Looking for some opinions/advice - Kubota/Yanmar/Mahindra

/ Looking for some opinions/advice - Kubota/Yanmar/Mahindra #1  

Teikas Dad

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200
I think I've got it narrowed down to what I'm looking for, but the members on this site are a wealth of information so I'm looking for your input.

I'm planning on buying my first CUT. We currently have a JD 445 with a front end loader and 60" deck. The mower works great, the loader can just about lift itself empty so it's time to go bigger and go with a tractor, loader and backhoe.

I'm looking at either a Kubota B3200 or Yanmar SX3100.

I've read up on the quarter inching valve on the Kubotas but I don't think that will be a problem (the Yanmar uses the position control system for the TPH). The only things I can see using the TPH for would be a rototiller and maybe a brushhog mower. I don't have a need to grade driveways or landscape so I don't think the quarter inching valve will give me any headaches. Thoughts?

The Yanmar is a two speed and the Kubota a three speed. I've read that the Yanmar has enough power that the two speeds are enough. For those who have used a Yanmar, is the two speed good to go?

Is the quick attach on the Kubota the same as a SSQA or is it proprietary for Kubota equipment?

I may get a snowblower at some point in the future. Any benefit to using a front mount versus TPH mount?

I looked at the Kubota 2920 and Mahindras too, the 3016 is a bit big for what I need and the Max28 looks like an oversized lawnmower. I know, the Max28 is supposed to lift buildings by itself, but I really only plan on buying one tractor. I'd rather get what I want the first time then have to trade one in a couple years down the road for what I should have bought in the first place. The 2920 is a nice machine but again, it appears to be a bit on the small side like the Max28.

Any input, suggestions and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

/ Looking for some opinions/advice - Kubota/Yanmar/Mahindra #2  
I can help with the snowblower part.......It's much easier to clear the snow while moving forward, as opossed to looking over your shoulder while working in reverse.

/ Looking for some opinions/advice - Kubota/Yanmar/Mahindra #3  
I think I've got it narrowed down to what I'm looking for, but the members on this site are a wealth of information so I'm looking for your input.

I'm planning on buying my first CUT. We currently have a JD 445 with a front end loader and 60" deck. The mower works great, the loader can just about lift itself empty so it's time to go bigger and go with a tractor, loader and backhoe.

I'm looking at either a Kubota B3200 or Yanmar SX3100.

I've read up on the quarter inching valve on the Kubotas but I don't think that will be a problem (the Yanmar uses the position control system for the TPH). The only things I can see using the TPH for would be a rototiller and maybe a brushhog mower. I don't have a need to grade driveways or landscape so I don't think the quarter inching valve will give me any headaches. Thoughts?
Someone just posted a rotarycutter on a BX with chains, that way they could pick it up on drop it back to the same place. My BX does have position control and I grade with it. Here is the link to the chains, check post 13 and 18.
The Yanmar is a two speed and the Kubota a three speed. I've read that the Yanmar has enough power that the two speeds are enough. For those who have used a Yanmar, is the two speed good to go?
3 speeds are would be better than 2 on a tractor that size I would think, but I have never ran one to say for sure. I know a guy that has a New Holland TC45, it is a 2 speed. He hates it. The low range is too slow and high range does not have any power.
Is the quick attach on the Kubota the same as a SSQA or is it proprietary for Kubota equipment?
They B3200 does not have a SSQA, it is a easier to attach pin on from my understanding. You can buy a conversion to make it SSQA.
I may get a snowblower at some point in the future. Any benefit to using a front mount versus TPH mount?
The main advantage to a front mount blower is you don't have to turn around, so your neck will not hurt. The main disavantages to a front mount are they cost more than a rear mount and are specific to that tractor.
I looked at the Kubota 2920 and Mahindras too, the 3016 is a bit big for what I need and the Max28 looks like an oversized lawnmower. I know, the Max28 is supposed to lift buildings by itself, but I really only plan on buying one tractor. I'd rather get what I want the first time then have to trade one in a couple years down the road for what I should have bought in the first place. The 2920 is a nice machine but again, it appears to be a bit on the small side like the Max28.

Any input, suggestions and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
If you are thinking about a Blower have you thought about a B3000 with a cab? You could also get a MMM and mow your grass with the tractor. What kind of tires are you considering? I recommend fluid in the tires too. You may want to get a rear work light and have a couple of hooks welded on the bucket.

/ Looking for some opinions/advice - Kubota/Yanmar/Mahindra
I'm going with R4 tires for the TLB. The snowblower is just a "thinking about" thing right now. First attachment will be a rototiller, second a brush hog and then if funding permits down the road, maybe the snowblower.

I thought about a B3000 with a cab, but I'm locking the budget in around $24 to $28k and from what I've learned the cab adds a few thousand extra. I want to pay cash for the whole thing so that's why I'm sweating the small stuff. I plow with my Yamaha Rhino now and that has a closed cab for the winter....just thinking about more toys, that's all!

I saw another article about someone using chains to keep their TPH at a set level with the quarter inch valve, that's what got me worried. Or, is it just that most don't know how to properly adjust the quarter inching valve? I saw another thread where someone really went into detail explaining it and the adjustments. The other posters all agreed that they didn't get that info from their dealer when they bought the tractor.

/ Looking for some opinions/advice - Kubota/Yanmar/Mahindra #5  
I'm going with R4 tires for the TLB. The snowblower is just a "thinking about" thing right now. First attachment will be a rototiller, second a brush hog and then if funding permits down the road, maybe the snowblower.

I thought about a B3000 with a cab, but I'm locking the budget in around $24 to $28k and from what I've learned the cab adds a few thousand extra. I want to pay cash for the whole thing so that's why I'm sweating the small stuff. I plow with my Yamaha Rhino now and that has a closed cab for the winter....just thinking about more toys, that's all!

I saw another article about someone using chains to keep their TPH at a set level with the quarter inch valve, that's what got me worried. Or, is it just that most don't know how to properly adjust the quarter inching valve? I saw another thread where someone really went into detail explaining it and the adjustments. The other posters all agreed that they didn't get that info from their dealer when they bought the tractor.
I think you may have been reading this thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/215499-long-48-brush-hog-bx25-2.html .

I don't believe the BX series has a quarter inching valve. Just basically an up or down, and you can stop it by hand anywhere in between. He used the chains so he could get to the exact same spot everytime.

But you were interested in getting a CUT size tractor, that is larger than the BX series which is a SUBCUT. Kubotas CUT size tractors all have quarter inching, or position control, I believe.

/ Looking for some opinions/advice - Kubota/Yanmar/Mahindra #6  
A B3000 with a R4's, loader, 54'' bucket, a back hoe and a 12" bucket is $35602 on Kubota's site. 12% off would be 31,328, 15% off would be $30260 plus a kubota has a $1000 cash rebate so you would be 29260 before tax.

That guy has chains on the 3PH so he can pick it up and drop at the same spot easily.

/ Looking for some opinions/advice - Kubota/Yanmar/Mahindra #7  
Look at the resale value on both... THAT will probably
be your deciding factor.

/ Looking for some opinions/advice - Kubota/Yanmar/Mahindra #8  

For me, a rototiller behind the tractor isn't a must. But i just do a 3000 sq/ft garden. I have to rototill in between my rows. do this with a walk behind. A tractor mounted one wouldn't be practical. i assume you have big areas you will be rototilling.

Snowblower?You are clearing your drive with a UTE and a plow. i would lean towards a FEL mounted quick switch plow.

Cabs can be a pain around trees and line fences. Nice in the winter.

/ Looking for some opinions/advice - Kubota/Yanmar/Mahindra #9  
For me, a rototiller behind the tractor isn't a must. But i just do a 3000 sq/ft garden. I have to rototill in between my rows. do this with a walk behind. A tractor mounted one wouldn't be practical. i assume you have big areas you will be rototilling.

Snowblower?You are clearing your drive with a UTE and a plow. i would lean towards a FEL mounted quick switch plow.

Cabs can be a pain around trees and line fences. Nice in the winter.

I used to use a cultivator like this one but now I just have raised garden beds.

/ Looking for some opinions/advice - Kubota/Yanmar/Mahindra #10  
The Kubota 2920, Max 28, and JD 2000 series are pretty much beefed up lawn tractors when comparing to the L series etc. With that said that is what they are designed to be. I use my tractor mostly for cutting grass. The loader, tiller and other implements are a plus that makes my life much easier. If you plan to do a lot of real work, go bigger. If you mostly mow and want the convenience of having other options then these are great. I cleaned the yard after the hurricane with a 2516 and it moved lots of large limbs etc. so it does everything I need done. If I had to do something like that every day then a larger tractor would be what I needed. As far as the 2 speed vs 3 speed goes the only tractor I tried that seemed to have an issue is the JD 2320. It seemed sluggish when mowing in High. The 2520 and M2516 was much better. I mow 7 acres with a 2516 (60" finishing mower) and have no issues in high. They are all great little tractors if you need a little tractor. If you plan on working them real hard every day, go bigger.