Buying Advice New John Deere 3038e Buying Experience

/ New John Deere 3038e Buying Experience #1  

LazyHRanch

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038e John Deere X540
I recently purchased a new John Deere 3038e and I love it. I spent a lot of time reading reviews and information all over the internet and mainly on this website. I visited the local dealerships and drove different equipment before I made my decision. Overall I spent close to a year looking reading looking reading looking before I decided to pull the trigger. I even visited 3 different John Deere dealerships in the area before committing.

I would encourage anyone looking for a tractor to visit all the dealerships close by and Drive the tractors in your price range. I looked at a red tractor a couple times without driving it and really liked it, but after a couple minutes on the seat I decided it would not work for me. (I am glad I did not buy it without driving it)

I did visit a couple dealerships after reading a tread on here that someone was quoted different prices at dealerships close to each other and found this to be very true. I was quoted 3 different prices for the same piece of equipment at 3 different dealerships.

I had a great buying experience. Spoke with the same salesman several times and was not pressured to buy anything. The dealer brought in the tractor from another dealer close by and still did not pressure me to buy it. He told me he would put it on hold for a week or so and if I did not want it not to worry about it he would sell it of sent it back. He did not call or anything unless I asked him too. I would recommend the deal to anyone.

I came to my decision on what tractor to buy based off my needs and how the tractor felt to me. I love the tractor I bought and would encourage anyone to try it out. I think it is the best tractor on the market in its category and that is why I bought it. There are lots of great equipment out there and if I thought they would have meet my needs I would have bought one of them.

I needed something to help me manage 11 acres and a gravel driveway. I have a lot of dirt work I am doing and bush hogging everything I do not cut with the little mower. I also needed something with hydro because I wanted my wife to be able to drive it. She is there most of the time I get myself into something and need some help getting out. (ie move the tree off the chainsaw without letting it fall on me) I wanted a loader to help with moving dirt and mulch. I wanted something that is light so I could pull it with an 18 foot trailer and a gas burner. I also wanted something with a low center of gravity so I did not have to worry about it tipping over when I was cutting on some of the hills around here. I got everything I wanted. The tractor will pull trees to a pile when burning them 5 times the size of the tractor. It will pick up a full scoop of wet red clay dirt and carry it anywhere with a box blade on the 3 point. It manages a 5 foot bush hog like it is not even behind it. It has taken projects that would take weeks to do by hand and turned them into an afternoon.

I know it did not happen unless you post pictures so check my profile pic. And as you can tell that little girl in the pic wants to be sitting on that tractor more than she wants me to hold her. And one advantage of buying green was that I can pick her up something with a green tractor on it just about anywhere.

In short thanks to everyone who post on here for all the advice. No matter what kind of tractor you drive. And if you are in the same boat I am, and trying to decide on what to buy, you will not be disappointed with a 3038e.

Tractor Pic New.jpg

/ New John Deere 3038e Buying Experience #2  
Congratulations, great looking tractor.

/ New John Deere 3038e Buying Experience #3  
Congratulations on the tractor, sounds like you are really pleased with it. Cute little future Deere operator you have there.

Don't be a stranger, join in the discussions.

/ New John Deere 3038e Buying Experience
Thanks

/ New John Deere 3038e Buying Experience #5  

Welcome to TBN and I enjoyed reading your first post. One thing, however...in my own buying experience back in late 2002, there were not a lot of dealerships to choose from nearby. There was one Kubota dealership closer to my home than any other place to buy, but they had a below average record for customer reviews. The closest green dealership was 30+ miles away, the closest NH dealership even further and they were a tiny three person location. I envied those who had the opportunity to shop around at multiple dealerships within a reasonable distance for the 3 major brands of CUTS. As for me, I chose a JD 4210, and am amazed at the reliability. Know what it has required in 992 operating hours aside from normal fluid and filter changes? Dealer fixed a fogging dash and replaced the OEM battery (leaking) while under warranty. Add one drive belt replacement, one coolant flush and refill, one weld on the mower deck ($25) one new front tire ($69 from Ebay) and two light bulbs and three fuses. Probably $120 total over the entire period.

/ New John Deere 3038e Buying Experience #6  
Welcome to TBN for sure. Nice positive post about your experience and a nice looking tractor.

/ New John Deere 3038e Buying Experience #7  
congrats on your new tractor!

/ New John Deere 3038e Buying Experience #9  
Well sounds like another happy John Deere owner to me. This or the 3032E will be my next just not sure which one is right. I drove the 3032 and it will do everything I need so I may not buy the 3038. However I also think in the back of mind why not buy and get the extra HP for brush hogging high grass.

Anyway glad to hear you are happy with the purchase and can't wait to hear more about it.

Kevin.

/ New John Deere 3038e Buying Experience
I also considered buying the 3032e. There was a used one across the river from me that was a good package deal with 3 implements. I also looked at a new one and it was 1k less than the 3038e. It worked out to 515 a horse power for the 32 vs 460 a horse power for the 38. That is all that it took to convince me. Also one of my goals of getting a tractor was to cut a lot of open yard fast. And the dealer I bought my tractor from had recently sold a 38e with a woods 12 foot fold down mower and the rear hydraulic hook ups on the tractor. That is one thing that the 38 will do that the 32 might not be able to handle. Alot of people have the 32 and love it. The hydraulic pressure on the steering pump and main pump are the same so no real advantage except the pto power and that is what was important to me. I recently picked up a great condition used land pride 6 foot finishing mower and it does great with it behind the tractor. It will do a great job till I can come up with some more big bucks for the big cutter. (Which will be a long time) What are you looking to do with the tractor?

And thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. It is so nice to have a good online tractor community.