 HP if we can afford it or at least 40 HP, with HS, FEL. My husband added all the things you mentioned to his list. Glad to hear good things about Massey too. Thank you!

94Bullitt - Thank you for the advice about the Kubota L3540. My husband took a look online and really liked it. Am hoping we can afford one with a cab. They seem safer and a lot warmer too! Thank you.

Just wanted to thank you all again for such great advice and such a nice welcome. I'm sure my husband will write in on his own but we are both so grateful for the advice. And again sorry for so many questions - and also now for such a long email, but I just wanted to thank you all personally for such great advice. (And hope I didn't miss anyone).

/ Not Sure What Type of Tractor to Buy #20  
2 more things, or should I say one new and one old

Its the dealer, not the tractor. Unless you are super mechanically inclined, go visit your dealers first. Get their opinions, look at their service department, takes some brochures and prices home. Find out who he has sold to and ask them what their experience was like. Every manufacturer makes a lemon. A few more than others but the major brands are about the same. Won't do you any good to review the outstanding kubota line if you don't have a dealer or a dealer worth his salt.

Second, ask about a demo day. Many dealers will bring out a machine for you to put a few hours on. Get the feel of. I bet 90% of those delivered are never picked up ;-) If they won't deliver, rent one for a day or a week. I was raised with large ag tractors, had no sense of what a SCUT or CUT was. Now I own a tractor that no one in my neck of the woods has ever seen.

Anyway. You came to the right place for advice on tractors, and on projects.