think trailering when buying tractor

/ think trailering when buying tractor #11  
Av,

You're allowed to start your own thread with a question. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This would actually be a good one for the "Related Topics" section.

/ think trailering when buying tractor #12  
why do ya gota trailer it anyhow, like others said unless ya got commercial insurance then ya gota be carefull about where ya do work off your property. and besides, tractors have wheels, if it aint to far ya can just drive it, i have a tractor that weighs over 12,000 lbs, just bare tractor, no loader etc, and i run that up the road all the time when i am haying, heck by the time i loaded it up, chained it down etc it would be just as fast to drive it. i dont have a trailer big enough to tow it anyhow. but even our smaller tractors i rarely trailer anywheres. just make sure ya got an smv and be alert.

/ think trailering when buying tractor #13  
I had not thought about the tractor issue much in connection with a tractor purchase - except that I was wondering if there was a way I could get double duty out of any trailer I bought (i.e., use it to haul tractor and also to be pulled by the tractor on the property to haul material around, bring rocks in, fence material, etc, with the proper hitches) but now I am wondering what I am facing re service issues when I need such - I will be, depending on the tractor I get, from 30 to 120 miles from the dealer - what is better, pay them to come out, rent a trailer, buy one ? I know this is a difficult question without details on costs etc, but looking for general advice here.

/ think trailering when buying tractor #14  
Hoemann00-

I was starting to feel real dumb when you mentioned the 1/2 ton silverado, because I've also got one and thought I might have confused things. Soooo... I checked my ford manual and sure enough the gross combined rating is 13,000. My F250 is a 96 with 5-speed and 5.8L motor, but if I had the bigger V8, my gross combined was 16,000. The only combination I could find in my 96 manual that approached 22,000 was the F450. If the rest of my family (big time chevy fans) finds out that my wimpy ford can't haul as much as their chevys I'll never hear the end of it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Then again, I really don't need to tell them /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ think trailering when buying tractor #15  
<font color="blue"> by the time i loaded it up, chained it down etc it would be just as fast to drive it </font>

Your tractor is obviously NOT a compact at that weight so what you do sin't something a lot of us can do. Bigger machines are generally faster machines than CUT's so it's not a fair comparision.

With a CUT like I have, I'd agree with you up to maybe a mile or so down the road, period. Beyond that, there's no way in heck I can drive my tractor (with a maximum speed of 13.1 mph) and get to my destination as quickly as I can trailering it.

If I take five minutes hooking up my trailer and another five loading the tractor and securing it, that's less than a quarter mile I've given up that I could have travelled had I just started driving it down the road. Factor in comfort and safety and there's no contest.

/ think trailering when buying tractor #16  
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this, but doesn't it make a HUGE difference wether the trailer is a gooseneck or a tongue type? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I see people getting away with murder hauling tractors on goosenecks, whereas a tongue type trailer would be out of the question at that same tractor weight. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ think trailering when buying tractor #17  
My F250 is 22,000lbs GCVW. They did make the baby F250 in the F150 body style that is for all practical purposes a F150

/ think trailering when buying tractor #18  
Ron, I had two Kubotas (one at a time) that I bought from a dealer 50 miles from home, a B7100 first, then a B2710. Before I bought the first one, I had a 5' x 10' tiltbed trailer and my brother had a 6' x 16' trailer, but it stayed at my house. I frequently pulled those trailers behind the tractors hauling brush, barrels of water, hay, dirt, sand, lumber, riding mowers, etc. I also used the larger trailer to haul the tractors, but only once did I take one of them back to the dealer, left it overnight, and returned for it the next morning. Sometimes we hauled the tractors on the larger trailer to my brother's place 7.75 miles, and sometimes we just drove the tractors over there. The larger trailer was a tandem axle trailer, but neither of them had brakes. I would not recommend anyone haul tractors on trailers without brakes, but I lived so far out in the boondocks that there was little traffic (I've driven the tractor to my brother's place without seeing a single car on the road, although I would usually see 1 to 3 other vehicles about every 10 miles). So, with the extremely light traffic and the fact that my brothers and I have been pulling every kind of trailer imaginable since we were teenagers, we used what we had (carefully).

So, my recommendation would be to buy a tandem axle trailer, with brakes, of a suitable size to haul the tractor when you want to, and then also use it behind the tractor as you said.

/ think trailering when buying tractor #19  
Is this enough trailer??? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

My 34' gooseneck with Kioti DK65 tractor with loader. Landpride 7' finish mower,, and Polaris Sportsman 500. All this being pulled by a Supercharged 454 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RedDog

Attachments

• 285448-tractortrailer.jpg
    285448-tractortrailer.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 174
   / think trailering when buying tractor #20  
My 10,000 lb trailer weighs in at 2,250. With your load of 7,500 lbs I'd be totally maxed on the trailer. I like to have a little fudge factor and would go with a 12,000 gooseneck trailer for that tractor.