Buying Advice Looking for tractor suggestions to maintain my new property

/ Looking for tractor suggestions to maintain my new property #1  

applescotty

Tractor
None
We're finally moving from the city out in to the country in a month, and I just don't think my push mower and snow shovel are going to cut it. :)
I'd love to get some input from those of you with some experience.

First off, the property. An image is attached. The property boundaries are marked in red. It's not quite 18 acres. A little bit of the area is wooded, and there is a small pond. There are a couple of acres around the house that I'll mow with a riding mower (eventually a ZTR, when I can afford one). The other areas I'll need to maintain (outlined in blue, orange, green, and yellow) total about 15 acres. I may eventually use these areas as pasture for some livestock, but that likely will be several years from now (going to just start out with some chickens. :) ). The terrain is relatively flat. It's pretty level E-W, and going from North to South, drops about 20 feet to the pond, and then back up 20 feet as you reach the South edge. So no steep slopes to deal with. Areas A and C have had been cut and baled for hay in the past, although I don't know that they have this year. They don't seem particularly overgrown, certainly not a field of 3 foot weeds. The current owners have a horse they keep in areas B and D, so the weeds aren't too bad, although there are still some. We won't have a horse.

Second, my needs. I'd like to keep the weeds down and keep trees from growing in the areas outlined in the map. Eventually, I may grow and bale a little hay in areas A and C, if I can get some equipment cheap (like a small square baler). I'll need to plow the driveway in the winter. We don't get huge snows, but might see a few storms a year with a potential of 6 to 12 inches each. For putting up fencing in the future, I'd like to run a post hole digger. We'd like to put in a garden, perhaps eventually getting it to 1/2 acre in size, so running a 3 pt tiller might be nice. Then of course, there's the other uses that I'll know I'll use the tractor for, and soon wonder how I ever got along without it. :) My immediate needs, though, are to keep the weeds down and plow the drive.

Third, my budget. Since we're buying this place, cash is a little tight, so my budget for the tractor isn't very large. I've been looking in the $2000 to $5000 range.

My first thoughts were to get something like a Ford 8n. The smaller size (both for learning to use to a tractor, and maneuvability) appeals to me, as well as the easy availability of parts. However, for garden tasks such as using a rototiller, 1st gear is way too fast. I then looked at the 20 hp range Kubota tractors. I'd love one with a loader, but those are above my price range. I've also recently become concerned with the amount of time I'm going to spend mowing. So, that leads me to my current thoughts.

There's what looks to be a nice Allis Chalmers D17 nearby, for $2700. I think I could run a 6' brush hog on this, rather than a 4' behind a Kubota. I'm also thinking that I could maybe run a bit faster, such that I'd at least cut my mowing time by a third. This would also certainly be big enough to plow the drive with a back blade, and in the future if I was cutting and baling hay, big enough to run the baler. I understand than while an 8n could run a baler, it's a bit of a chore to do so. I could also run a 3 point post hole digger off this.

When a little more cash become available, I'm thinking I could then acquire something like an older smaller 15hp Kubota with a loader for the smaller chores, and to run a rototiller behind in the garden.

I'd be interested in any input on what I'm thinking, if I'm missing something, or what you would do if you were in the same position. Will the larger tractor be a pain to turn when mowing the fields (the large field is aout 700 ft E-W)? Will I find it harder to handle for plowing snow? I'm grateful for any input. Thanks!

Scott

area_sizes1.jpg

Last edited:
   / Looking for tractor suggestions to maintain my new property #2  
APPLESCOTTY, First of all Welcome to TBN...I see this is your first post, and the questions you have are good ones. I'm not an extremely experienced tractor guy by any means....as a matter-of-fact my L3200 with loader and backhoe is my first tractor ever. Keeping that in mind I wanted to throw my two cents worth in based on what type of acreage your dealing with. If your in a financial fix right now and can only afford a 2500 to 5000 dollar tractor then by all means do research on whichever tractor you find in that range to figure out how much of "someone elses problem" you'll be enheriting with such a purchase and go for it. I believe that you would want to stay in the 25 to 50 hp range in order to efficiently work the property you have with a brush hog and front end loader. If you look at alot of posts by other members you'll see that most of us (especially those of us living paycheck to paycheck) have found that although the price of a new tractor is comparable to a new car (at least in the 25 to 40 hp range with fel / brush hog) We have also discovered that its a much smarter choice because not only do you get a warranty (i.e. piece of mind) for a couple of years, but you are more importantly not buying a money pit which unfortunately most older used tractors are. Its new, and defect free, and ready to be put to immediate use. I say that to say this..... IF its possible for you to get financed through Kubota (like I did) You can buy a new tractor with FEL and Brush hog for around 17,000 dollars maybe even less depending of the model and hp you choose. If you bought a used tractor like you are thinking about, then eventually you will be suprised how close you come to that "new tractor" price in the long run because of fixing problems or buying attachments for it that suit your needs. When I started looking, I too decided to hunt down the cheapest good used tractor I could find to handle my property needs, and low-and -behold, I found most every one of them to be tractors in need of attention (MONEY) for that price range of around $5000.00. Then I started hunting newer used tractors (with about 150 to 500 hours on them) and discovered that the newest model of the same tractor at the dealership was only about 2000 to 3000 more than the asking price because Kubota's hold their value very well....not to mention I didnt know how well the seller had taken care of the tractor or if they knew something about it they werent telling me...soooooooo I ended up at the Kubota dealership and bought a 2011 L3200 with FEL, Bh77 backhoe, and a trailer for $25000, and I dont regret it one bit. (keep in mind a backhoe is $7500 of the total). The same tractor with a FEL, brush hog, and a trailer was about 17,500. I'm not trying to push an L3200 on you or anything, I just wanted to let you know that 32 hp is a good hp area to stick around during your hunt, and you will see it comes in much more handy when you have what you need on the first go around if possible. Hope this helps your decision making. Good luck and if you need anything else just ask...I'll do what I can!

/ Looking for tractor suggestions to maintain my new property #3  
TractorData.com Allis Chalmers D17 tractor information

A D 17 AC is a nice 60 HP and a lot of bang for the buck. It will handle a 7' bush hog just fine too. The live PTO is nice and I expect it has at least one set of remotes.

It is a tad on the big side in the mind of some. I felt that way when we first got the late FIL 1976 265 MF (about the same 60 HP class) but it sure is nice to be one size too big than one size too small. A lot on here are not really into to farm tractors naturally but it is good to have one heavy $3K tractor around the place. We have 15 hilly acres. It seems like 3PH equipment is not too much for expensive than for the small tractors. Often you can keep an old tractor at very little cost and 10 years later get your money back.

In the process of looking for a FEL for the MF we learned we could get a used full size backhoe for about same price. For $7200 we got a 1983 JD 310 BH (60HP) that has turned out to be a solid machine even though it has a lot of pin/bushing wear yet it still digs and pushes over big trees, etc just fine.

Keeping down investments in equipment until you learn your true equipment needs can be good cash management.

Last edited:
   / Looking for tractor suggestions to maintain my new property #4  
Wow, nice looking place and good post for your first one. Welcome.

Good advice above:thumbsup: so I won't clutter up the thread with redundant comments.

/ Looking for tractor suggestions to maintain my new property #5  
Where would you get parts for a Allis Chalmer? That is alot of tractor for $2700.

/ Looking for tractor suggestions to maintain my new property #6  
Welcome to TBN

Your thinking is correct.

Check the D17 over well before you buy, but it should do a fine job for you. You have a lot of acreage, and there ain't no way i'm gonna try to talk you into a smaller machine.

Tractor Data.com (TractorData.com Allis Chalmers D17 tractor information ), lists it as 52.70 PTO HP, so select attachments accodringly.

/ Looking for tractor suggestions to maintain my new property #7  
Welcome

/ Looking for tractor suggestions to maintain my new property #8  
   / Looking for tractor suggestions to maintain my new property #9  
   / Looking for tractor suggestions to maintain my new property #10  
Allis Chalmers made some good tractors so it is good to see that parts are available. I agree with others that the D17 if in good shape would make a nice tractor.