What to buy?

/ What to buy? #1  

Calveryc

Tractor
Yanmar 135
I just bought 14 flat acres and I need a tractor for bushhogging, and tilling for planting food plots. I only have about $5000.00 to spend on something that will get the job done and is reliable. I was looking at a used yanmar 135 in the lime green which I really like, but I'm afraid it will not be enough tractor. Any suggestions on some used tractors that I should look at? What years and brands should I focus? Thanks for any advice.

/ What to buy? #2  
   / What to buy? #3  
I'm confused... your sidebar says you have a Yanmar 135 yet you are "looking at a Yanmar 135?" How many hp is that tractor?

You are in the same situation as many others....looking for a reliable used tractor and at the low end of the $ range.

I can only suggest you see what is the best thing you can find, then post in the appropriate forum a specific question regarding that model and whatever repairs you already know it will need. That will perhaps give you more info to assist in a purchase decision.

If you are mechanically experienced, it will help a lot in evaluating the used tractors in your area. Try Craig's List... at least you can usually visit the current tractor owner and understand why they are getting rid of that tractor and how it has been maintained.

Good luck!! and :welcome:

/ What to buy? #4  
Just a thought. I, myself would never purchase a used farm tractor, without checking the machine out before hand. Steering, transmission, 3-point hitch, frame, wiring, tires, hydraulics. overall condition; etc. are a few of the things to look at. Ask the owner if he has a rotary mower or another piece of equipment that you can use with the tractor to check the performance. BTW, if you do buy a tractor, ask the seller if he has the Operator's Manual for the tractor. Best wishes.

/ What to buy?
Yeah when I was registering it was making me choose a tractor I owned so I put that in there since I was looking at one.

/ What to buy? #6  
Go with a 35 or 135 MF or a 2000 Ford or 1020 JD and a new 6 ft roto tiller and a new broadcast seeder. That is doable for under 5K. Ken Sweet

/ What to buy? #7  
My advise would be to get a feel for your new property and needs before buying. Do you need a 'front end loader' (FEL)? I couldn't be without one. How much are you mowing? For rotary mowing, Bush hogging, the rule of thumb is 5 PTO HP per foot of mower. Are you mechanical and can fix most everything on a used tractor? I am not so I went with a bigger budget and bought newer.

Congratulations on the new property.

MarkV

/ What to buy? #8  
The Yanmar 135 ain't gonna work for you.............way too small.

Look at the older Fords, parts are plentiful, and the tractors are reasonably priced. With flat ground you can use a 2WD, that will save you a bundle.

/ What to buy? #9  
Hey! Congratulations on your new land! We'd all love to see some pictures.

Half the fun of property and toys is having just what you enjoy. So if you like the Yanmar I'll start there. I assume you mean the YM135D, sometimes called the YM135d - which is the 4WD version of that tractor. The YM135 (without the "D or d") was/is a 2WD machine just as durable, but mostly useful on very flat land for mowing or for rototilling....but not for traction work like blading, or plowing or pulling. There weren't many of the 2wd version sold. A tractor that small really needs to be 4WD.

The YM135D is a jewel with legendary durability - especially when coupled with the matching loader. That was the most common configuration for good reason. Take a look at the Yanmar Specific group here on TBN and you'll be surprised at the number of active helpful members. Like all of the older tractors that have stood the test of time, it will do some honest work for you and should be worth whatever you have in it for many years yet.

That said, the YM135d is just too small to be the only tractor on more than an acre or two. It just right coupled with the factory loader and used as a "chore tractor" around the acre that has the house and barn....and will get you by on non-tillage 3 pt work for a year or two while you get to know your land. I know this because I have the YM165 version (essentially the same machine) and have for many decades. It has built a foundation, pond, and several other projects - but it took forever. Changing to turf tires to widen the stance helped the stability - always a problem on small compact tractors.

My suggestion is to find someone that you trust and plan to spend a few weekends looking at tractors. Don't be shy to take a few home and use them. It won't hurt a good tractor to do so. An honest assessment of your own mechanical inclination is probably very important at this point. And of course every time you look at a tractor take some pictures and run it past the group here. That will help you with the decision and we will enjoy it too.

Some hints: Don't go out there expecting to find a great dollar "deal". Look for quality instead. Unlike in the markets for autos, trucks, land, or most tools.....tractor prices are exasperatingly solid. Accept it; it will eventually work in your favor.
Don't be afraid of an old and well cared for tractor. BTW, good tractors live under cover of some sort; never out in the open. Tractors wear slowly and change slowly too. The only large improvements I've seen since the late 1960s are that more small tractors have hydrostatic transmission and power steering. But the older geared tractors are still with us and doing fine. And manual steering won't hurt you.

Checking out a used tractor: Take it home for a week and see how it does. If you can, drive it home even if it takes an hour. Oddly enough, much of the needed maintenance on a tractor shows up more obviously when roading it at 12 mph than when working.

Bottom line: if the YM135 is 4wd, in very good condition, and it has a loader then you might as well give it a try. You already like it and it is a popular smallish tractor. It will do some work, and in the process you will learn. If it doesn't have 4wd, good condition, and a well-matched front end loader you should go directly to the 20 to 40 hp range of tractors more suitable for 14 acres. Be wary of older 2wd US farm tractors with loaders that are too large - that makes for poor traction and difficult steering. Whatever you do, be SURE to get a tractor that has a standard three point hitch and a drawbar! Definitely no deviations from that are allowed!!

Most of all, have fun with the search.
rScotty