Buying Advice Bat wing bush hog what info do i need to know

/ Bat wing bush hog what info do i need to know #1  

Tugjeep

Tractor
john deere 2350,john deere 410b,ford 1900
Hello I'm finding myself needing a larger bush hog. Need info and specs and things to check for. I see some for sale that have 1000 rpm inputs what should I look for?

/ Bat wing bush hog what info do i need to know #2  
some are setup for 1000 and some for 540

you need to match the hog to your machine.

now.. if this hog is for your jd 2350.. that's kind of a small machine... 55 pto hp.... that's more suited to a 10' mower IMHO.... have to look at weight as well as hp..

post back.

/ Bat wing bush hog what info do i need to know
Yeah I'm hoping to run it behind the jd for now lot of used 15 ft ones on Craigslist a bigger tractor will probably be in my future. Most of the fields are smooth and level just trying to save some time. I have young kids and don't need to spend all weekend cutting fields

/ Bat wing bush hog what info do i need to know #4  
I ran a 15' for field mowing with a 5400 Deere (60 hp rated) and I was satisfied with the power. This was not super heavy shoulda made hay mowing, just "regular" mowing. I've found that in the tall/heavy stuff, while it does eat up hp, the mower still needs a certain ammount of time on it, (slow down) that is no matter how much hp you have, you can only travel but so fast over the heavy stuff.
And as Soundguy said, heavy and mucho tongue wt. (+ 3 remotes).:thumbsup:

/ Bat wing bush hog what info do i need to know #5  
a jd1517 is a light duty batwing setup for 540 pto... I've spun it up with a ford 5000 and moved it.. but that machine is 70 engine hp.

I've moved it with my 4600, and again.. spun it up.. but never mowed with it.. didn't want to either.. felt too light traveling with wings up on flat ground.. and.. that's just not very much hp there..

you will be at something like 3.75hp per foot.. that's real anemic.

perhaps find a 12f batwing.. or 10/12' vwing.. or a 10' fixed deck....

/ Bat wing bush hog what info do i need to know
Hey guys sorry bout the slow response I'm on nights this week on the river. Thanks for your input most of the fields are Baha'i we own acreage but this will be the first time you can see it from the kitchen so I know the wife will want it kept up more often. I see several styles for sale are there different features what's needed and what's just extra maitanence and weight. Thanks again