Manufacturer's Cab Interior Dimensions - Where To FInd Them?

/ Manufacturer's Cab Interior Dimensions - Where To FInd Them? #1  

Haoleguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5325; Landini Mistral 50
While on a trip in upstate NY I had the opportunity to checkout 2 JD narrow tractors. One was a new 2012/3 5093EN and one older 2008 5525N and both were fitted with cabs. What I found was that both of these cabs are tight inside from front to back and floor to ceiling. That caused me to look for interior cab dimensions, like auto manufacturers provide, for comparison shopping but I have not been able to find them online. I assume manufacturers have these dimensions but can these be found online? My other options are to contact the manufacturers and ask for dimensions and/or owners in my region to visit. One other thing I noticed was that the newer JD 5093EN with a tier IV motor has a much taller hood that reduces the forward vision...I was surprised.......Thank you, Gary

/ Manufacturer's Cab Interior Dimensions - Where To FInd Them? #2  
I see no one has taken this question on so my suggestion is to sit in the seat to see how you like the various tractors. In the end (pun intended) that is what will matter anyway. Don't know but the narrow tractors might have a smaller cab, one of the advantages of the smaller cabs I have found is it is easier to see the ground close to the tractor due to a steeper sight line.

/ Manufacturer's Cab Interior Dimensions - Where To FInd Them?
I see no one has taken this question on so my suggestion is to sit in the seat to see how you like the various tractors. In the end (pun intended) that is what will matter anyway. Don't know but the narrow tractors might have a smaller cab, one of the advantages of the smaller cabs I have found is it is easier to see the ground close to the tractor due to a steeper sight line.

Thanks Steve. I agree with your statement, however, if tractor companies move to tier IV they will probably be like Deere and increase the hood height which diminishes forward view. At the moment I'm in Ontario and I have come across a NH dealer with a narrow tractor and will probably stop by there today. To see others I will contact local dealers to see if they can pull out customers in the region that I can visit. I suspect that may not get any "local" visits. My chances are better in PA and NY and I'm willing to make those trips as narrow cab tractors are pretty pricey. I do know of one dealer in PA who has a narrow cab Kubota and a Landini for sale. Thanks again for your thoughts....Gary

/ Manufacturer's Cab Interior Dimensions - Where To FInd Them? #4  
I just spoke with a guy that bought a name brand cab for his tractor. He was not that impressed with the interior space and quality for the five grand spent. This got me to thinking as I want to fabricate a cab for my snow blower tractor. I plan to make it high enough to enclose the rops and wide enough ... maybe a touch more, to cover the width of the tires. Some slant the sides at the base to get more elbow room which is also a possibility. It comes down to how much room you need to be comfortable and not obstruct any three point attachments / fel ect. The good part about a self build is I can mock up in wood and plastic which will give me the general feel of unrestricted space. I really enjoy the learning curve with metal fabrication and figuring the lightest combination while taking strength into consideration. Movable doors and windows also an impact unless one completly removes it for the summer months. I have not considered air conditioning but heat, stereo, and lights are necessary.
John Deere make some beautiful enclosures which are not available for all models and I assume very expensive.
Unfortunately the only cab experience I have so far is the Kubota RTV 1100. It has all the toys and very comfortable. I don't believe I can match their quality but the trip is always more exciting than the destination.

Through friends and friends of friends over the past week I have found narrow cab tractors to try out. I have found that New Holland TN95FA, Landini Rex 100F, and McCormick F100XL have much better cab room than JDs I tried last week. The Landini/McCormick line have cab access from both sides of tractor and have front windshield venting. Also shoehorned myself into an Antonio Carraro SRX8400. The AC is an interesting tractor with neat features but the cab is tight in every direction for me. Will try to find a Kubota narrow locally to compare. Still I have not found any published interior cab dimensions.......Gary

/ Manufacturer's Cab Interior Dimensions - Where To FInd Them? #6  
Cabs pretty much have to fit inside the fenders as that is where they are support from the tractors axles. I dont think I have ever seen a narrow tractor but assumed they are for vineyards or orchards. The narrower the tire spacing is, the more confined the cab is going to be. I think some of the old Fords back in the 70's had a flare in the cab that angled out kind of over the fenders but not outside them to get more shoulder room but the floor space was still cramped a bit.

Gary - It's not the side to side dimensions I'm having difficulty with it's the front to back and seat to ceiling. The cabs appear to cheat rear sliding of the seat by 2-4 inches under open station which means it's really dependent on manufacturers front to aft spacing. The seat to ceiling is dependent on manufacturers cab height and AC air handling overhead locations and thickness. Most European manufacturers(Landini/McCormick, Deutz-Fahr, Antonio Carraro, & Fendt) offer very narrow(4ft width) "vineyard" to wider(5ft 2in) "orchard" tractors. I'm looking for and at ~ 4 1/2 ft size category. I did come across a McCormick F100 gem but had to pass on it as it is the XL version at 5ft 2in wide....too wide for my 7 ft row widths.....Cheers, Gary