Grapple 'Bucket vs. Grapple 'Rake"

/ Grapple 'Bucket vs. Grapple 'Rake" #1  

chopped

Veteran Member
Hi I was loing at these two attachments and trying to weigh out which is better for my needs,I was wondering if anyone had had use of one and would like to comment.My use is basically, instead of buying a chipper, I could have one of these for less money and maint. I have a spot to put the brush to rot naturally, so it seems like a good fit.
I like the bucket as it has more of a bed to it.(considering other uses). But the rake opens wider in the Jaws.
I think it would come in real handy to hold logs as I cut them to rounds.In which case I might not neet a wide one. I have a 60 inch bucket now, but these also come in 48 inch. So im also considering the 48 inch one for the use id give it.
Any thoughts or comments are surely welcome thanks.

the bucket.
60" LW Root Grapple Bucket $1095.00 | Grapple Bucket Attachments | 60" LW Grapple Bucket | palletforks.com

the rake
60" Root Grapple Rake $1375.00 | Grapple Bucket Attachments | 60" Grapple Rake | palletforks.com

/ Grapple 'Bucket vs. Grapple 'Rake" #2  
Chopped, I was about to post a very similar question. I'm looking at purchasing a "brush grapple" right now. (Although the terminology where I've been looking is different, everything labeled "bucket" is a solid bottomed bucket, albeit without "sides"), but so far, my research is pointing out that there is a BIG difference in weight between some of these grapple set-ups, as much as 200+ lbs, or about a 50% weight increase. So with 450 versus 650 lbs, (on two I've been thinking about), I think that'll be a big impact on my decision. On the other side, I see a lot of difference in "strength" between them if you are going to use it as a "rake". Right now, I'm willing to give up some "strength" to have the abilty to move more logs and brush and use it less as a "root rake" so I'm leaning towards the "lighter" setup. I will be watching your thread to see what the "experts" on here recommend.

/ Grapple 'Bucket vs. Grapple 'Rake" #3  
Went through the same delimma a couple years ago, cutting dead Ash trees, the brush was piling up so bad one couldn't move around in the woods. I had used the grapple rake type and while it worked good, small stuff fell through the bars while moving a load and branches were forever poking back at the machine causing the brush to become stuck in the rake. In & out of the loader quite often to remove debris.

Ended up getting the Bobcat industrial grapple bucket, solid back and bottom. Hangers are few an far between, I can also do dirtwork if needed while in the woods without changing attachments. I did add teeth to the bucket so I can rake with it.

As you can see in the pic, there was quite a bit of brush to move.

Ed

Attachments

• bobcat1.JPG
    bobcat1.JPG
    283.8 KB · Views: 1,375
  • brush.JPG
    brush.JPG
    283.5 KB · Views: 425
   / Grapple 'Bucket vs. Grapple 'Rake" #4  
What size tractor do you have? Is weight an issue? For me, I looked at several and decided on a CA 72" root grapple. I wanted to leave the dirt on the ground and clear everything else. So far, I have not had any lifting issues with my tractor but you do know its there as compared to a regular bucket. I can clear an area and pick up as much as the grapple will hold and put it where I want it.

/ Grapple 'Bucket vs. Grapple 'Rake" #5  
I went with the Split top grapple rake by worksaver - Worksaver Split Grapple for Skid Steer and Front Loader
I've pulled very large rocks from the ground as well as move a number of logs, stumps, branches into piles with it. I've recently cut a number of fields I've never been on before and used the grapple to slide on the ground to help flush out objects that would have hurt the brush hog. I looked at all models out there and finally decided on this one due to the heavy duty build and the split top allowing you to grab odd shaped items. photo14.jpgphoto17.jpgphoto12.jpg

/ Grapple 'Bucket vs. Grapple 'Rake" #8  
yes...........Wildcat, Gator/Markham.