Ford 1920 comparables

/ Ford 1920 comparables #1  

cmcgalla

Tractor
1956 Minn. Moline 445
Howdy! What a great place TBN is! I have been reading some of the posts and they are great. I have learned much! I need a new tractor for the farm, we rasie dairy goats and getting Dexters in the spring. I will be moving round bales (800-1200 lbs.) a short distance for the goats and cows, brush hogging a little here and there, getting firewood, moving dirt and other stuff. I will use the back blade for the driveway in the winter. I am also not opposed to using the 3 pt. hitch with a spike for the hay, so as to limit the stress on the axles. I am not a total novice, but many of you have WAY more knowledge than me.

I like the size of the Ford 1920, looks like a good size that I can squeeze in the barn if needed, but big enough to handle a round bail, I think. My question is what other tractors are of similar size. Better yet what is the smallest tractor I can buy that can handle those bales? Seems that a B series Kubota would be great, but when you thrown in 1000 pound hay bale seems like the game changes and people want me to get an M series!

I considered a Yanmar 330D, but was concerned about stress on the front axles.

I am dead seat on: USED, diesel, 4wd, FEL as far as transmission I am not big fan of HST, but not a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance
Zeek

/ Ford 1920 comparables #2  
I have a 1920 which I bought new in 1988! Only put on less than a 100 hours a year. Good reliable,trouble free tractor. Only problem, which is characteristic of that era, is rust out of rear fenders and rims; had to have them replaced after 15-18 years, tractors should last longer than that!

Also had to replace the starter this year; certain years had different starters at various prices, NH dealer for mine was $900. You would be wise to either have a local starter shop available or check the starter model no. a head of time.

/ Ford 1920 comparables
I have a great shop down the road, they took care of my Minn. Moline starter no problem! How much will the 1920 FEL lift?

/ Ford 1920 comparables #4  
CMC
The 1920 is a great series of tractor,what type of land do you farm? If its fairly flat, and the rounds are only going a short distance they an be pulled vs.being lifted, also consider a 3pt carrier, the rear 3pt has more capacity and is more stable than the front especially when it comes to rounds,

Just a thought
From CT

/ Ford 1920 comparables #5  
Zeek,

The 1920 I had would not lift full sizes round bales with the 3PH. Doubt if the fel would lift them either. Also, when researching lift capacity, note where their rated load position is compared to where the center of gravity is on a large bale. The manual also gave maximum axle capacities.

John

/ Ford 1920 comparables #6  
My old man started with a 1955 Fordson, Dagenham made, then in the 60` Dexta, 3000, 4000, 70`: 4600,4610.And 1700,1900 and at last a 1920. Only Ford left is 1920. The other is now Masseys.
As mentioned abowe only 1920 problem is rust. Rear fender and wheel rim. Hydraulic capabel to handle a baile packer. Not so sure about lifting it for transport home.
The old man like the tractor so much he`s not in the mood selling it to me!
This tractor is hard to get over here. Just follow : FINN Næringsmarked

/ Ford 1920 comparables #7  
I would look at one size bigger and go with either the 2120 or newer TC 55 in New Holland...
I am not familiar enough with either Deere or Massey in those sizes of tractors in that year model...

/ Ford 1920 comparables #8  
I will be moving round bales (800-1200 lbs.) a short distance for the goats and cows, brush hogging a little here and there, getting firewood, moving dirt and other stuff. I will use the back blade for the driveway in the winter. I am also not opposed to using the 3 pt. hitch with a spike for the hay, so as to limit the stress on the axles.

. . .My question is what other tractors are of similar size. Better yet what is the smallest tractor I can buy that can handle those bales?

Zeek the New Holland TC55DA with it's loader would be ideal as indicated by Turby's_1700. You'd also find the TC40DA and TC45DA to be very capable for handling round bales and all the other chores you've listed. The TC40DA and TC45DA would also be good choices if you'd consider an HST transmission. They can be had with loader for around $15k with low hours. They'll give you ease of maneuverability and also the ability to lift those round bales with the loader, 3PH, or both. Of course the TC55DA can also do those things, but it is bigger and does not come with HST. If you want to only use the 3PH to move bales and want the absolute smallest tractor, look at a late model TC34DA with the 14LA loader or similar. This is a size smaller than the TC40/45DA, but can handle round bales on the 3PH and smaller rounds on the FEL. Since you are asking about the "smallest" tractor, I have to include that model. It will meet your needs, but you won't have the margin of extra power you'd have on the larger tractors. Parts support at the NH dealer should not be a problem with any of these machines. I'd caution you to stay away from the lastest Boomer models at the dealer because they are made by LS and have had some issues. Of course, there are many other brands that will do your jobs for you, but I know most about New Hollands and feel most comfortable giving you advice regarding them.

/ Ford 1920 comparables
WOW. thanks guys great and helpful responses, will have to do some more looking. I will also keep looking though the MANY posts on TBN, easy to burn a few hours on here! I found this tractor and it seems like it will have no problem with the bales, any advice it: 485 4x4 International Tractor

/ Ford 1920 comparables
not moving the bales very far, about 300 feet for the longest run over a gentle slope. I was consider making a round bale trailer to hitch up and pull with.