Anyway to check on a Tractors History

/ Anyway to check on a Tractors History #1  

Mowman

Greetings, I am looking at a used 2001 model tractor. It is priced WELL below any price list I have seen. I have checked this price against GUIDES that the dealers have by simply calling different dealers and asking what the price would be for this particular tractor. They have all said the standard"...it depends on the condition and attachments..." which I understand.

My question is can the serial numbers be traced in any way, like a car can on CARFAX. I know Carfax is not fail proof, but at least it gives a person a chance to see if the car has prior problems. Could it be a Flood Tractor, or theft recovery?? Most tractor thefts, at least that I have heard of, were probably out of the country within a day or so.

Thanks Mowman

/ Anyway to check on a Tractors History #2  
In the car circles I run in, we often suggest that the purchaser (you) have a dealer take a look at the tractor for a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection). This usually runs around $100. My suggestion is to arrange with the seller to have a PPI done at a local dealer. You'll need to spring for the cost (including transportation), but then you'll have some piece of mind. And, if the deal is as good as you said, then the extra $100 or so won't be that big of a deal.

/ Anyway to check on a Tractors History #3  
Is this tractor coming from a dealer or private party? Is there any warranty? If it looks good, runs good, hydraulics work, I wouldn't worry about what it may or may not have been through if the price is right. Just figure they did a nice job of restoring it and enjoy it. The best car I ever owned, I suspect was a rebuilt wreck.

/ Anyway to check on a Tractors History #4  
New Holland can do this for service performed under the warranty period. I looked at 2001 TC45D with a Woods backhoe for $22K at a JD dealer. I called a NH dealer with the s/n and they were able to pull up a computerized history that said it was cracked in two by the backhoe!

I ended up purchasing a used 2001 TC40D that had a clean report.

Mark

/ Anyway to check on a Tractors History #5  
Pretty sure that for the major brands there is a record of where and when it was sold and any warranty claims made on the tractor. At least that is true with Kubota and JD. They also keep a record of stolen tractors that are reported to them. Get the serial number and check with a dealer of that brand. The going over by a mechanic is not a bad idea either. I can understand your concern if it is priced below the going rate. It is hard to find good used late model compacts and they hold their value well so why would one discount a 2001 model.

MarkV

/ Anyway to check on a Tractors History
Thanks for the fast response. I will get the serial number and check it out. It is a dealer who has it for sale, but not the manufacteuring dealer. Kind of like buying a Dodge from a Chevy dealer. Thanks for your help.

/ Anyway to check on a Tractors History #7  
I know Deere has the ability to pull up history on their CUT's so far as purchase, owner, warranty work, etc., from Deere dealers. I'd think a 2001 would have nothing but work under warranty so that should give you everything.

As to the great deal you're getting, good for you but I have one caution here. Make sure you're not buying a stolen one. I had someone tell me that's more common that we'd likely believe on private sales. The VIN should be run through a manufacturer's database to check on that or even NCIC if possible. There are good deals out there and I hope you found one.

/ Anyway to check on a Tractors History #8  
If the prior owner did not do all his own service work there should be a service history at the dealer who did or maybe the selling dealer has the service logs if the former owner kept them. Since I am not the greatest with the tools I keep all of the information on mine for my own knowledge plus as a record of how the tractor was maintained if I ever get the itch for a bigger tractor /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif