Buying Advice Looking for tractor suggestions to maintain my new property

/ Looking for tractor suggestions to maintain my new property #11  

I did not know you could get parts for them through MF. I knew there were places selling some restoration parts for them and you could probably get some basic stuff at NAPA like tune up parts.

/ Looking for tractor suggestions to maintain my new property #12  
AGCO absorbed a lot of old lines over time.

/ Looking for tractor suggestions to maintain my new property #13  
Welcome to TBN--join the fun:)

No doubt that D17 would work for you, IF it's in good operating condition. I'd buy it for the price you mentioned, but my hobby is restoring old tractors so I don't mind doing a lot of wrenching on the old iron I buy. If you're relying that old D17 to work hard every day, I'd check it out thoroughly before buying. You don't want to overlook expensive problems (engine, tranny, hydraulics)--it's helpful to have advice from someone who knows tractors before you buy. You can find these guys working in the service bays at local tractor dealers. Or maybe one of your neighbors could help you out here. For a few bucks and/or 6-packs you can get peace of mind from one of these guys.

Good luck.

/ Looking for tractor suggestions to maintain my new property #14  
low budget? no steep slopes?

get a nice ford 800/801 series.. preferably a 5 speed model.. evem ore preferably the live clutch 86* model.. and power steering. alternately.. the 4 cyl 4000 would be similar.

or even the rowcrop narrow front or wide front version.

plenty of pnies to tote a 6' mower.. etc.

that will keep you in the 2000-3500$ range usually.

easy to mantain.. lots of hp ( 45ish pto hp depending on model )

/ Looking for tractor suggestions to maintain my new property #15  
The gas 800 series 5 speed with the two stage clutch (live PTO) is about as sweet as it gets for a tractor to have around the place. OEM they when blue in color the last two years of production (63-64). A 1965 up 3000 Ford with 8 speed transmission has live PTO but would cost a bit or two more.

/ Looking for tractor suggestions to maintain my new property
Thanks, everyone for the welcome. Thanks, also for all the feedback.

Pappasmurf, I definitely understand your point about getting a new machine. And perhaps in the end I'll wish I'd done that. Although as Gale said, by just spending a few thousand I can hopefully figure out what I really need and not lose much.

Thanks Gale, too, for the list of suppliers for parts. I'll have to look through those.

I had thought of some of the larger Fords, I'll take a closer look at some of those.

I've got a month before we move, and my wife said I can't park it at our current place, so I'll keep an eye open and see what pops up.

Thanks again!

Scott

/ Looking for tractor suggestions to maintain my new property #17  
hard to counter the aprts support on a ford 55-64 model.

very hard working machines.. and easy to work on.. and cheap budget...

/ Looking for tractor suggestions to maintain my new property #18  
Locally the prices of old iron has tumbled so not being in a rush is OK.

What is still hot and high are tractors found at estate sales or owners 90 years old that bought them new and they have always slept under a roof. Just saw a 3000 Ford for $5900 and he will get it. He is a trader that bought it off of his neighbor for himself. He showed me the tractor last year and said he would not sell it until his neighbor past because that was the understanding when the deal was done. It is as much of a tractor as most any new tractor in that HP/weight range. Many lawn mowers sell for that today. :)

/ Looking for tractor suggestions to maintain my new property #19  
Congratulations on your new place.

Yes, I believe you are moving in the right direction. If your available money is limited, it will buy more in a tractor that is a little too large than one of the popular CUTs right now. I've tried both routes and ended up with several of each style....that was originally due to poverty, but eventually as much out of tractor curiosity as for any other reason. Lots of excellent old US-made tractors are selling right now for what is barely more than scrap value. Many have matching implements for similar good values. Those things were built to last! Real American Art. There are lots of good ones out there, and the farmers that have them tend to consider hauling machinery around as just part of a day's work. Do keep in mind the mechanical philosophy of the time does affect the older machines. Fifty years ago, tractors were surprisingly modern in features and rather astonishingly dependable overall, but they were also designed for more owner tinkering and adjusting than is popular today. To enjoy one, your mindset should be able to turn in that direction. I will say that in these old tractors I very much prefer and recommend one having a worn gasoline engine over the diesel versions.

Our old JD530 is a typical example:That gas tractor is over 50 years old and cost us only a little more than a riding lawn mower ($2000) - mostly because it had newish back tires! When we found it, it was being used as a stationary water pump in a farmer's field. But he unhooked it, put it in gear, and it drove right off. It came with power steering, a massive three point hitch, hydraulic power in every direction, the original tools and manual, and a comfortable sprung and damped operator's platform sorely needing upholstery. When we got it that tractor it needed adjustment, lubrication, and attention in every single system.....but no real $$ repairs. Everything still worked, and in fact it still does. I'd wanted one with a front loader, but found we couldn't afford it. It turns out that many old tractors used something called a 3pt bucket....now few people use them but they still work fine. Not as handy as a front loader, but for a few hundred dollars ours would lift and carry a ton of anything. A tractor that size will run just about any normal implement - and implements are everywhere. Eventually we found an old factory loader in a field and bought it on the spot for almost zero dollars. Not surprisingly, the market in old factory loaders for full-sized tractors is similarly depressed. They only fit a big old heavy tractor and really won't fit anything else.

BTW, if you need to reduce the impact of the heavy tractor on your soil there are quite a variety of less-aggressive and wider tires available today. And to my surprise there was even an active local market in used tractor tires. Tractor tires last decades. Old tractors have traction to spare anyway.

I know more that might be helpful about old tractors in general, but don't know much about the AC D17 in particular. That model spanned some years. Can you post some pictures and give some specific info? Pay attention to the rubber, engine/transmission, 3 pt hitch, and of course the hour meter and instruments.
good luck,
rScotty

/ Looking for tractor suggestions to maintain my new property #20  
rScotty,
Good post and right on the mark. The old iron never did have an issue with pulling or brute strength. Most were made to last almost indefinately it seems, so there are quite a few to choose from too. Lots of small farms were powered by these tractors and made the difference in food production for many years after the soldiers returned from WW2. The tractors for the most part were much better made than the automobiles of that era imo.