Buying Advice Is the Kubota HST+ really a plus?

/ Is the Kubota HST+ really a plus? #31  
I don't think you'll find anyone that says the HST+ isn't better, but if you have a limited budget for the tractor and implements, you'll have to decide what's it worth to you depending on your tasks.
I know I couldn't justify spending the extra cash for it as it would've left my implement budget at zero... A HST+ tractor with just a FEL can do some things very well, but a HST tractor and the price difference in used implements will do alot more things much better. If you are totally new to CUT tractors, start pricing implements too, I was surprised how expensive even used ones can be. Different buckets, mowers, blades, and things like a logging winch, make certain jobs much more fun and productive.
I know I'd rather have a grapple bucket and logging winch than an HST+, but you may have alot of work where the HST+ really shines and its worth it for you, try to figure out what you are going to do and buy features/implements accordingly.

That's one way to look at it or you can look at it like this. You can't add HST+ after you've bought your tractor. However at any point in time you can buy an attachment. But clearly Kubota's GL line is aimed toward the buyer who has a little extra cash to spend.

/ Is the Kubota HST+ really a plus? #32  
Wow, I have HST, now all you guys got me wishing I could get it "+" sized!!!!! I can see how it would be super handy for so much of what I do.

/ Is the Kubota HST+ really a plus? #33  
Same here, Is HST+ a class leading useful suite of features? You bet it is. Do I own one? Sadly no. I just could not justify about $6000 extra money for a comparable equipped GL over my DK. My HST works very well, it just does not have some of those unique features. It all boils down to each individual deciding which features they want in a tractor and implements and choosing accordingly.

James K0UA

/ Is the Kubota HST+ really a plus? #34  
Those of us with HST+ are not knocking other transmissions or saying it is a "must have", just answering the OP's questions:

The HST+ on the GrandL 40 series seems like a really nice feature and pretty unique to Kubota.

"BUT... is it actually useful or is it just good ideas and hype?

Dual speed - use it or just leave it at one speed?
HST Response Control - do you use different settings for different tasks or just set it and forget it?
Three modes (regular/stall-guard/auto HDS) - switch between them for different tasks or not?"

/ Is the Kubota HST+ really a plus? #35  
IndyIan said:
I don't think you'll find anyone that says the HST+ isn't better, but if you have a limited budget for the tractor and implements, you'll have to decide what's it worth to you depending on your tasks.
I know I couldn't justify spending the extra cash for it as it would've left my implement budget at zero... A HST+ tractor with just a FEL can do some things very well, but a HST tractor and the price difference in used implements will do alot more things much better. If you are totally new to CUT tractors, start pricing implements too, I was surprised how expensive even used ones can be. Different buckets, mowers, blades, and things like a logging winch, make certain jobs much more fun and productive.
I know I'd rather have a grapple bucket and logging winch than an HST+, but you may have alot of work where the HST+ really shines and its worth it for you, try to figure out what you are going to do and buy features/implements accordingly.

Exactly. In my case I exchanged HST+ and 5hp for a set of forks, boxblade, AND a backhoe. It was a very good trade. As great as it is, it will not keep you from doing ANYTHING you can do with a standard HST.

/ Is the Kubota HST+ really a plus? #36  
Those of us with HST+ are not knocking other transmissions or saying it is a "must have", just answering the OP's questions:

The HST+ on the GrandL 40 series seems like a really nice feature and pretty unique to Kubota.

HST Response Control - do you use different settings for different tasks or just set it and forget it?
Three modes (regular/stall-guard/auto HDS) - switch between them for different tasks or not?"

Good point Triple R, it seems with every thread that after a few pages they all get watered down and loose sight of the original questions.

/ Is the Kubota HST+ really a plus? #37  

Good point Triple R, it seems with every thread that after a few pages they all get watered down and loose sight of the original questions.