Help...Newbie..Contemplating purchase of used Ford

/ Help...Newbie..Contemplating purchase of used Ford #1  

frankv

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 5525, Century 3045, Farmall A
Hi,

I've lurked and read as much as I could this weekend. Looks like alot of discussion about people buying new with a little bit on the older Fords.

I have an old Bolens HT20 with johnson loader and tiller and want something with a faster/stronger loader. I'ld also like something a little heavier/larger to move snow in my area as the Bolens is many times outgunned by the snow. I don't need my tractor to cut grass as I've got a nice toro Z-turn mower.

I am somewhat mechanically inclined so not afraid of the basic engine repairs.

OK so I've looked at a Ford 2000 with a ford 730 loader on it(2800 hours). 3 cyl diesel. The owner did not know the year. Says around 71. The guy wants $6500 and won't budge. He claims it's in great shape mechanically and this is why he won't budge, he claims I won't find one in nicer shape (good salesman...but I don't know if he's bullshitting or not). I drove it and it seems to run fine. Started right up on first crank. (Winter starting would be a concern for me) No leaks that I could see visibly. Loader seemed very strong and was much faster than what I am used to. I don't know how to really evaluate these tractors though. I lifted the 3 pt hitch, but need to go back and spin up the PTO. He claims some Fords have problems with the PTO not stopping and this one is perfect.

I also am looking at a ford 4000 diesel with 3300 hours on it tonight. No loader. Was used to hay fields and prior to that pull small airplanes at Hanscom air force base. He's asking $4500 but is flexible. I priced up a new loader at Chappell tractor (Sales guy not very helpful over the phone, but the parts guy way very helpful) and they quoted between $5k and $6k with hydraulics. Seems like this one may not be worth the extra expense of adding a loader unless I can find a used loader that in good condition and comparable to the Ford 730 on the Ford 2000.

Any advice or suggestion..please? I'ld really like to get something soon as I have some stone to move around to raise an area for a greenhouse soon. And if this tractor is that good a deal I don't want to loose it.

I don't really want to spend the $13-$18k for a new one although a smaller compact would do me fine. I don't seem to see many on the used market for around the price of these fords?

Thanks!
Frank

/ Help...Newbie..Contemplating purchase of used Ford #2  
Hey Frank - welcome! No answers yet, so I thought I'd prime the pump.

Older tractors can mean a lot of beef for the buck, just like older trucks. You have to find your personal comfort level between working on your equipment and just using it. Are tractors something you are interested in enough to weather breakdowns with good humor? I'm more that way with the tractor and truck than our everyday driver, so we have a 2002 Caravan that I never lift the hood one and take to the dealer for oil changes. Not so with most of the other stuff.

My unexperienced impression is that the 2000 is generally a nice tractor. I was looking at tractors around that age and hours before I found the '79 Ford, and I was seeing $4000-5000 without a loader. Maybe a more knowledgable member will tune my opinion one way or another, but if the 2000 is in good shape, and with the loader, it isn't too far out of line - good maintenence and condition is worth something to me. We paid $6500 for ours with a little brush cutter included. It was owned by a truck mechanic who made regular improvements over his ownership of it - seals, hoses, steering, tires, etc.. I felt good about the maintenence.

Maybe this isn't the sage advice you were looking for, but what you are saying makes sense to me. Here's a pic of a deisel 71 Ford 2000 from Yesterday's Tractors:

a1212.jpg

/ Help...Newbie..Contemplating purchase of used Ford #3  
Here's mine, Frank.

Attachments

• 284384-79 Ford 1700.jpg
    284384-79 Ford 1700.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 211
   / Help...Newbie..Contemplating purchase of used Ford
Well guys I have to say both of your tractor look better than the 2000 with the loader. I took a second look at it after work today. Drove it a little harder. Paint is in rough shape, but that I don't mind so much. But it's leaking oil somewhere on the left side and it drips down on the exhaust (exhaust goes down under axle, I think I would need to convert this for garden/snow work ??).

Other than that it started on a dime and is very strong. Dunno might hold out a little longer...Webster Machinery also has one that looks nicer via the web pictures, but I'ld need to have it shipped up here...

Gonna go look at the 4000 now, but looks like it will cost a fortune to get a loader for it. Also found a 1710 with loader at Chappell's I'm gonna look at tomorrow after work...$6,900.

Thanks!

/ Help...Newbie..Contemplating purchase of used Ford #5  
Frank

I notice you're also in the NH forums - I replied down there to your most recent post up here /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.